1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AP reviews Obama's speech

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Feb 24, 2009.

1. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

apparently, Ms. Loven got hold of Hemione's Time Turner necklace.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D96I5HS00&show_article=1

[rquoter]Obama aims for sober honesty, optimism in address

Feb 24 04:30 PM US/Eastern
    By JENNIFER LOVEN
    AP White House Correspondent

WASHINGTON (AP) - Standing before a nation on an economic precipice, President Barack Obama aimed to balance candor with can-do Tuesday night in his first address to a joint session of Congress. Millions more anxious Americans were tuning in on TV.

Obama was arguing that his still-unfolding economic revival plan has room for—even demands—a broader agenda including dramatic increases in health care coverage and wiser, "greener" fuel use. He was addressing an ebullient Democratic congressional majority and an embattled but reinvigorated GOP minority as well as worried viewers at home.

Just five weeks after his inauguration, Obama wasn't charged with producing a formal State of the Union status report. But for all intents and purposes, that's what it was: a night for the president to sketch out his priorities in a setting unmatched the rest of the year.

He enters the chamber to lawmakers of both parties hanging into the aisle for a chance to shake his hand or exchange a word. The gallery is filled, including a special section hosted by first lady Michelle Obama in which guests are selected to serve as living symbols of the president's goals. Cramming the floor are the leaders of the federal government: Supreme Court justices, all but one Cabinet member—held away in case disaster strikes—and nearly every member of Congress.

Pre-speech, the White House blitzed the airwaves, talking up Obama's plans but tamping down any expectations of high-flying rhetoric, splashy headlines or fancy new initiatives.

Wall Street was in a better mood than it had been in for days: Stocks were up after Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said the recession might end this year.

Comments on Obama's address came in early from Republicans, many hours before he had uttered a word.

"House Republicans stand united in willingness to work with this president to try and tackle the very tough economic situation that is facing our families, to try and make some of the tough decisions together," said House GOP Whip Eric Cantor of Virginia. But Republicans would stick to their principles, he said: "One is that Washington shouldn't be spending money that we don't have. And two, we shouldn't be raising taxes on businesses and families that can't afford to pay them."

The young, charismatic governor of Louisiana, Bobby Jindal, was chosen to deliver the televised GOP response to the Democratic president. Considered a likely presidential contender in 2012, Jindal has been an outspoken critic of what many Republicans call the wasteful spending in Obama's $787 billion economic stimulus package, even raising the possibility of rejecting some of the money designated for his state. But he also has praised Obama for reaching out to his party.

In contrast to many State of the Union addresses by George W. Bush, Obama was not expected to emphasize foreign policy.

He planned to touch on his intention to chart new strategies in Iraq and Afghanistan and to forge a new image for the U.S. around the world even as he keeps up the fight against terrorism.

But with the economy in a recession that already has lasted longer than any other in a quarter-century, that was the dominant topic.

The president aimed to drive home several points:

—He inherited the mess, and a quick turnaround is unlikely. Not only did the recession emerge on Bush's watch, the Bush approach wasn't the right one.

—He's tackling the situation on multiple fronts. Already done: the massive stimulus plan, an overhaul of the separate $700 billion bailout for the financial sector, and a $275 billion rescue for struggling homeowners. On the way: decisions about limping U.S. automakers, a move to broadly rewrite financial industry regulations and perhaps more money aimed at propping up banks.

—Thinking short-term won't do the trick. Focusing even amid the crisis on longer-term goals such as helping the millions without health insurance and switching the U.S. to greater dependence on alternative energy sources is crucial to the nation's economic well-being.

Also crucial is bringing down the estimated $1.3 trillion budget deficit that is ballooning as Washington pours money into the economic recovery. Obama was to declare that the budget request he sends to Congress on Thursday will slash the deficit by at least half by the end of his term in 2013, in large part by ending U.S. combat in Iraq and eliminating some of Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy.

He was also expected to talk of a continuing need to reach across ideological boundaries, and for him to connect with the everyday Americans dealing with hard times. Obama hoped to hit just the right note with this address: grim enough to be honest but optimistic enough to be inspiring.

New polls showed how the political climate can be as precarious as the economic one.

While a new Washington Post-ABC News survey found 68 percent of the public approves of Obama's job performance, a Gallup poll also out Tuesday showed his approval rating falling to 59 percent. [/rquoter]

2. weslinder

weslinder Member

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

Most people i've spoken with consider his speech to be dark and lovely.

4. Bogey

Bogey Member

I don't want the president giving a "dark and lovely" speech!! :D

5. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

beautifully racist.

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

I've met KingCheetah and if he is racist, it wouldn't be against Obama.

As usual, your attempt at a riposte is an epic fail.

7. Bogey

Bogey Member

I don't think he was calling Cheetah racist, but i could be wrong.

8. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

you're not wrong.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Don't they hand out the speech beforehand to the larger media markets? I just noticed that the 3 of the big 4 networks have blocked out an hour and a half of time for this. I've got Obamafatigue.

10. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

i'm sure they do. not sure how the printed speech conveyed the stagecraft, but then, i guess you had to be there.

11. mc mark

mc mark Member

I love when Republicans do that! Stick to principles that is.

BTW is that the 1994 Republican principles? or the new and improved [​IMG] Republican principles?

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

One thing that irritated me in his speech is that he referred to the USA as the country that "invented the automobile". Ummm...hello...Karl Benz generally is acknowledged as the inventor of the modern automobile. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile.

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

GOP response...I've never heard Jindal speak before but my God it feels like he's talking to a bunch of kindergartners. It's pretty annoying.

14. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Member

does Jindal think we're stupid? wtf..i go to college damn it!

15. yo

yo Member

Jindal is definitely not the most authentic speaker.

16. s land balla

s land balla Member

Jindal is a douche.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG] + [​IMG] = [​IMG]

PS -- What was up with the Louisiana audio support? LOL. His voice kept cutting out. To his credit, nobody should have to follow that historic Obama speech, especially to launch their run for 2012. Ugh.

#17 B-Bob, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  18. mc mark

mc mark Member

His facebook page is awesome.

19. Qball

Qball Member

Jindal is an opportunist and a friggin disgrace.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

(edit: cut juvenile remark)

As for the main event, it greatly surpassed my expectations. Here's what I thought he did right:

* the notion that dropping out of high school is quitting on your nation.
    * repeating the ambitious call to reduce the budget deficit.
    * dealing smoothly with the sarcastic cheers that greeted this.
    * quit emphasizing bipartisanship, admitting the differences, but focusing on the common work ahead.
    * less gloom, while keeping the pragmatism

the big problem:
    * probably the sweeping ambition. Mark Shields called it "50 years" worth of plans. That could haunt him politically, but does it hurt the country to make these challenges for major improvement?

#20 B-Bob, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009