1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone notices this about the elections?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by us_marine007, Feb 20, 2008.

1. us_marine007

us_marine007 Member

That the media everywhere are giving the democrats alot of exposure, it seems like all they talk about are the democrats, from CNN, to Yahoo, even FOX, etc... its almost like they are showcasing the democrats more... i havent made up my mind yet if im gonna vote republican or democrat but how i wish the media would stop being so biased and actually showcase both parties equally... you hear a segment on the democrats for about 45 minutes to an hour on cnn and for the republican side, u hear about 10-15 minutes... what do u guys think? sound off!

2. insane man

insane man Member

its not bias. republican primary is sealed up. and the democrats is where the action is.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I seem to remember that early in the process it was fairly even.

I think now, the Democrats have a semblance of a race, while McCain has the republican side locked up. A race makes for much more coverage than a static victor.

If there is still a disparity in coverage once it is Democratic nominee vs. Republican nominee, then I might be with you.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you are right that there is much more talk about the Democratic campaigns.

I think there are a number of reasons for this.

1. The GOP race is sewn up now, with the ultimate outcome already determined.

2. The Democrats have the wife of one of the biggest political stars in the last 20 years as a candidate.

3. Also Either candidate that wins the Democratic race will be breaking new ground because of their race/ethnicity.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Ding ding ding.

It's just the better story right now. McCain can coast to the convention. There's just more storylines with the Dems right now.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

If John McCain does not win a majority in Texas, the Republican race will go to the convention, and outside of pledged delegates, he's not doing well. It is not sewn up.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Actually the coverage has been skewed towards the Dems all along. Some website or organization actually timed the coverage for each party's primary on the morning shows like Today and Good Morning America and there were numerous instances where the Dems got around 14 1/2 minutes of air time on one show and the GOP got around 30 seconds. And this was well before anything had been decided in favor of McCain.

Yes, the Dem primary did hold more intrigue due to the 2 frontrunners being a woman and black man(or half-black for those who wanna be technical ;) ). But that's no excuse for one party to get up to 30 times the amount of coverage as the other.

8. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

It does say something when McCain can't seem to close the deal with his own party.

9. Major

Major Member

There are about 800 delegates in the remaining states - and McCain needs to win a little over 200 to lock it up. There's no way this thing will go to the convention. In terms of the few "super-delegates" out there, McCain has virtually all of them.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/republican_delegate_count.html

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Realclearpolitics has consistently run about 10% high for McCain. Their numbers match McCain's campaign's numbers almost exactly, who has consistently been high.

Example: At the Louisiana Convention, I talked to the AP reporter who was polled the delegates. He said that if you included "Undecided, leaning McCain" delegates, McCain had 32 (of 47). McCain's campaign claimed 42 delegates. RCP has given all 47 from that election to McCain (listed under "Uncommitted RNC).

Besides, the media is always lazy about assigning delegates from caucus states.

I'll say it again. If McCain doesn't win a majority in Texas, the Republican nomination is going to a convention. Media people will be surprised, but it'll happen.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Its because the democratic election is sexy.

A highly contested race between a white female and a black man.

Either way, history in the making.

Some people just don't understand that the media chases the sexy story, its all about ratings, folks.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Biggest news on the Republican side was Huckabee staying on while winning some pledged delegates. While significant, Romney's endorsement wasn't earth shattering because his delegates don't have to go by his endorsement.

There's no more drama in the Republican primaries.

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

What's the statistic, 90% of journalists are liberals? There's your answer. It has a big impact on independents, no doubt about it, which is why I think we'll see them flow away from Obama and towards McCain as the General election coverage begins and the coverage evens out.

14. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

repubs are not media worthy?

war, fear, hate, reduced liberties ... their sell just isn't attractive.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

100% of what you say is nonsensical horsecrap?

16. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

cmon now. TJ has acknowledged correctly that Tuesday is Tuesday. its more like 99.9% of what TJ says is nonsensical horse crap.