1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple September 2016 Event

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Sep 7, 2016.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

USB-C has higher data capacity and is the industry replacement for USB as a whole. All USB ports will eventually become Type C ports (including ports on computers).

USB-C is the new standard and its reversible so its a common standard for power and data using the same end point.

The other thing to note is that by getting rid of the headphone jack, the phone's built in DAC is no longer required. The digital to analog converter is required for headphones and most phones used the built in DAC on the Qualcomm SOC but some phones (like a OnePlus 3 or HTC 10) have their own high quality DACs.

By removing the headphone jack, you no longer need a built in DAC. Instead, companies can put the DAC in the headphones themselves or in an adapter/dongle that connects to the lightning/USB-C port. This allows companies to actually sell headphones that are truly better than others instead of being dependent on how the phone's DAC delivers music.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

USB 3 had 480Mbps. That is more that enough bandwidth for audio. USB always had signal and power on the same connector. USB-C just added more wires.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

USB-C was not designed for headset replacement. It was designed to bring uniform for all connectors. This include video. 480Mbps is not enough for 4k streaming.

4. geeimsobored

USB 3.0 had data throughput for audio but no hardware. No one designed headphones for USB 3.0 because there were no devices with it. USB 3.0 didn't even take off as a standard outside of the Galaxy S5 (which quickly reverted to USB 2.0 on the S6). Also USB-C is designed to handle data transfers that make it possible to do almost anything. It's a standard that works for PCs as well as phones.

Hardware manufacturers will only follow the standards being adopted by OEMs. In this case, USB-C is clearly taking off and is rapidly replacing the old USB standard and because of this, Apple felt comfortable dumping the headphone jack knowing that android devices will soon follow them.

Apple has been waiting forever to finally do this but now that USB-C is becoming a reality, its not a big bold step anymore. Plus as I've pointed out, Apple isn't even the first to do this.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

good quality bluetooth audio hasn't been invented yet.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I wonder how breakable newer os will be (no not ****ty but jailbreak/root). I'm pro android but haven't been too happy with the locked bootloaders subsidized/network locked Android sets. Also Samsung caught the fire bug, Apple had some issues too but not like this.

I doubt I'll go back to Apple I hate ****ty iTunes and the fact you can't just move ****ing files because Apple locks it down... But that camera on the new phone looks pretty damn sweet.

Not happy on 3.5 either and I'm sure inevitable lightning adapter with charger and 3.5 will be coming, haha. Yes... Bluetooth blah blah, but if you're using phone for crazy audio rips and high-end audio transport... Then wired is it.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

exactly!!!! .. It's convenience vs quality. Don't get me wrong BT works, just if you're doing uncompressed rips from audio that hasn't been over sampled to hell... BT will stand out as **** vs wired. Especially on an expensive audio system or wired headphones that aren't named "Beats" (you know actual HQ headphones). Don't get me wrong their studio version stuff is okay... But there's a lot better options.

Unfortunately just like the streaming vs Blu Ray it's all about easiness, quantity and quick access vs Superior Quality. I mean eventually compression could get there but it's not even close. And it's not there on BT either

Also ****ing record producers need to stop the loudness war ****, that's why vinyl is making a comeback (because they normally don't touch it for over production)... Sorry for rant.

8. geeimsobored

Locked bootloaders are the future thanks to mobile payments. Companies (especially Samsung) want you to use their mobile payment systems and that means having a locked bootloader as a security step. Mobile payments qualify as "secure" payments in the payment world which has very strict rules. Now some android OEMs will still have them unlocked because they don't care about Android Pay but since Samsung has its own payment system, it will most likely lock everything going forward.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Very true. I also agree on your comment about Apple vs Samsung service offering.

The only thing that sucks is they need to train their reps on how to handle the touch disease or whatever issue it is (I'm not sure how widespread it is but iphone 6s headsets have some issue that's easily fixed with soldering). Apple probably isn't fixing these yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. I used to fix phones on the side for friends (their screens especially after the 4s were super easy to fix, but apple figured that out... and now repair shops can't get close to their prices of fixing a cracked screen with an actual Apple one). Those shops would have to do the repair for free if they're using a real screen to compete with Apple. So Apple definitely caught on.

http://ifixit.org/blog/8309/iphone-6-plus-gray-flicker-touch-death/

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

"Airbuds" are just about the dumbest idea ever. Not only do the headphones that come with iPhones suck, the streets are gonna be filled with all these things that people will inevitably lose

11. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

It doesn't seem that hard for the technology to prevent you from losing an airpod. It is already has a speaker and microphone to make a loud noise, or respond to a verbal prompt like Marco or something. It already connects to your phone, so if it is in range of your phone the phone can already locate it.

So all the software on the phone needs to do is in the situation that the buds are not in the case or in your ear, the phone could prompt you if you have them or forgot them. Then a button or gesture on the phone could all you make the bud ping loudly so you find it if you dropped them.

Maybe that all seems too simple though...

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

People's excuse is that apple take the initiative to hasten obsolescence as they are a major market force with that power. It isn't a good argument or the reason they are doing it though.

They are doing it because it helps their market strategery and their customers have spoken loudly they don't care about high quality audio.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It is designed to be a universal be-all connector, including an analog headphone jack replacement. The USB-C spec specifically called out 4 analog audio signals assignment through the USB-C connector. This means you can use existing analog headphone with a 3.5mm to USB-c adapter and you could offer new analog headphones with a usb-c connector.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

that isn't what apple is doing. apple has a software supported dongle that could in theory only be used with apple or apple supported headphones.

15. geeimsobored

Which is true but then again so are all OEM's. Android phone manufacturers will happily push their versions of wireless or Type C headphones as well. This isn't a criticism specific to Apple. This is an industry trend.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure what they do but that doesn't surprise me at all. Business smart or greed.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Order placed for a 128 GB iPhone 7 in Jet Black. Got it in by 2:05 AM, so we'll see if I get it on Day 1.

Wife said I don't even hop out of bed like THAT for work.

18. geeimsobored

Well, I'm finally caving and getting an iphone. Hard to be in a family where everyone else has an iphone. Especially when traveling abroad for work, facetime and facetime audio are invaluable and the alternatives (Skype, Hangouts, etc..) don't perform as well in low bandwidth situations.

Already hating the idea of iOS endless row of apps with no app drawer or widgets but Apple is simply too good when it comes to the quality of some of its integrated services.

19. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Have you tried Duo? https://duo.google.com/