1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AP] Latrell Sprewell to decide between Houston and Detroit...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by countingcrow, Aug 16, 2005.

1. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

anyone else see the irony here?

2. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

I seem to recall Minnesota having some interest in Wesley at some point. If Minnesota were to change their tune on working with Spree on some sort of sign-and-trade, I could see Wesley heading to Minnesota in a sign-and-trade deal. This would allow us to sign Baxter.

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

If (and that's a big IF) Spree is willing to come sign here for a couple of seasons at the LLE, that would be an absolute steal, and the best signing the Rockets have done in some time.

Absolutely love everything this guy brings to the table: experience, fire and passion for the game, lockdown D on most SG, a 'JVG' guy if there was ever one, and the size we are in DIRE need of in the backcourt. Just imagine a hustling starting backcourt of Sura and Spree, two guys who will hustle and pump up the team with some attitude and fire that our team needs more of.

To be honest, I thought even before that Spree for the MLE for 2-3 years would have been a decent deal for anyone, but if he ever considers signing here for the pennies he would be getting with our LLE, that would be the steal of this young century!

I had predicted in the past that I think Spree will be a Rocket in some way or another, and I am hoping that I am right about this one. Don't worry about the guy's negatives, because all you need to know and remember is how he played under JVG in NYC, not anyone else. If his own former coach in Minny (despite the 'negatives' from last season) is one of the interested parties in the guy, that tells you all you need to know.

Spree's positives FAR outweigh his negatives, and it's not like he would be signed for a long-term deal; he would be a nice addition to the team and an excellent trade bait during the season.

I am a big Spree fan, and I hope he comes to Houston and makes a run for that title one more time. :cool:

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

This is just so... So wrong on so many levels...

Why on earth would we want to do something like that?

5. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

dude it going to detroit for the MLE... he has to feed his family !

6. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

This is not something that I want to happen. But I could see it happening.

7. bushwickbillyd

bushwickbillyd Contributing Member

8. bushwickbillyd

bushwickbillyd Contributing Member

:confused:

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think Jack Hammer was trying to say that you're not funny when you repeat a joke that is from last year.

10. don grahamleone

You should have stuck to your guns on your S&T idea. It is in the realm of possibility.

11. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

normally i could care less about a guys personality when he joins our team, but there is NO way i could root for that guy to succeed.

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

People need to chill. It's just the LLE, for a max two year deal. It's Les's money, not yours. Given we already have 13 players under contract, I'd be fine with the addition of any veteran for the LLE, be it Spree, NVE, Anderson, Payton, or even the devil himself, freakin Karl Malone. If Spree turns out to be a cancer, we can cut him. If he returns to his 2003-04 form, we got a steal. It's a low risk move. Just consider whomever we sign to be a replacement for Spoon's roster spot.

People complain when Drayton doesn't spend money, but complain when Les does. I don't understand it.

13. don grahamleone

Would you root for the team?

I used to say the same thing about Charles Barkley, yet I cheered for him when he played for us. So, do you think your loyalty to the Rockets might overcome the distaste for Latrell's actions as of late? A good player is a good player.

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

No to Sprewell!!!
    Seems like some of us here are willing to sell their souls to the devil for a championship. And this isn't even going to do it, is what's sad.
    Just remember that this is the thug who choked his coach. 'Nuff said. :mad:

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Getting a guy like Spree or Finley would be a dream. These are veteran guys that can flat out get it done, just the way JVG likes them. They are both reliable shooters and are good enough ball handlers. While they're not the best defenders, they certainly have the size that we're lacking.

As for getting Sprewell, I trust JVG/CD will make the right decision. JVG knows Spree and he had his most "productive" seasons under him. They seem like they have a mutual respect for each other, I don't think Spreewell would be a problem at all.

16. lytruc

lytruc Contributing Member

I wonder if Flip got fired because his players stopped listening to him. Players like Sammy and Latrell. Those two probably convinced KG to ignore Flip as well. Great to always add positive influences like that to our good chemistry that we developed last year.

Yeah, I know Detroit wants Spree, so he can't be all that bad, right? Wait until he punches someone and breaks his hand and has to miss some games.

Finley... or someone like Demarr, Maurice Evans, Rodney White. We already have a strong veteran influence. We just need an infusion of youth for 10-15 minutes at the 1/2 position.

17. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

That's because it IS an ironically, ironic expression.

18. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I wasn't joking... Spree won't take the LLE - he really believes he is entitled to more - and someone like the Pistons will offer the whole $5 million

19. don grahamleone

Yes, we want a perfect player, but this is not realistic. Every player in the league has some kind of baggage, this includes Yao and Tracy (think Chinese commitments and selfish player). And that choking incident happened in 1997. In the last 9 years, think of that one thing you did that if you could take back you would. But, you still have some reasons for doing what you did right? Spre deserves to be treated like a normal person... just like you, with a little respect. His stories you can remember come down to two things, when he choked his coach and when he said, 'feed my family'. He's played hard for 13 seasons and people forget that part. 18.3, 4.1, 4.0 nuff said

20. PhiSlammaJamma

***** it, I'm going to start rooting for the knicks to have a good draft, aquire good players in trades, and darn it, pick up good young free agents.