1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone starting to lose a bit of faith in the front office?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCHAMP, Feb 15, 2022.

?

Are you still as confident in the front office?

Poll closed Feb 22, 2022.
  1. Yes

31.5%
  2. No

38.9%
  3. On the fence

29.6%
  1. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

For the record - I really like stone and think he has done a pretty good job overall drafting, trades, etc. That being said, the past two trade deadlines, he has disappointed big time. Guess thats subjective, but shouldn't the gameplan be to develop our rooks? Why are we giving heavy minutes to gordon and schroder?

Rafael mentions that him and Silas talk every day, if thats the case why is there NO RELATIVE CONSISTENCY with minutes for the rooks/young players? I get that some of it is matchups but isnt the goal to develop? Some games Al P barely sees the court, sometimes Jalen green is heavily featured in the offense other times he's doing nothing standing in the corner, christophers minutes are all over...How do they plan to develop players when they dont consistently stick to a plan??....it has made me start to lose a bit of faith in stone tbh...and NO this is not because of the Utah game...just some observations over the past few months that have made me wonder whether im just way off on this or if other people are feeling the same way.

weopeo9744, DeBeards, DreamR and 4 others like this.
  2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

“A bit”??? I’m losing a lot more than a bit of faith.

weopeo9744, slothy420, BMoney and 5 others like this.
  3. Mattician

Mattician Member

The 2021 draft has been one of the only bright spots since Stone has been the GM.

The last two trade deadlines have been pretty disappointing, especially this year's.

I just wish they would focus on developing the young guys rather than the veterans getting minutes.
    Green should be their main priority instead of Porter Jr.
    Along with Sengun. And Christopher should be playing in the Eric Gordon role.

Another top 3 pick in 2022 is still exciting to me, though.

#3 Mattician, Feb 15, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    ramotadab, Bo6, slothy420 and 2 others like this.
  4. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member

Yes agree, atleast another top three pick is something to look to. I hope the veterans dont screw this up by winning some meaningless games.

5. futilman

futilman Member

A bit??

Tilman pushed out the best PG in the league in a franchise decimating trade. He then pushed out the best GM in the league. He put his son in the fckin front office. The incompetence is compounding, which will likely drive away any talented management from coming to work for us in the future.

It's early on Stone, but I cant ignore the mistakes that Morey absolutely never would have made. It especially stung when we saw Morey's brilliance truly shine last week.

Highest on that list is not evaluating Mobley, which is absolutely unforgivable (the rest of the world had him at #1 or #2). It's one thing to miss on a player. To choose one without even looking at the other seriously is an abject failure on so many levels. I permanently lost confidence in management after that.

On top of that, he 1) Traded LeVert for pennies, and Oladipo for nothing (after offering him $45m extension LOL), 2) Traded Jarret Allen for pennies and somehow gave up our high 2nd rounder in the deal, 3) Signed Theis, which luckily we just admitted failure on at little cost, 4) Had 2 terrible trade deadlines in a row where he might have overplayed his hand and got called on 2 years in a row (definitely happened last year saying we had a 1st for Dipo)

Why would we have any confidence at all?

6. Le$$

Le$$ Member

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't really understand the purpose of playing Dennis Schroder more minutes than Christopher, unless they plan to re-sign him. He's an expiring contract, every minute he plays is valuable experience taken away from our rookies.

I've thought about it from every direction but there is literally no long term value in playing him.
    1. He's 28, there is no all star potential in him.
    2. Even if he somehow averaged crazy numbers in his remaining games with us, Rockets at best have to overpay to keep him, in hopes that he sustains his numbers and becomes a tradeable asset, and at worse he goes somewhere else.
    3. Assuming the above is true, he will also help the Rockets win a bit more games, but not enough to be out of the lottery. In essence, the Rockets are weakening their draft positioning.
    4. He takes minutes away from Christopher, who has proven that he deserves minutes.
    The trade for Schroder made sense since the purpose was getting rid of Theis contract, but I would have thought Schroder is a clear buyout choice, not someone you give 20 minutes a night to.

The only way the minutes could possibly make a bit of sense is if the FO wanted to give Green a proper, serviceable PG to play next to, but Green's minutes are never staggered with KPJ so that's obviously not happening either.

All around head scratcher, if the rest of the season features an identical lineup, rotation and minutes, I would have serious concerns that the FO is legitimately trying to win games in the most desperate way possible.

#7 flamingdts, Feb 15, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  8. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

It’s tough because pretty much our entire foundation got ripped away from us in a year after having a decade of mostly success.

I don’t like what TF has turned our franchise into and I don’t like Silas as a coach. I think Stone has some potential, but he’s had his fair share of disappointing moments already.

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I’m on the fence. Nobody bats 100 and it takes quite a bit of good fortune to build really good teams.

Stone hasn’t had a lot to work with and I like a lot of the moves he’s made considering the ammo he was left with.

But one place where I will never give the benefit of the doubt is letting a **** coach continue to stay around.

Silas needs to be let go after the season and if he is still here I will have lost faith in Stone and the little hope I have in ownership.

10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

As I said before I was there when they hired Silas no fence needed.

D-rock and PeterKingX like this.
  11. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DS is a better PG option to help the young guys in practice … the guy has backed up some of the best PGs in the league and he’s a good defender for young guys to go up against in practice

also tonight he worked well with Sengun and KJM getting them the ball

his 15-18 min won’t hurt JC because he moves to SG and they takes turns bringing ball up the court …

jcmoon likes this.
  12. WestendMassive

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

well you must be a JCOF....

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Are you slow....

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I try not to judge the book by its cover but Stone looks like a mob boss.....never had a good feeling.

4th option

Long, long time ago.

17. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'm surprised people had faith to begin with.

When Tilman said his son would be taking a seat in the front office and given a voice that the seasoned professionals had to listen to, that's the instant I knew the franchise was doomed.

The fact he's paired with a Tilman yes-man in Stone.... yeah.... I'm not losing faith. I have absolutely none in this franchise.

It pains me that i'm so emotionally and financially invested in this organisation that does not deserve any of it.

The fact the front office were bamboozled by a Youtube highlight video, says all you need to know about them.

18. hakeemthagreat

The best PG or quitter in the league? The best GM or enabler for the biggest QUITTER? Morey and James Harden are bad for the NBA. We should be GLAD they're gone

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think he meant Chris Paul.

BHannes2BHonest and jcmoon like this.
  20. finsraider

finsraider Member

The Rockets #1 goal this year was to lose.

Not to develop.
    Not to unload vets for picks.

When you see all the little things they do that seem to make no sense, that’s because you you’ve got the wrong perspective.

The Rockets do not think they are hurting Greens development by intentionally putting him and the team in bad spots. I think they are probably right.

If they do this again next year, yeah, it could go sideways. But they want that top 5 pick.