1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AP NewsBreak: Lions fire Mariucci

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Luckyazn, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Member

link

DETROIT (AP) -- The disappointing Detroit Lions fired coach Steve Mariucci and some of his assistants on Monday, a team official told The Associated Press.

When is DOM going to be FIRED?

2. MadMax

MadMax Member

WWLD???

dom will be fired. he will not be back next season.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

My reasoning on why Capers hasn't been fired is because it just makes more sense to do a complete house-cleaning in the off-season. This also leads me to believe that Casserly will be gone as well and we'll either bring in a GM/head coach or a GM/head coach combo that's compatible.

4. swilkins

swilkins Member

I hope Capers is gone by tomorrow.

I'm sick of Charlie's excuses on the Sunday show with Bob Allen. I hope he gets his tomorrow as well.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

not unexpected, but thought he would last the season...The lions, IMO, need to get rid of presiden Matt Millen...He's to blame as well...c'mon, 3 1st rounders and 3 receivers...There were other needs to fill....

6. droxford

droxford Member

Wouldn't it make more sense to bring in a new coach right now? Not to save the season, mind you, but to allow the new coach to get regular-season familiarity with our team so that, during the offseason, he has a better feel for what needs to be done with the team.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Ya, Millen has done nothing to help the Lions lately.

Capers and Casserly will be gone this summer, yesterdays game basically sealed the deal.

8. swilkins

swilkins Member

I don't think many coaches want to come in with the left-overs.

They would prefer to clean house.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If you do that, you limit yourself to unemployed coaches. No team will allow you to bring in their assistant coaches/coordinators to be your head coach at this point in the season.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Member

I'm still hoping for a Jeff Fisher/Houston reunion.

11. The Real Shady

The only people that could replace Capers would be in-house hires. Does anyone really want Fangio or Pendry as the head coach. Just wait till the end of the season and fire everyone.

12. emjohn

emjohn Member

McNair has repeatedly, and emphatically said he's not firing anyone until the season is done. I believe him. He knows it won't help the team in the final 5 games.

Write me down as being all for Mooch coming here to replace Capers.

Evan

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Exactly, if you fire Capers now then you really limit the number of potential candidates. Might as well just let the season play out and then see who is available.

14. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

Ladies and Gentlemen, the head coach for your Houston Texans, Jerry Gray.

15. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

I have a feeling that Dom may get one more year. I hope not, but I think they may keep him around.

I would like to see Kubiak in here. Mainly because he would bring in Mike Shanahan's system. Denver is always competetive every year and all the players seem well coached.

16. A-Train

A-Train Member

The only thing that firing Capers would accomplish is possibly bringing in a better coach that would cause the Texans to win more games and lose out on the #1 overall pick. Besides, what would Houston sports talk listeners do without Dom's oh so magnetic personality for an hour every Monday?

17. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Member

I completely agree that Jerry Gray should be the new HC, however since Dom was a former DC and defensive-minded type of HC that the Texans may shy away from a DC as the new HC.

18. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I don't think that Dom being a former DC has any bearing on why he is such a terrible coach. Whoever improves this team and can run the team for the long term should be a strong candidate for the job regardless of whether they were former OC or DC.

19. leroy

leroy Member

Luckily, Mr. McNair is smart enough and in touch enough to know that the fans will completely desert this team if any of the current regime is still in place on January 2nd. There is almost nothing Capers, Fangio, and Pendry can do at this point to save their jobs. The only one that might be safe is the special teams coach. My guess would be that Casserly gets one more shot, but it wouldn't suprise or bother me to see him out on his ass on Jan. 2nd as well.

Jerry Gray and Gary Kubiak would be good choices. I would take a stab at Charlie Weis just to see what it would take.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Can we petition 610 to go ahead and start cancelling their texan shows? particularly capers, casserly, and mckinney. they are taking up valuable programing space.