1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

April fools ? Joey dorsey ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matthieu, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

sorry to start a thread for this, but i dont see it mentionned elsewhere

really, we have interest in this guy, again ??

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

The return of ray lewis with a basketball. lmao.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Let Wade Phillips do something with him.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Would give us a PF that can rebound, block and body up, wouldn't mind if we sign him.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

People act like Dorsey's a total bum, but he's not. Sure, he was not a "successful pick" by the Rockets, and his selection was further tarnished by DeAndre Jordan's success in the NBA, but he did last a few years in the league on three teams (including getting a second NBA contract), and he'll probably find another NBA gig soon enough.

Were there really 33 players in the 2008 NBA Draft class who were clearly better than Joey Dorsey?

I don't think so.

6. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Maybe Morey still has some hope that he is not a bust.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Morey's ego v. The reality of Joey Dorsey

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I saw him at the summer league. He has no real skills. He wasn't even dominating summer leaguers.

9. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

i'm not saying he's a bust, but if understand him correctly he wants to be an important part of the team he will join and with what he's shown so far in the league i think he's fooling himself if he thinks it can be with the rockets ... i may be wrong (but i doubt it) ^^

10. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Morey has always loved this kid. At one point he said Dorsey is the future of big men. Fast and strong. After Sac released him Morey was first in line to re-sign him. Dorsey refused not wanting anything to do with the vipers again and signed with Toronto.

Now Morey is hot on his tails again. Morey sees an under valued talent. A poor mens Nene. And I agree. Or at least I see that talent. Dorsey is an amzing specimen. The problem is he is a coaches nightmare. He just doesn't get it. No matter how many times you explain defenses to him he still misses assignments and then he gets frustrated and annoyed. At least that is what I see.

He is older now and he may have changed his attitude somewhat but his bb IQ is probably the same. I still see a role for him as an energy defender. He blocks shots and rebounds and can get physical like very few in the NBA. So I would throw a couple of mil at him if he were available. But McHale would have to be on board. Signing Dorsey to warm the bench for 48 minutes is stupid. And after few times of trying to explain how up high and Dorsey not getting it might be too much to ask.

2 people like this.
  11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Well, maybe Rick's offense was too complex for him. Machale's seems rather simpleminded to be honest. This could affect results.

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Backhanded compliment if I ever saw one.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If he has matured, it would be a decent pickup. He has proven that he can rebound and body up at this level. Its the the other stuff that he had problems with.

14. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Certainly could.

Low basketball IQ bigs had no place in Rick's system. The stuff we've run under McHale is more about setting good screens, rolling hard and crashing the glass than reading and reacting to the defense.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Exactly. I would go one step further. He was extremely immature when he played for us. I remember a time when Adelman had to yell his name several times for him to enter the game because he was yukking it up on the sideline with....well, teammates. I.e., "JOEY! JOEY! JOEY! GET IN THE GAME!"

Another exactly. Morey can't keep paying/acquiring players that the coaches won't play.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Joey was always a monster rebounder... he could probably put Kris Humphries to shame given the same minutes. If he had half a brain he could've been a high level roleplayer in the NBA. Problem is he constantly does stuff like foul out in 1 quarter, miss assignments/rotations, etc. He makes Javale McGee look like Battier.

17. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

I remember in his last few games as a Rocket he showed flashes of competency. He was getting some actual minutes, most likely only to be showcased, but he was doing pretty well in those minutes.

18. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

It is, they just run the flex over and over, no?

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Another undersized PF, Yippee !!

DD

1 person likes this.
  20. gah

gah Member

But he WAS a bum, at least for his time here.