1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple September 2016 Event

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Sep 7, 2016.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Just remember, right now you get a trade in credit when you buy an iphone and trade in your iphone 5. I think you get $400 in bill credits plus the trade in value of your iphone 5 (which is probably only $50 but still that's something).

Personally I wouldn't miss the trade in window if you know you want to buy an iphone.

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, I group message with iphone peeps and no issues... I do not use the default messenger though.. Don't get me wrong imessage is nice, but it's possible to get it to work correctly :)

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Use Textra or similar app, default messenger app is a pos on android (typically depending on handset). Hangouts is close but not reliable like Textra (just buy the pro version), no issues chatting with iphone users (or screwing up chat/seeing odd attachments).

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Anyone know if they are planning to release Iphone 7s or will they go straight to Iphone 8?

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hmm... Well typically the cycle is norm then s, but it probably doesn't matter, each phone has about a yearly cycle.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I mean unless you're waiting for the 8, where they take away the builtin speakers and force you to use airbuds on a new proprietary Bluetooth setup :)

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I've seen a lot of talk of how the 7 isn't what they wanted it to be but will have all that in the 8.. was just curious if the 8 is two years away or one.. with upgrade discounts, trying to factor in whether its worth getting the 7 now or waiting a year for the 8.

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

It's been over 6 years since I've bought a phone so I need some help. A few dumb qeustions... instead of pre-ordering online, can I just go to an Apple Store on the 16th and pick it up instead? Can I trade in my iPhone 4s at the Apple Store to save a few bucks? Will it be automatically unlocked for T-Mobile where I can just slip my sim card in?

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Gotcha, I want to say I saw something like that too, but haven't heard much since after the release news. I think if you're on a phone older than 2 years it's probably not a bad time (especially if you qualify for the discounts that can beat ebay/private sale), but like always there's going to be something better coming, I'd still figure it'd be a minimum of one year regardless though.

One thing nice on Apple products vs Android is they hold their value extremely well but you'll typically have to go through eBay or something similar. So not best buy/gazelle etc., I mean unless Apple/carrier/store keep doing these great promos. For a while when I was using Apple could almost upgrade every 1-2 years for not much loss (definitely no where near the loss on my Android sets).

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

People assume next year will be the "big" upgrade because it will be the 10 year anniversary of iPhone's.

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

If you want a 7 it's probably easier online (at least for day one). I'd try to find the most value for 4s,but I'm not sure

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Sorry, meant not sure who's promo is best for trading in 4s. Apple definitely had trade in program before (even one online for Apple gift cards toward the purchase of phone). Shouldn't be issue on t-mobile as long as your sim fits and it's the right headset version.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

People assume next year will be the "big" upgrade because it will be the 10 year anniversary of iPhone's.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

There should not be much of a difference with a 4s. That version came out 5 years ago now. If cost is important I would look at the other factors that affect $$.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

You're not going to get much of anything by trading in a 4s. If it still works, you'd be better off keeping it as an MP3 player.

16. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

That must only be an instore promotion or over the phone because I don't see anything like that online. I'm gonna look for it though. Thanks bruh.

17. mrm32

mrm32 Member

iPhone X confirmed.

18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

will Apple give a discount for the iPhone 7 for university students?

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, I missed out on Some promo around December through Apple trade-in $100-$150 or so for 4 during December. obviously that's not crazy cash but better than paperweight at whatever it's worth now. Yeah, and definitely correct on money regarding 4s and being able to afford a 7 etc.

If I was getting a 7.. I would just get it and figure out the trade in later, but it sounds like Apple/whoever is giving some nice deals on the older phones (so free money) and better than just having it in a drawer (unless you're donating it to someone/charity)

20. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Anyone know if ATT is doing any trade in deals?