1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AP] Isiah Thomas not happy with Shandon Anderson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Matador, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Matador

Matador Member

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKN_KNICKS_ANDERSON?SITE=TXHOU&SECTION=SPORTS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Knicks president unhappy with Anderson

By CHRIS SHERIDAN
    AP Basketball Writer

GREENBURGH, N.Y. (AP) -- New York Knicks president Isiah Thomas made two things perfectly clear Friday: He can't stand Shandon Anderson, and he can't find a way to get rid of him.

"I've tried to trade him, and I will continue to try to trade him," Thomas said. "If I would have been lucky, it would have happened. But no."

Anderson, an eight-year veteran small forward, will join the team next week when training camp opens in Charleston, S.C.

But Thomas is trying to find a taker for a player owed $24 million over the next three seasons - a very steep price for a player who hasn't averaged more than 8.7 points over the past four seasons.

Anderson and Thomas were not in contact over the summer, Anderson declining to participate in any of the team's offseason conditioning or community service programs.

The two were in the same building Friday, but Thomas said he had not spoken to Anderson - nor did he plan to.

"He doesn't feel it's a good fit for him," said Thomas, who took over as Knicks team president last December. Anderson is one of the few remaining links to former team executive Scott Layden, who drafted Anderson when he was with Utah in 1996.

"It's a new organization, it's a new way of doing things, and either you're going to get on board with the way we're doing things or you can go someplace else where people are doing things the way you like it," Thomas said. "This is the No. 1 city in the world and we play in world's greatest arena, and it's an absolute privilege for any player to wear New York across his jersey. When that's taken for granted ..."

Anderson was angered last season when coach Lenny Wilkens kept him on the bench against the Hawks in late January, ending his streak of 543 consecutive games played. Anderson had purchased several dozen tickets for family and friends at that game in his hometown of Atlanta.

Anderson sat out the following game because of a migraine headache, then refused a request by the Knicks to go on the injured list.

The New York Daily News reported that part of the rift between Thomas and Anderson stemmed from Anderson refusing to acknowledge Thomas when they passed in the hallway outside New York's locker room.

Calls to Anderson's agent, Dan Fegan, were not immediately returned. The Knicks did not make Anderson available to reporters.

Thomas said he was unsure of the source of Anderson's discontent.

"He started (37 games) for us last year, he played a lot of minutes. His minutes were up, his shot attempts were up," Thomas said. "Every player wants the M&Ms - money and minutes - and he had money and he had minutes."

Anderson is behind Tim Thomas on the Knicks' depth chart at small forward. Penny Hardaway and rookie Trevor Ariza also play that position, and newly acquired Jerome Williams could fill in there if necessary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like that is going to be a harmonious locker room. :eek: I can't recall a GM calling out a player publicly like that about trying to trade him before he has been traded. Isn't that kind of devaluing the guy's trade value? Remember when Shandn Andersn was a Rocket? ;) :p

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I've always liked Shandon. Isn't it interesting that Shandon and Moochie both had their streaks broken as teammates on the Knicks?

3. foodworld

foodworld Member

Shandon Anderson has negative trade value, and the Knicks packaging talent to dump his salary wouldn't make sense because, with their astronomical payroll, they'll never be under the cap.

Yes he is overpaid, yes he hasn't been performing well, but insulting him in the press accomplishes nothing (it won't motivate him and it certainly won't help him get shipped out). If Isaiah knows how trades work (which I doubt) he knows he can't be moved. So if he's such a cancer why not just waive him or orchestrate a buyout quietly?

Zeke is an *******.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

it's hard to trade a player that has not jumpshot, can't finish fastbreak LAYUPS with defense that's slipping every year that should be only making 1/82nd of what he's making now

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

not=no. damn country grammar

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. I am no fan of Shandon Anderson, but calling your own player out like that is freakin stupid.

I've never liked Isiah Thomas. He is actually one guy who is worse then Cynthia Cooper as an analyst and probaby is one of the biggest backstabbers in the NBA.

7. Just B

Just B Member

Damn, now that was just wrong of Wilkens to break his streak like that. I never even heard about it. But yeah I'd be mad too if someone threw my streak off like that!:mad:

8. alaskansnowman

Shandon sucks. Everyone could see that here in Houston. I'm glad we found a taker for his sorryass.

9. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Brilliant move Isiah. Calling out a player with this severeity in the press essentially means you have to do one of three things :

1) Trade Him - but they can't trade him because of his contract and his skills w/o giving up something good with him.
    2) Cut Him - You still owe him money.
    3) Let him Fester and Destroy the Lockerroom - probably the least savory of the options.

Looks like the Knicks are going to have to cut bait, and end up on the books Shandn's 24 million.

Of course, Anderson doesn't come off so well in the proceedings either - so bad news all around.

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

as bad as rice's 3 yr/27M contract was, shandn's (and it should always be spelled that way) 6 yr/42M was about 10 times worse and i absolutely cannot believe anyone traded for it. well actually, i guess i can believe scott layden traded for it. i mean it was obvious he sucked and rice's was only 3 years, not 6. how stupid can you be.

of course that's a good question to ask isiah right about now, since calling out a guy you wanna trade and basically letting everyone know you want to is pretty damn stupid, especially when he doesn't even become salary cap relief for another 2 seasons. but just like i could believe layden would take rice's contract, i can believe isiah would do this. he's a vindictive, spiteful ******* who'll let it show every chance he gets.

11. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

wasn't he better than Cat acording to many round here

12. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I remember those days, Smeg. Part of it was the idea that Shanderson complemented Stevie better than Cuttino. But yeah, it's funny to look back in retrospect.

13. foodworld

foodworld Member

In Utah Anderson looked a lot like a young Richard Jefferson (who was inked to a fat deal over the summer.) He was a very good defender, offensive rebounder and slasher - but his cutting ability was entirely due to Stockton's presence, so he looked a lot better and flashier than he really was. Still I understand why he got the contract he did.

I can't believe that anyone would rate his stay with the Rockets higher than Mobley's. He looked totally lost in the team's offense, and would go long stretches without scoring. It's hard to see how he complimented Francis.

14. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

The drugs must have been really good back in those days.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. Thomas is unbelievable. What on earth is he thinking? He comes across looking like an idiot.

Shandn is just who and what he is. As everyone has figured out, Stockton made him look great, and he hasn't fit anywhere since he left Utah. And after the Thomas tirade, he's either staying where he is, or the Knicks have to find a GM somewhere, under a rock, dumb enough to trade for the guy.

CD looks like a genius in comparison.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

As long as ZEKE is running the Knicks they will be losers.

Good for everyone else.

DD

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The only GM worse than Zeke was Scott Layden, so at least they got a little better. Michael Jordan should get a (dis)honorable mention here, as he was never a GM, but he did contribute to some horrible basketball decisions.

18. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

I'm a huge, gigantic, mega Pistons fan and Isiah was one of the greatest players of all time. Insanely competitive, insanely clutch, and insanely enjoyable to watch.

But... I'm insanely happy he has nothing to do with running the team now. Guy has no clue what it takes to run a business (see the collapse of the CBA), coach a team (the joke that was Indiand under him), or run a front office (see the Knicks).

19. dback816

dback816 Member

I never liked Isiah Thomas....

He's a very selfish pERson...

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Shandon Anderson is Exhibit A in my theory that a team should not take players -- especially diamonds in the rough -- from Jerry Sloan's system at market value. Sloan has a knack for getting the best out of many of his players and can make marginal guys seem like up-and-comers. Anderson was a good signing for us because he came cheap. He was worth what we paid him, but we thought we were getting a young stud on the cheap, and that wasn't the case.