1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AP source: MLB forcing Astros out of NL

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SidDaKid, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SidDaKid

SidDaKid Member

By KRISTIE RIEKEN, AP Sports Writer 2 hours, 1 minute ago

HOUSTON (AP)—Major League Baseball told Houston businessman Jim Crane it would not approve his purchase of the Astros unless he agreed to move the team to the American League, The Associated Press has learned.

Crane was forced to agree to move the sale along, a person familiar with the negotiations said Wednesday on condition of anonymity because no official announcement has been made by MLB or the Astros. Approval of the sale could be announced as early as Thursday at a meeting of baseball executives in Milwaukee.

Crane reportedly agreed to the move in exchange for a drop in the sales price valued earlier this year at $680 million. The person who spoke to the AP could not confirm the sales price.

The MLB Players Association believes two 15-team leagues would create a more proportionate schedule and has urged baseball to make the switch. With schedules for next season already completed, the earliest such a move could take place is 2013.

Time is running out for approval of the deal: Crane has said that his offer, which was announced on May 16 expires Nov. 30.

An MLB spokesman did not immediately return messages seeking comment, though Commissioner Bud Selig addressed an Astros’ move during a Twitter chat on Monday.

“For 15/15 realignment, Houston would be the team moving to AL West. Would create more fairness in baseball,” Selig tweeted via the Colorado Rockies Twitter feed. He also added that “15 teams in each league would necessitate interleague play every day but it will be better schedule overall.”

The Astros currently play in the six-team NL Central. The AL West is the only league in the majors with four teams (Rangers, Angels, Athletics and Mariners).

The Astros would be in a division with in-state rival Texas. But fans are unhappy that the other three teams are all on the West Coast, meaning many road games would routinely end past midnight Central time.

Drayton McLane bought the team in November 1992 for about $117 million and put the franchise up for sale in November. He turned down an offer from Crane to buy the team in 2008.

The $680 million sale price is the second-highest in major league history, trailing the $845 million purchase of the Chicago Cubs by the Ricketts family two years ago. The $660 million sale of the Boston Red Sox in 2002 currently is second. Like the Astros’ deal, the Cubs and Red Sox transactions included related entities.

A major selling point in Houston was the Astros’ share in a new deal with the NBA’s Houston Rockets to create a regional sports network that will begin airing Rockets games in 2012 and the Astros in 2013. Crane has said the team’s 30-year lease at Minute Maid Park, which is owned by the Harris County Houston Sports Authority, will remain intact under his ownership.

Crane, who founded a Houston-based logistics company in 2008, is also the chairman and chief executive of Crane Capital, a private equity fund company. In 2009, he was in the running to buy the Cubs and last summer teamed with Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban in an unsuccessful bid to buy the Texas Rangers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AruB_isgSo2_i5H3KdYtJTURvLYF?slug=ap-astros-sale

2. YaosDirtyStache

If we are gonna suck I would rather suck in the AL where we play some interesting teams.

3. msn

msn Member

like 54 games (that's one-third of the schedule) with the A's, Angels, and Mariners. Yaaayyyy!!!! Oh, and don't forget 6 games apiece with the Twins, Indians, Tigers, Royals, White Sox, Orioles, and Blue Jays. That's 42 more games. 96 absolute freaking yawners.

Maybe you're excited by 18 games with the Rangers, but many of us aren't. So for some (and I admit not all of us), the yawners total has reached 114.

But hey, there's 18 games with the Yankees, Sox, and Devil Rays, right? Oh, and there'll be 30 or so interleague games. Maybe at least 15 of those will be against someone like the Dodgers, Giants, or Cardinals? (you know, teams that play BASEBALL)

Wow, man, I can hardly stand the anticipation. 33 decent games and the oh-so-compelling "rivalry" with the freaking Rangers. And you know what, Selig being Selig and all, he'll probably find a way to get the series in the AL East two years there to one year in Houston. That's the theme of the day, isn't it? To screw over and alienate Houston baseball fans?

Go Coogs.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

"Baseball been very, very bad to me."

5. YaosDirtyStache

Id rather lose to the Tigers Rays Angels Mariners Twins Indians Royals Whitesox and the like then losing to the ****hole bottom feeders that make me embarrassed to watch these Lastros.

If we are going to suck its better to suck with new opponents and maybe this will make us draft some real hitters

6. msn

msn Member

Understood.

7. Buck Turgidson

I would like to meet you in front of a bar some day.

8. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

I love this move!

Can't wait! (Bart Scott voice)

9. YaosDirtyStache

I will meet you inside while we debate prudently over some St Arnolds Christmas Ale pints.

I have no issues with people agreeing or disagreeing with any of my sports POVs.

The Astros moving has everything to do with us being a big enough market to become a draw again when we get good. Imagine moving the ****sburg Pirates over to the AL. Not only will they get demolished like we will, but their team has been so abysmal over the years no one will give half a damn.

We are Houston, we will draw again and always have solid attendance. Its all about money and this is a money move for the MLB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.