1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AR recommendations?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chow_yun_fat, Oct 23, 2015.

1. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Plan on picking up an AR in a few months, in case my neighbors turn into zombies.

Is it better to purchase a Colt LE6920 or piece together one?

What are must have accessories for an AR?

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If you're new to ARs then probably best to just buy one unless you have a friend that can advise you on parts and put it together for you. The 6920 is a solid pick up. Daniel Defense is probably my fave AR, a bit pricier than the 6920 though. The Colt comes with magpul sites usually so you'll probably want to get a red dot or a scope. There's a company in Texas called Primary Arms that makes quality red dots and scopes at good prices. My advice is go shoot some ARs first, rent if you have to. Buds Gun Shop online tends to have pretty good prices when you're ready to buy.

3. chow_yun_fat

Thanks! I'm leaning towards the LE6920 because I have experience with them. I built a M4 through DD's website and it came out to almost $1,800. I called local gun shops and they are selling the LE6920 for under $900.

Almost everyone I have spoken to recommend DD over everything else, especially if customization is important. In the end, I'll probably purchase a DD later in the year. When I purchase a DD, it'll be very similar to this. http://www.primaryarms.com/02-108-15174/p/02-108-15174/

What AR's do you own? and why do you like the DD over Colt?

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Vivi has a good strong man to protect her.

5. CometsWin

I have a Bushmaster and a DD M4V11 LW. I like the DD because it has a mid length gas system and a 16 inch barrel and just generally higher quality parts. It has a long ass rail too which is more comfortable to shoot for me, just hate those little Magpul handguards. I think the Colt flash hider is pinned too so if you ever wanted to add a silencer it would be a pain in the ass to deal with the flash hider. You can't go wrong with either brand really.

6. chow_yun_fat

Nice!, but what is the purpose of having a long rail over the barrel? How long have you owned the M4v11 and how many rounds have you put through it?

Is there any shop that offers discounts on DD AR's in Houston?

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Get an smg instead.

A little worse in long distance but better in close quarters combat due to its higher rate of fire.

8. CometsWin

Well if you extend your arm to hold the rail as far away as possible with your hand over rather than under and have it still be comfortable it helps to hold the weapon more steady when firing. So that 15 inch rail is a benefit in place of that 9 inch handguard or however long they are. When you hold the handguard or rail from the bottom with your elbow bent and fire it'll tend to bounce around more. If you're using sights, the rail allows you to put the front sights much farther away from the rear sight than the sight post on the Colt. The farther away the sights are from each other the more accurate the shot, hopefully. Plus you can add flashlights and other stuff to those rails that you really can't to that magpul handguard on the Colt. I have about 500 rounds through it.

Honestly I would scout out what you want in person and then just buy online from a reputable dealer and have it shipped to an FFL for a fee ($20-25 is a good price). It will usually come out cheaper than buying it locally even with the transfer fee.

#8 CometsWin, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Get a Larue or GAP AR-10. Not a fan of 5.56 because they aren't really useful for non combat purposes.

10. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

.308's are so much more useful, but the AR-10 does not need to be anywhere near as heavy as it is. There's a reason they aren't more popular......they just aren't designed all that well.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I have a .25-45 Sharps that I really like.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You definitely want that in case multiple armed men are invading your house and start a gun fight. Maybe also give a long range AR to your wife so that she can clean enemy waves from distance, that way your chances of survival are better.

And definitely equip one of the children with a shotgun for making the easy kills, they don't need great aim for that.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The Larue is only 10 pounds with the short barrel. I've seen both the GAP and the Larue shoot clover leafs at 100 yards and get out 1000 yards pretty easily in the longer barrels.