1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ap] China kung fu monks seek apology for ninja affront

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Aug 31, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I know this thread would turn into a D&D thread anyways, so I thought a few steps ahead of you grasshoppers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070831...a&printer=1;_ylt=AuZCY7dQPpPz8UlbF8.vzuOek3QF
    China kung fu monks seek apology for ninja affront

Fri Aug 31, 1:34 AM ET

China's Shaolin Temple, the cradle of Chinese kung fu, is demanding an apology from an Internet user who said its monks had once been beaten in unarmed combat by a Japanese ninja, Chinese media reported on Friday.

Shaolin Temple, in the northern province of Henan, became famous in the West as the training ground for Kwai Chang "Grasshopper" Caine in the 1970s "Kung Fu" TV series.

Ninjas -- professional assassins trained in martial arts -- date back to mediaeval Japan.

"The so-called defeat is purely fabricated, and we demand the Internet user to apologise to the whole nation for the wrongs he or she did," the Beijing News said, citing a notice announced by a lawyer for the Shaolin monks.

Relations between Chinese and Japanese are sensitive at the best of times, with emotions still running high over Japan's invasion and occupation of parts of China in the first half of the 20th Century.

The Internet user, calling themselves "Five Minutes Every Day", said on an online forum last week that a Japanese ninja came to Shaolin, asked for a fight and many monks failed to beat him, the newspaper said.

"The facts that the monks could not defeat a Japanese ninja showed that they were named as kung fu masters in vain," the Internet user was quoted as saying in the post.

The Shaolin temple "strongly condemned the horrible deeds" of the user, the newspaper said.

"It is not only extremely irresponsible behaviour with respect to the Shaolin temple and its monks, but also to the whole martial art and Chinese nation," it quoted the monks as saying.

2. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

This is ridiculous. So now Chinese institutions are going to react to every single dufous internet poster of 10 years of age?

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

how r****ded...it sounds like its a joke but sadly its not.

ninjas kick shaolins butt...i've seen it. ;)

4. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I've heard a story about some of the Keebler elves going to China and kicking some Shaolin butt. I guess now I'm going to be condemned.

I can't believe that it would come from the temple itself. I actually practice martial arts and can't envision such masters acting so foolishly in response to a kid on the internet.

5. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

They do that crap on clutchfans! what do you think if someone said RYU > CHUN LI?? Its about saving face no matter what the subject!

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Man oh man, just wait until the doggedly repressed factual account of Chuck Norris's visit to Shaolin gets out!

It was, like, 80 kicks-to-the-face per minute, and Chuck had one leg tied behind his back.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Tell them to STFU...there is much more important stuff to worry about than some dumba$$ on the internet......

SHEESH !!

Don't they know we have senators engaged in sex in Idaho's bathrooms, for chrissakes?

Ninjas....lol...

DD

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

:D

chuck norris slammed the shaolins revolving door

9. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

what if they faced sheng long?

10. hz10

hz10 Member

I guess that, in China, one have to take internet more seriously than here. Because the lack of credibility of the official media, internet is becoming increasingly important source of unfiltered news. The monks may feel a story like this detrimental to their commercial businesses, as a tourist attraction (near 4 million US dollar admission fee, last year), martial art school, martial art performance, ect. Anyway, this is not the first time that Shaolin responses publicly to internet posting. Less than two weeks ago, they also publicly rejected a rumor that Shaolin will issue IPO in Hong Kong.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

They still have Ninjas nowadays?

I mean, is there a market for assasins trained in martial arts in Japan still?

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

On the looks of it, it seems like a pride issue, but true pride for their tradition has already been watered down to great effect. A lot of the temples and monasteries have been co-opted by the government into tourist traps. I guess this situation is better than demolishing them like some were 50 years ago.

As for the motives and intents behind this, I have no idea.

13. nyquil82

nyquil82 Member

If you've seen a ninja, then it's either a hack dressed up as a ninja or it's because you are about to die.

No one sees ninjas and lives. Except for other ninjas. and maybe monks.

14. JustWannaChill

These Shaolin monks refused the challenge only because they were too embarrassed to have to fight people who run around only with their underwears on.

[​IMG]

15. weslinder

weslinder Member

It wasn't that they were beat by a Ninja that was embarrassing. The specific Ninja that beat them was embarrassing.

<embed src="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1772965" quality="best" width="400" height="300" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

16. JustWannaChill

Unlike that male ninja, at least these female ninjas had more than just the underwear on.

17. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

In some weird way, that's kind of hot.

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

If you want an example of sh!tty poor Reuters report, this is the one.

Henan province is in the central, not northern, part of PRC.

Did the reporter who wrote this article pass his/her English test?

Of course, there is no better way to have icing on a cake than to put [ap] as the source of a Reuters' report in the thread title.

19. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

i'm sure there's the same report on the AP. sorry grasshopper, it was my drunken monkey style.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

I say they fight and put it on youtube!