1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apartment hunting in San Diego

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HI Mana, Jul 24, 2009.

1. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Hey all, I'll be attending UC San Diego in the fall, going after my PhD, and need to start hunting for an apartment in the area. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look, or what neighborhoods are nice/lively/whatever?

From what I've seen thus far, La Jolla is pretty damn expensive, and on a grad student stipend, I'm not sure if I can afford $1400+ for a single. On the other hand, not sure if I want to do the undergrad thing all over again and get a random roommate (or 3) on campus.

I will have a car, but I've heard that parking is terrible on campus, and catching the shuttles are a whole lot easier.

Thanks!

2. limedeal

limedeal Member

Hey! I can't help you find an apartment, but I am going to UC San Diego this fall as an undergrad freshman. Pretty cool to see someone going out there too.

3. keeyanballa08

keeyanballa08 Member

Hey my brother in law has a place about 20 minutes from UC San Diego. Its in Scripps Ranch, area is really nice and quiet. If you are interested, just message me through the board and give me your contact info, and I will hand it over to him to give you a call and you can get more details and check it out. Just incase the messaging through the board doesnt work, my email is keeyanballa@yahoo.com

4. Crudder

Crudder Member

Hey HI Mana,

I lived in SD for a few years so I know the area quite well. Here's the deal. You're going to find the nicest area in La Jolla because it's one of the richest in San Diego. It's gorgeous there and the high rise apartments are built like hotels. Unfortunately, like you said, it's expensive. Even living in a double can run you about $1000. The farther north or south you travel from La Jolla, the cheaper it gets (unless you are living in downtown).

I lived in central SD because it was close to everything but would hate driving to La Jolla every day (can be a 45 minute commute with traffic). Mira Mesa isn't too far from La Jolla and is much more affordable. Then again, I also had friends who lived in La Jolla and found good deals.

Let me know if you want to know specific areas in central SD that are really affordable or what not. Hope this helped.

5. keeyanballa08

keeyanballa08 Member

Oh yeah btw I meant to add that he is renting it out so you will not be checking an occupied apartment but possibly your new home.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

scyang and sunsrocketsfan are in SD

RAID will be moving back there

hopefully they chime in

my sisters godson is currently attending UCSD as an undergrad and my roommate went there for his undergrand I'll ask them for tip and will post whatever they say in here

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Member

I live in San Diego as well ...

Are you looking for closest proximity to UCSD ... That area can be pricey, but the rest of the county isn't that much cheaper for apartments to rent, especially North County. Rent seems to have skyrocketed out here since the foreclosure problems. We were renting a house in the South Bay for $1500 and when we just bought a house the new tenant is paying $2300.

I lived in Mission Valley and loved being there in the center of the city and there are some decent places to rent at avg prices. If you look hard enough, you'll find some decent apartments near UCSD that are going to be competitive with rates throughout most of North County.

8. Crudder

Crudder Member

I second this. I lived in Mission Valley and it is a wonderful area, particularly close (depending on where you live) to Costco, Walmart, Frys, etc. You can find a two BR over there anywhere from 1400-2000s (the upper range is for the apts right next to Costco which are gorgeous).

I would suggest living in Mission Valley BUT the commute to La Jolla will be a pain in the ass everyday. Not sure if you want to do that.

9. Wakko67

Wakko67 Member

Add me to this list of those living in SD. I recently moved to Pacific Beach from downtown. Downtown was cool, but expensive. PB is a lot more laid back and you can find some decent places for ok prices. Its a little more expensive than some places, but you're near the beach and there's great nightlife here.

I went on Craig's List and looked for a roommate. I ended up finding a pretty cool one and am paying about $800 for my half of a two bedroom. The bay is about two blocks away. It is nice. Its not the most luxirious apartment, but nice enough where it isn't an issue.

Mission Valley is another good area that you can usually find good deals. The big thing with that is you're pretty close to everything. After that just look around and see whats out there.

If you have any questions, let me know.