1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AP News] FDA : 5 Reported Deaths with Monster Beverage Link

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

"FDA: 5 reported deaths with Monster drink link"

So if I click on sez link, I can dies?

In my day, there was that Bloody Mary thing.

2. VanityHalfBlack

Drinking straight up black coffee is the best natural energy substance you can get, right??

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

This is bull- coffee has more than that! http://www.energyfiend.com/caffeine-content/starbucks-tall-coffee

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dj1qdSoGmRc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dj1qdSoGmRc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

5. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

So after all these years that Monster's been out.. it's coming out now that it may be dangerous? This girl had 2 x 24oz in 24hours and that's supposedly too much? One in morning, one in the evening will kill you? I call b/s . She must have had a condition her parents didn't know about.

Anything will kill you if unmoderated. There was a radio show a while back that had a promotion for drinking the most water to win a Wii.. A woman ended up dying from drinking too much water.

6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I drink Monster every now and again to get through a shift. I prefer black coffee for economic reasons. Work provides it free of charge. Coffee is better for you anyways. 5 deaths over 8 years isn't that bad to me especially since the deaths were probably linked to pre-existing medical conditions. This just in: If you have a weak heart, you might want to avoid stimulants.

7. VanityHalfBlack

What the hell are you doing drinking Monster at 14 yrs of age??? ADULTS ONLY!!!!! Drink OJ/Milk/Water, you ain't nobody yet at 14!!!!

8. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

those dumbasses - energy drinks KILL!

on 3rd bonus cup of coffee*

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Once I bought my Keurig Platinum one cup coffee maker I gave up energy drinks for good. Everyone in my office guzzles these down daily and it makes me ill to see. Of course, they're all 20 + lbs. overweight, so no shocker how stupid they are.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, the article said she had a genetic condition that made her susceptible. But, if you have a product that can kill a small minority of the population because they have a genetic disorder, there probably needs to be some regulation around it -- a warning on the label, an age restriction, a limit on how much of a drug you put in it, or something. I don't think it's sufficient to say, 'Oh well, she had a condition that she didn't know about. Had she gotten a battery of genetics tests done she might have known that she was at a higher risk from caffeine intake and should avoid energy drinks. Sucks to be her.'

11. magnetik

I'm not saying that at all.. just that every few years this type of news is reported and same thing.. nothing is found that would suggest it's any more dangerous than someone walking around with one of those 52oz bubba keg of coffee or soda. People have died from drinking too much water, where do you draw the line? Monster (I actually hate Monster drinks but do drink RB) has been around long enough.. if it was an issue, more than 5 people would be dead from it. The report is implying way too much.

12. magnetik

I say the same things about the people who pound down the coffee at the office. heh

13. Isabel

Isabel Member

I drink them occasionally and keep them around in case I need to stay extra awake, or don't have time to make coffee but need the same effects. Coffee is probably the healthier option for regular use (yeah, yeah, I know, for regular use the healthier option is nothing at all and drink water and eat raw vegetables... but some of us have trouble feeling awake in time to do our jobs at work).

I wouldn't drink more than one energy drink in a row. Still, this is actually a very small number of casualties compared with how many of these are consumed regularly, and in some cases there could be other factors (drugs etc.). People don't know any moderation these days.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It's a sad story and I'm guessing the parents didn't know about her genetic issues.

From another site talking about the lawsuit http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/10/22/51500.htm

Makes you wonder about about all the dangerous genetic time bombs all of us have ticking. Sad stuff.