1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple + For All Mankind

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 20, 2022.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What station is Apple+?

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Channel 13.. They are going to get Tom Hanks to fill in Marvin Zindler's position. ;)

3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes that is foreshadowing somethings that happen in Season 2.

4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Hmm... I'm on episode 3, and it's like 9 years in the future, maybe i missed it, but it doesn't seem like he did anything? if I already missed that help me out, I was zoning out last night in the first 2 episodes of season 2

edit: nvrmind just saw it

#24 STR8Thugg, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    rocketsjudoka likes this.
  5. STR8Thugg

Finished season 2, it wasn't as good as the first season, and I personally don't love all of the time gaps, but it was still pretty good. Apparently season 2 had a different director, which may be why I didn't like it as much as the first.

Banging the 18 year old she helped raise? Then telling her husband about it right before he goes off to space? I could have dealt without all the super scandalous weird drama.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Interesting most critics liked Season 2 more. It has a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes while Season 1 only had 73%
    Yes that was very jarring with Karen banging the Danny, especially since it was Gordo and Tracy's son. It was meant to show how deeply troubled the Baldwin's marriage was. Also while Karen told Ed just before he left on Pathfinder that was because Ed insisted. I'll have to rewatch it but I don't think she told Ed who it was.

In the end the show is still a drama and that includes some jarring stuff but I don't think it's as over the top or leads to questioning why these people are even Astronauts. Compare it to Stargate Universe and apologies to anyone who hasn't seen it but the shows been off the air for a decade now. You have a colonel in the USAF deliberately stranding a top scientists who is essential to the survival of the team because the scientist tried to frame the colonel over a relatively minor difference of opinion.

7. STR8Thugg

Hmm that is interesting, season 1 is better in my book. Like I said I liked season 2, but just not as much.

She did not say who it was, and yeah he insisted on knowing, but that's on her for getting all emotional and acting weird to begin with. It would be one thing if it was a rando 18 year old, but it was basically a child she helped raise, so it's damn near incest in my book. Hey, at least she propped up his ego and told him he was good.

Props to Ed for not going through with his revenge sex with that rando 3/10, that definitely was not going to help him feel better, smh

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

One thing I find interesting in shows with sprawling timelines is the ages of characters versus the actors that portray them. In GOT this is the most pronounced as in the books Jon and Rob are supposed to be in their mid teens while Daenerys is only 13 when she is married to Kal Drogo.

In For All Mankind it's stated several times that Ed Baldwin served in the Korean War and was already married to Karen. As a pilot who went to the Naval Academy that would put him probably 23 at the time of the War. By the Moon Landing he would've been around 39, which is about the age of the actor Joel Kinnaman. Since the show jumps to the early 80's by the 2nd season both Ed and Karen should be in their early to mid 50's. The actress that plays Karen, Shantel VanSanten, is only 36.

On a tangent for the "Boomer" thread for those of us Gen-X and older think about this. The time gap between the Korean War and the Reagan Presidency is shorter than the Reagan Presidency to now.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Cool looking forward to it. Obviously as they get further and further from the events of Apollo the less the timeline relates to our timeline. As a political junkie I'm curious how they are going to work in geopolitical things. For example it appears that the USSR is still going strong in the 90's.

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gordo was the best character. Still pissed they killed him off.

A show about the prissy engineer boss lady and the closeted lesbian politician doesn't sound very appealing to me. Worst buddy cop show ever.

All the remaining characters are all stereotypical archetypes more than actual characters. They are defined in my mind by the labels they wear more than being actual dynamic characters.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

S3 has dropped

In the extra content of news stories in the decade between S2 and S3, the Portland Trailblazers beat the Detroit Pistons in 1989, with Michael Jordan leading the way. :D

Portland drafted him…lulz

ofc, they could have done the Sampson for Jordan trade, instead ….

#32 heypartner, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    Deckard, clos4life and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Haven’t seen it yet but will probably wait until the season is done and binge it

14. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Wow episode 1 of Season 3 was stressful. Great way to kick off the new season.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I rewatched the last two episodes of season 2 yesterday but am going to hold off getting into season 3 until a few more episodes come out.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I've been watching this season and so far still delivering.

Also in the last episode there was Shiner beer! Love the attention to detail of this show.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  17. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Damn, I was hoping you were sharing your Apple+ login with everyone...

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yea, I like this show a lot.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Nope...

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm becoming more of a fan of Hard Sci-Fi (science fiction based on extrapolating from current technology and physics) and that is a one of the reasons why I like this show. It is interesting to note though when they get it wrong or don't bother with scientific accuracy.

Without going into spoilers centrifugal gravity plays a big part of this season but one of the biggest issues of a centrifuge is also the coriolis effect as as not only would a centrifuge provide an outward force on objects in it it also provides an sideways force from the spin of the centrifuge. The Expanse addressed this some in this very clever scene.

It For All Mankind, and many other sci-fi, they don't address it but act as though centrifugal force would act just like gravity. The Coriolis effect though especially in something the size of a space station might be very pronounced. Here is a good discussion on that:

Deckard likes this.