1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AP] Rockets sign free agent Derek Anderson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Aug 23, 2005.

1. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

HOUSTON — Free agent Derek Anderson signed with the Houston Rockets on Tuesday — yet another addition in a busy offseason for the team.

Anderson, a 6-foot-5 guard, was released by the Portland Trail Blazers under the NBA's amnesty provision.

"We think we've added another top-line piece of the puzzle and a great talent," general manager Carroll Dawson said. "To get a guy like this I feel very blessed. There are many ways that this guy can help our team win basketball games."

Dawson likes his shooting and ball-handling skills and thinks that he's underrated as a passer.

An eight-year veteran and former lottery pick, Anderson averaged 9.2 points and three assists last season for Portland. He will still receive $18.8 million from the Trail Blazers for the remainder of his contract, but the team will avoid paying future luxury tax on his salary.

The Rockets said he was signed to a multiyear contract. It has been reported that it is a two-year deal worth $1.67 million.

Both Dawson and Anderson said that he was offered more money to play elsewhere, but that he liked the challenge joining the Rockets. Houston already has several guards, including David Wesley, Jon Barry, Bob Sura and 2005 draft pick Luther Head.

Coach Jeff Van Gundy said a major concern entering the season is the health of his backcourt as both Sura and Wesley recover from surgery.

Anderson, who has averaged 13.1 points in his career, understands that he might not be a starter but said that he would work hard whatever his role is.

"When you get an opportunity to get money and still go somewhere you got to think about what you really want as a person and as a player," he said. "I think this was a better fit for me to come here and challenge myself to play and be able to win a championship."

Dawson said Tracy McGrady was excited about the addition of Anderson. McGrady has known him since high school when the Anderson was McGrady's host on his recruiting trip to Kentucky.

"I told McGrady 'maybe you can host him now,'" Dawson said.

Anderson's signing comes less than a month after Houston picked up power forward Stromile Swift. The Rockets have also recently re-signed Ryan Bowen and Barry. They released Clarence Weatherspoon under the same amnesty provision that made Anderson available.

Even with all the changes, the Rockets might not be finished upgrading the team yet. Some talk had free agent Latrell Sprewell as another possible addition in Houston.

With this recent move, the Rockets cannot afford to simply sign the 13-year veteran. But Sprewell could still come to Houston in a speculated, but unsubstantiated, sign-and-trade deal with Minnesota.

Dawson did not comment on Sprewell directly but did say the team remains open to more changes.

"If we can help our team we'll add someone else," he said. "We're always looking to help our team."

Sprewell's agent said several teams are options for the player, but that he has expressed interest in Houston and playing for his former coach.

"Latrell loves Van Gundy," agent Robert Gist said. "He respects Van Gundy as a coach. He has spoken to Van Gundy."

Gist said he has not been in any talks about a possible sign-and-trade deal with Minnesota, but said that such a deal would be virtually the only way the Rockets could sign Sprewell.

"I think that the Rockets are a Sprewell away from reaching the NBA Finals," Gist said.

2. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Seems like Spree is still in the picture. But I wonder when these quotes were taken?

"If we can help our team we'll add someone else," he said. "We're always looking to help our team."

Sprewell's agent said several teams are options for the player, but that he has expressed interest in Houston and playing for his former coach.

"Latrell loves Van Gundy," agent Robert Gist said. "He respects Van Gundy as a coach. He has spoken to Van Gundy."

Gist said he has not been in any talks about a possible sign-and-trade deal with Minnesota, but said that such a deal would be virtually the only way the Rockets could sign Sprewell.

"I think that the Rockets are a Sprewell away from reaching the NBA Finals," Gist said.

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Didn't Bill scoop the DA sign plus Spree SnT possibility? ;)

5. RioGrando

RioGrando Member

It won't be crowded after the SnT for Spree. I bet we'll let go of a combination of Vin/Mooch/Ward/for Spree, or all of them, so Spree's fam can eat at Ruth Chris everyday of the week. ;)

6. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

wow, if we STILL add Spree, that would be the best offseason ever. We would basically be like the Lakers/Knicks, get ANYBODY we wanted. But then again we have the core group of guys EVERYBODY wants to play with. :)

7. roswell raygun

Gotta love that agent. "I think the Rockets are a Sprewell away from reaching the NBA finals." Whatever Spree's paying him, it isn't enough.
    Does anybody else on this board believe that?

8. thesaint

thesaint Member

Well this quote was from 610 radio interview with CD this afternoon. I dont know the rest.

9. MONON

MONON Member

One of the 4 guards from last season would probably have to be included. Otherwise there just isn't enough minutes for LS, DA, BS, MJ, DW, JB & LH to cover 2 guard spots & a little 3 backup to keep them all happy.

10. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

the thing that makes Spree apealing is the fact that he would come in on a short contract and cheap one. Doing a sign and trade for significant dollars is plain not worth it for someone that might not even start. I do admit That having Spree and DA and Tmac in that 2-3 rotation will be quite nasty but only for the right price.

that being said houston has shown fiscal responsiblity and shows no reason to worry.

11. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

"I think that the Rockets are a Sprewell away from reaching the NBA Finals," Gist said.[/QUOTE]

Or a Spree away from a Complete IMPLOSION.... There is only one bal to g around. you can have a stacked roster, but if there not happy?..

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes !!

I like DA, he is a good addition to this team and knows how to win...didn't he get a ring in SA?

DD

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

will he be the first player to ever win a championship with two teams from the same state?

14. toby

toby Member

i hope this is a bit of smoke and mirrors on the part of the rockets, cause at this point, we really don't need another guard. we need a decent, skilled, bigman . . . a 3rd option at pf and center. if the deal was something like ward and moochie for spree . . . then sure (but remind me again why minny would do that deal? - and i don't buy the argument that they need an experienced point, cause ward isn't ever suiting up again, for any team).

anyway, i am flailing my arms about to clear the smoke, only to try to get a glimpse of a mirror somewhere.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Now those are the words of an agent.

Considering Latrell Sprewell is already 49---er, 36?---years old, we would have to sign him to a 3 year deal, the 3rd year being a team option.

I'll go one better, because I just don't see us wasting decent players (Sura? Wesley?) and certainly not draft picks for a guy who's past his prime.

The only way I see us trading for Latrell is if we ship out Juwan (Minnesota once wanted him; would they still?) and if Wally Disturbiak is part of the trade, AND ONLY IF Wally is sent packing to another team in a 3-team deal (and I can't imagine who we'd get in that overdrawn scenario). And that would be one hell of a trade because you know Minnesota needs to get back into the playoffs, and wouldn't want to bolster the Rockets overmuch.

Well....OK, I could be wrong. Wesley for Sprewell? MAYBE.

Still tough to fathom.

16. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Horry?

17. triplebogey

triplebogey Member

i think robert horry has that one covered...

18. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Now why would the Rockets want Spree with the addition of DA, where would he play. If JVG and Spree are in love with each other you would think they would have went after him instead of DA. The only way Spree comes here is if Wesley is involved in a trade.

Anyways I just love that everybody wants to play for Houston now.

19. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

how would we get Spree wouldnt the salaries have to match up? Moochies/Wards salary for Spree? I dont think so.. I would rather have them warm the bench then pay Spree that kind of money.. maybe 1 or 2 mill a year tops.

J

20. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

I think Spree is a free agent, it will have to involve a S & T