1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Apartments] Lease Obligation Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fallenphoenix, Dec 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Hello everyone,

Got myself in an interesting position, and I'd like to know what my options are.
    So right now I'm living on the south part of town, and I work up north. Morning commute isn't an issue (20 minutes), but in the afternoon it takes
    me an hour to get home.

I'm working as a contractor, and the company will decide whether or not I'll be brought on as a full time employee next month. Just to cover my bases, I've been applying to other jobs in case I can find a better one or the off chance they don't take me on as a FTE. However, my employers have indicated everything is going fine, and I should expect to be hired on.

Now, my current lease is up next month, so I've been looking for an apartment closer to my work to avoid the long drive home I'm currently enduring. I've found one, and I've completed the application process, given my deposit and been accepted, but haven't signed the lease yet.

The question is if I find a job that happens to be down south, do I have any obligation to go through with the apartment and sign the lease if I've indicated I intend to do so? The new apartment up north would be another long commute if my new job is down south.

2. The Boz

The Boz Member

Not obligated until you sign lease. You will not get back application fee. You SHOULD get back deposit.

3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Thanks, that's what I was assuming. Just wanted some confirmation.