1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AP] Latrell Sprewell to decide between Houston and Detroit...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by countingcrow, Aug 16, 2005.

1. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

How is Spree a problem child...as far as team chemistry is concerned...which is all that matters?

Spree's teammates probably laughed at him and gave him $hit in the locker-room after that "feed my family" comment. I doubt that caused locker-room problems.

He choked his coach 10 years ago. Yes. But JVG WANTS him back. So that seems to be a non-issue.

So how is he a problem child?

Also, what younger guards are left that we could realistically sign for the LLE? The likes of a Cuttino Mobley would NEVER sign for the LLE...until he is 36 years old.

Here's your choice. You sign an NBDL guy, NBA bench warmer or you sign an older veteran willing to play for the LLE. Those are your options. So who is out there that we can realistically get?

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't talking about the choking incident, which I believe is behind him. I was talking the end of his days in NY where he didn't show up, and didn't take responsibiity for any of actions, instead blaming others.

I agree that cat wouldn't sign for the LLE. I would take Anderson over Spree for sure. Sprewell hasn't been a winner, and his skills have deteriorated considerably. He isn't my idea of what we need on the team.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Spree at the LLE,under JVG...is a darn good pickup even at this stage in his career.As mentonioned he is a lockdown defender,who when combined with Swift and Head will improve our defense drastically.On offense,Spree will be much better playing with Yao and TMac.His job will be easier.
    I'm definitely on board.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am torn on Sprewell.

One part of me says that under JVG Sprewell will be rejuvinated much like Mutombo was. That Sprewell wont be thinking about money because he will come here for the LLE and that is a known. Sprewell will play hard if for no other reason than to stick it to Minnesota. Sprewell will add some "toughness" to our lineup and be a legit 3rd scoring option.

The other part of me says that Sprewell is losing a step. Just doesnt have the quickness anymore, his outside shot is shaky and is still a chemistry threat to our team.

So I dont know. Sprewell for the LLE in terms of "cost" is a good value though. As is Derek Anderson.

Derek Anderson doesnt add the toughness, but he is less of a chemistry risk and a better outside shooter, plus is 4 years younger.

Overall, I just want the Rockets to add more length to the 2/3 spot next to Tmac. Finley would be awesome, but Sprewell or DA for the LLE would represent a good value.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Best case scenario for Latrell: 1994 Vernon Maxwell

Worst case scenario for Latrell: 1995 Vernon Maxwell

6. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

oh man yeah, i'd be all about the rockets as a team. however, when sprewell came on the floor, im pretty sure i would root for him to miss shots and turn it over so he could get benched. part of enjoying the rockets as a team is somewhat "getting to know" the guys that you watch all the time and from what i know of sprewell, he's a selfish fool with a temper. the rockets and the fans that support the rockets represent the city of houston to the NBA and i just could not root for a guy like sprewell to succeed on our team.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

MadMax averaged about 19ppg for the Rox in 94. I can't imagine Spree doing that anymore. it's been 4 years since he's played at that level.

8. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

Welcome back Tyronne Lue

9. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Get your facts straight please. I think his point is if he's got his head on straight with the Rockets, he can contribute and might be the player that can put us over the hump for a championship. If things go bad, he can pull a vernon on us like mad max did the second championship year.

Mad Max's numbers:
    Season PPG
    1989-90 12.47
    1990-91 17.04
    1991-92 17.15
    1992-93 13.83
    1993-94 13.64
    1994-95 13.34
    Averages: 14.93

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

For the LLE it's a no brainer, he is long and extremely athletic even at 34 yrs of age. He knows JVG's defensive schemes and with Swift, Mutombo and Yao behind him he can really play the passing lanes. Imagine Sprewell, McGrady and Swift on a fastbreak. He would add much needed toughness to this rocket team.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Don't question me about my facts!!! I have chemical imbalances and can become very, very dangerous!!!

I love technology, but not as much as you, you see... But I STILL love technology...

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dont diss on Vernon.
    Dont forget, we would have ZERO championships without him lighting the flame of the 1st one.
    Maxwell is a hero. He helped us in the 2nd championship too, he gave Clyde PLENTY of playing time by going AWOL.
    But I remember him as the greatest Rocket Clutch performer ever!

I would love Spree to join if he was half as fiery as Vernon.
    [​IMG]

13. caphorns

caphorns Member

Yeah. Because anybody that pays me tens of millions of dollars to do nothing for them really pisses me off.

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

For you guys who want this guy, this bum/loser/ball-hog/money greedy a-hole is going to disrupt our chemistry. He's in it for the money....doesn't really give a **** about our team.

We finally got this team to gel last year and work together. We're at 95% with the addition of Swift and hopefully DA. Now if we can get a backup SF (Gerald Wallace), this team is set to kick some ass!

CD, please don't lure that GS/NY/Minn trash here....

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

What he/his agent is billing as his worth (over MLE) IS NOT his worth. I don't think anyone in their right mind would give him a full MLE, maybe a 1 year thing at the end of FA if he is all that is left (Detroit?).

Based on his performance last year, and LLE (1.7 mil) is not far off his value despite his agent saying otherwise. Certainly he doesn't warrent more than 3 mil per year in a multiyear deal based on last year's performance, and I don't think there will be a lot of risk takers for him considering his issues and the off year. If it comes between 3.5 mil for 2 years with the Rockets (LLE) or a three year deal for like 10-13 mil for some dreg like Orlando, I would not be surprised if he took the lower salary--and that would tell you where his focus is despite what his big trap says to the media.

I am a little on the fence, but if he will take the only thing we can offer, 2 years 3.5 mil, he is hard to turn down. He didn't have a good year last year, but nor did the whole Minn team. The thing that makes me strongly consider it is Spree brings it in the postseason big time. He does not shrink from the pressure, he was brilliant team player for Minny their last postseason, only 14 months ago.

I like Dermarr and some other young guys too, but their is a greater likelihood of them wilting in the playoffs than Spree.

16. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Member

lol Don Grahamleone and Cohen.. It's good to see you both caught that I did that for added emphasis on the Sprewell jokes.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't want MadMax on this team either....both he and SPree are malcontent old men...

:)

18. haven

haven Member

If Sprewell signs, it'll be about the first time in an age that there'll be a Rocket I'll be rooting for to fail. My dislike of Sprewell is so strong that I hope he plays terribly, then gets himself benched, and cut. This is not to say that my dislike of Sprewell is stronger than my love for the Rockets. I hope they succeed without him.

Sprewell is scum. And if he joins the Rockets...he'll still be scum.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. vegaspauli

vegaspauli Member

Spree to "decide"? Exactly how arrogant can you get? Wasn't/Isn't he on a contender (the Timberwolves) before he quit? He was abysmal last season (and various others throughout his career) and even the Knicks, who these days will keep anyone with a heartbeat around, got rid of him! Hate to be a hater, but NO THANKS.