1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone interested in doing a ClutchFans Mock Draft?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tierre_brown, Feb 23, 2011.

1. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Sorry Jet Blast, was mere oversight.

2. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

With the first overall pick, the Panthers select CAM NEWTON!

3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Well now that there will be a lockout, I guess a trade is completely of the question.

Broncos select the best defensive player available, DT Marcell Dareus.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

We're doing it now? Okay then. With the third pick, the Buffalo Bills select...

AJ Green!

Fitzpatrick needs a target, and even though I'm in love with Patrick Peterson we need a receiver.

5. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

KYLELOWRYPG is on the clock for Cincinnati. How long do I have to wait until I can choose my draft pick for Arizona? Did we agreed that we have 1 or 2 days to choose?

6. tierre_brown

We will give KyleLowry 1 day to respond; after that he will be skipped. Although...I didnt think we were going to be starting already...

7. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Picked Cam Newton just because he has solid potential but Carolina should know that he has big time BUST potential.

With that said, he's an exciting player, Clausen is not the answer with his weak arm, and Newton will certainly sell tickets!

8. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

tierre_brown, can I choose my draft pick for Arizona? Or do I have to wait for KyleLowry 1 more day?

9. tierre_brown

Rookie34 - let's go ahead and get your pick in. After 10 picks have been made after Cincy, I will pick as commissioner for them.

Draft picks so far:
    1. Carolina - Cam Newton
    2. Denver - Marcell Dareus
    3. Buffalo - AJ Green
    4. Cincinnati - Da'Quan Bowers
    5. Arizona - Blaine Gabbert

#49 tierre_brown, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  10. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Dear Commish ,

Can we also comment on the picks being made as of now ? Though my picks are coming up after few more picks .

11. tierre_brown

12. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Tiere, I think you should pick for the person who does not respond with their pick because I bet their will be a bunch of skipped picks with people being inactive. Make it realistic though!

13. tierre_brown

If people agree, I will make the pick for the Bengals by the end of the night tonight. I'll also make the picks instead of skipping any team.

#53 tierre_brown, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  14. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I agree, I'll wait until you made the pick for the Bengals.

15. tierre_brown

With the 4th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select:

Da'Quan Bowers, DE.

The Bengals are thrilled that the player that was at the top of their defensive draft board slid all the way down to #4. Offensively, the Bengals were taking a hard look at both Cam Newton and AJ Green, but with both of those players off the board, we decided to take the player we felt had the most talent defensively. Luckily, he also fills a position of need for the team, as DE was a major weakness for the Bengals.

16. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Legit pick for sure , how do think Carson Palmer wanting to leave Cincy / threatening to retire if Bengals don't trade him or release him . Did that effect your pick decision , or it didn't matter at all.

17. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

With the 5th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select:

Blaine Gabbert, QB

Von Miller is still on the board, but you never pass on a franchise QB! So, Cam Newton is already been drafted by the Panthers, but they will be thrilled Gabbert is still around. He is the guy, they want! He could be their Sam Bradford or Matt Ryan for years to come!

IMO, Gabbert will be a better QB than Newton. Newton is going to be Jamarcus Russel - Part II.

18. tierre_brown

Honestly, if Cam Newton had been there, I think Cincy would take him. They have proven time and time again that they don't care about character concerns and will take BPA, which I think they think Cam will be. This would have allowed them to trade him (probably for a 2nd+3rd rounder) while having their QB of the future. With Newton off the board, I would think their second choice would have been AJ Green: maybe that appeases Palmer or at the very least allows them to get rid of Chad Johnson -> Ochocinco -> Johnson again to trade for a draft pick so they can pick up a QB in later rounds (Andy Dalton/Kaepernick/Ponder).

However, with both of the top offensive options off the board (and there really being no S or OL worth taking in the top 5), I think they just go BPA and hope that Palmer's just bluffing. Da'Quan has the potential to be one of the best defenders in a draft stocked with top level talent, and he fills a dire position of need for them at DE. Their pass rush was anemic last year, and Bowers really gets after the QB. I hope that they finally realize that they have to build the trenches if they want to build a legit team. This might actually be Cincy's worst case scenario, with both Cam and AJ gone, but it will probably benefit them in the long run.

All of that is just a long way of saying I definitely took Palmer's threats of retirement into strong consideration, but at the end of the day, the Bengals just weren't in a position to have that affect their draft day pick. Their plans A and B were demolished because Newton and Green were gone, so they have to call Palmer's bluff and just try to build their team.

19. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

With the sixth pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select...

Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M.

The Browns didn't expect Miller to be available at #6. Even though the defense will switch to a 4-3, Miller can rush and drop into coverage. The Browns are ecstatic to get the best LB on the board.

Draft picks so far:
    1. Carolina - Cam Newton
    2. Denver - Marcell Dareus
    3. Buffalo - AJ Green
    4. Cincinnati - Da'Quan Bowers
    5. Arizona - Blaine Gabbert
    6. Cleveland - Von Miller
    7. San Francisco
    8. Tennessee
    9. Dallas
    10. Washington
    11. Houston
    12. Minnesota
    13. Detroit
    14. St. Louis
    15. Miami
    16. Jacksonville
    17. New England
    18. San Diego
    19. New York Giants
    20. Tampa Bay
    21. Kansas City
    22. Indianapolis
    23. Philadelphia
    24. New Orleans
    25. Seattle
    26. Baltimore
    27. Atlanta
    28. New England
    29. Chicago
    30. New York Jets
    31. Pittsburgh
    32. Green Bay

#59 Jet Blast, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  20. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

With the 7th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers select:

Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

The best (defensive) player in the draft is still available so this a no-brainer for the 49ers! Peterson is a skilled cover DB with speed, size and range. He is also a very good kick/punt returner.

The Niners have 10 draft picks and should be able to address most of their needs even if they have to move up in other rounds. Some rumors say the 49ers will go all out to sign FA Nnamdi Asomugha and slide Nate Clements to safety. If the 49ers can pull this off, they will be very tough to beat to the air with Peterson, Asomugha and Clements covering the entire field ...