1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AP] Latrell Sprewell to decide between Houston and Detroit...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by countingcrow, Aug 16, 2005.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Here are some facts about Latrell Sprewell:

Last season, he averaged 12.8ppg, 3.2rpg, 2.2apg, and 0.7spg, all career lows. This was playing for a Minnesota team that went 44-38 and missed the postseason, one year after going 58-24 and advancing to the Western Conference Finals. His overall +/- with the Wolves last year? -4.4. He shot .414 from the field, and .327 from the 3PT line.

Over the past 5 seasons, he has shot .412 from the field, and .347 from the 3PT line.

He turns 35 in September.

His middle name is Fontaine

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Spree would be a big upgrade over Wesley ~ welcome aboard...

3. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

For the LLE? I'm totally on board. Spree gives us much more of an upgrade in size and athleticism in the backcourt than Baxtyer would give us in the frontcourt.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

OH, HELL NO!

Our 1 mil/2 mil isn't going to feed his poor folk family! Please go to Dallas or Detroit. Don't bring your sorry ass here.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Exactly the way I feel. He is a freakin moron and is way over the hill.

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Why do we need another two guard?

7. Panda

Panda Member

When he is on he is a warrior. When he is off he's still be better than a cold Wesley. Welcome aboard Spree.

8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

last year:

DW: 11.9 pts 3.3 asts 2.9 reb 1.2 stls 39.8% FG 37.5% 3PT

LS: 12.8 pts 2.2 asts 3.2 reb 0.7 stls 41.4% FG 32.7% 3PT

wesley did play 5 more minutes to help his stats a little but it's hard to look at spree as some big upgrade. and where does barry and his deadly 3 pt shot play if spree is here? that's why i hope spree stays away.

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Sprewell doesn't fit here in my honest opinion. First, he wouldn't come here to be a backup. Second, if he does start, you can't play Sura in the backcourt with him, unless you intend on not being able to make defenses pay for the constant double teams on Yao/T-Mac. I honestly don't see Sprewell being a better option for what the Rockets need than Wesley. If you want a SG/SF, get someone who is big but can shoot, or someone who would accept a bench role. I don't think he is a bad player, but rather a bad fit for the team.

10. Panda

Panda Member

Spree shot 35% from beyond the arc in the last five seasons. He'd get more open looks playing with Yao and T-Mac, like Wesley did last year. Wesley did not provide defense in the last playoffs, is about as old as Spree, and cannot create his own shot. His defense was exploited by the Mavs due to his short stature. Wesley is a pg playing sg and Spree was an all star caliber sg and one of the best open court player. Wesley doesn't fit the Rockets except his streaky three point shot. Sprewell fit the Rockets better with his all around game.

11. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

What did Spree do? In 15(?) years in the league he's done something stupid and he's said something stupid?

Yao and TMac need another scoring option. Spree is like an old homerun hitter, even though Bagwell is past his prime pitchers won't relax. Even though Spree isn't 26, when he drives he automatically gets enough respect to give Yao and TMac better looks...right?

Finley would be perfect for what we have to offer, but I would not be unhappy with LaTrell Spreewell.

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

You haven't watched him play very much recently, have you?

Spree is done. Living mostly off his name. He's lost most of his lateral quickness. His shot is on and off, usually off. He can still drive a little bit, but not as well as some seem to think. He'd be a NAME player. Someone identifiable. But not someone who'd help our team very much.

13. Panda

Panda Member

Spree was not the same player that he was. That's why I said "he was an all star caliber sg and one of the best open court player".

Wesley isn't better defensive asset than Spree in the playoffs because he trades height for quickness. Wesley's offense is more limited than Spree. Spree is as much done as Wesley, but Spree has better talent and body to begin with.

Beggars cannot be choosers. With only LLE it's a good pickup along with Finley, DA as other options etc...

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Good post. Spree is obviously not the same player he was 5-6 years ago, but he is still a legitimate 3rd scoring option that we need. While he isn't as quick as Wesley, he adds size and a little more athleticism that we sorely lack in the backcourt.

Spree for the LLE? That's a good deal, period.

15. ddly_tng

ddly_tng Member

Yes I would. Spree, while still having some skills left, is a cancer. He tanked the season after the year they went to the Western Conference Finals. He's a nut job that I don't want ruining the greatest thing about our Rockets: chemistry. They play hard because they play for each other and their friendship. Spree is a me-first player who is more trouble than he's worth and with T-Mac we don't even need that skilled of a 2-guard. We just need an athletic defender with some shooting skills.

16. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Agreed! Wesley is a great perimeter defender but is undersized as a SG. Spree would change that and I would be willing to take him for that price. He has had problems but has expressed that he does like JVG and is getting old so hopefully getting a ring is the first thing on his mind. He played a good team game a couple of seasons ago when the Timberwolves were at thier peak and hopefully he would be able to do the same for us if he comes aboard.

17. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

But it's different. In baseball, if you suck but you're feared, they are fooled and they'll nibble at the corners. In basketball, if you suck well...let's say I can't get the memory of Clyde's last game here out of my mind.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to adding Sprewell. He is what Tony Montana would describe as "a bad guy" and this team desperately needs a bad guy. I can guarantee you that Josh Howard would not have been allowed to walk away unharmed after some of the crap he pulled in that series.

My gripe with Sprewell isn't really his ego. I have faith he would behave under Van Gundy. My problem is that he really isn't very good any more and this is a waste of time. Wesley atleast gives us shooting, but Sprewell can't really do too much.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Look, he didn't have any energy out there on the court. He barely had enough to feed his family, let alone himself.

I mean, really, come on now.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Barkley and Sprewell are completely different. Barkley was an MVP who took his team to the finals. Some people didn't like his attitude, but he was great Rocket.

Sprewell is an aging veteran. He still has fire and he's really not that vocal of person than Barkley. Barkley wont shut up.

Sprewell is greedy, so is everyone else in the NBA.

20. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

But he is considering the LLE, so do arguments like that really have any merit?