1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple Laptop vs. PC Laptop

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Actsao, Apr 8, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Actsao

Actsao Contributing Member

Need some advice about switching from pc to Apple in the near future. I have never touch a Apple/Mac comouter before, but understood that Apple has always been more superior and stable vs PCs. I will be getting an Apple Laptop soon for work and just trying to prepare for the switch. The thing I am most concerned about is the software compatibilty. Is it true that an Apple computer won't have any problem opening a document/program that was written for and written in a PC?

Also, please hlep in giving me some advantages and disadvantages of using an Apple Laptop. Thanks in advance.

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Apple laptops generally are more expensive and usually weaker in terms of its specs when compared to PC laptops.

Yes Mac OSX is much more stable than windows and in terms of documents, it's not a problem since both macs and pcs use microsoft office, Adobe Acrobat, and other major document programs. Windows, however, still owns the market and thus will naturally have software that doesn't work on a mac.

Also, now new macintosh computers can run windows on them as well. So you can have both MS Windows and Mac OSX on your computer if you need to run programs that only work on Windows.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Be sure you get one of the new models with an Intel processor. I think they're the ones that can run Windows.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No they aren't.

5. yc324

yc324 Member

Yeah, I think these Macbook Pros are the way to go. With Boot Camp, you can run both WinXP AND OSX on the same machine.

Here are some pics my friend took of the installation process.

6. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

apple specs may seem weaker, but they aren't, but I'm really itching to get a mac with boot camp, cept I'd have to buy a mac plus spend 200 on an XP disc

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i posted this in the other thread about boot camp...

i just got a macbookpro...

it awesome..clearly faster and more capable of running multiple operations at the same time...

video and audio editing, far superior...

but something as simple as opening an attachment in WORD from an e-mail is imposiible...

i dont even think this computer has a word processor on it, let alone Microsoft Word..

and the other thing is Media pLayer...

I have tried downloading Windows Media Player 9 for Mac OSX five times, but everytime I go to a site which requires WMP, I cannot get the MP to open correctly...

I cant upload my DVD to youtube or myspace, I dont have a clue what program i need...

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Apples running G5 processors are inferior to Apples running Intel processors, feel free to read up on it... G5s are inferior to Intel/AMD and have been for years and that is the main reason Apple has started building Intel based macs. I bought a 15" G4 Titanium Powerbook in 2003 for nearly $2000, meanwhile the $800 1.3GHz Dell Latitude I had for work was MUCH faster for day to day uses so I ended up selling the Powerbook. I love Apple and have a purchase in my near future, but their performance on their processors haven't been up to par since PC/Notebook processors hit 1GHz in 2000... them switching to Intel chips is their saving grace.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

My buddy has a titanium power book that he uses for all sorts of video projects -- it works very well. It's getting old now, but it still does the job. The fit and finish was better than any laptop i've ever seen ~ it absolutely killed the Dell I used to use. That thing flamed out and dell wouldn't honor the warranty. :mad:

That Apple was VERY expensive though. :eek:

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I just found out today that Fijitsu laptops don't have the repair feature found on most computer industry restore disks. One of the biggest pains in the ass I've ever seen.

11. hz10

hz10 Contributing Member

I've been using both Mac and PC. The new MacBook Pro uses the most recent Intel Chips and its memory is faster than most of the PC notebook. It also has a build-in webcam (iSight). However, you don't have many choices of the video card. Yes, you can bootcamp MBP into XP if one is installed. You will not be able to use the built-in webcam though.

Two features that I really like are the backlighted keyboard and the double-finger scrolling trackpad. What you will missing is the convenience of right-click. On my hand, Mac also wakes up much much more gracefully than PC.

You can open PC word file in OS X with little problem, if at all. But there are always problems with PowerPoint files if the pictures are inserted by copy-paste. This is more of a problem if the file is created on a Mac because it uses the PICT format, which PC cannot read properly. However, if you insert the picture as TIFF file, there should be no problem. You will also encounter problems if you have to print to old printers.

Another problem with Mac is the compatibility of the web browser. Many less-used plugins are not available for OS X and some web sites cannot be rendered properly on a Mac. I also have problem with window player files.

12. superden

superden Contributing Member

i have an ibook g4 and overall i must say i am quite satisified with it. there have been some minor problems here and there, but if you do buy a mac, get the extended warrenty. it is really worth it. i have had some things happen to my computer a couple times. you give them a call, they send you a box, you mail it in the next day, and you get it back 2 days later. it is a very fast process and they are very good with customer service. you don't have to pay for any shipping or repair costs. i have seen my friend get OWNED by hp with his laptop problems.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The lack of video card options is definitely one of the weakest things about Macs. As a PC game player, that's a pretty big problem, if I'm looking at possibly getting one. It's something I wish they would address. Most of the Apple stuff, otherwise, is damned impressive.

14. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

macs rule.

well mac laptops do. i used one for about 3 years, learned alot, lots of fun to use. you can get almost all types of software/programs for mac that you would ever need.

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

that is the downside to all of Apple's neat little machines.....expansion is difficult at best

That is one of the reasons why I was glad all I could afford was a used G4 tower..at least I can upgrade to a better AGP card and if I desire, I could easily upgrade the dual processors to more powerful ones (can you say dual 1.8Ghz processors?:D)....a downside to the older G4...the RAM is only SDRAM...no DDR....but it is still pretty damn quick anyway.

as far as the superiority of Mac over PCs...well, I hear about that all the time...but I must give credit to MS...My XP box crashes about as often as my OSX does....very rarely. Its all in how you keep the machine...I protect mine from all security threats, and am careful in what I load on it...I may have a application crash from time to time...but the OS itself is pretty damn stable for one made by Satan's own company.