1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone installed security camera at home?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dragician, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Buck Turgidson

maybe, maybe no

[​IMG]

Blatz, AroundTheWorld and Ziggy like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sorry... was napping... zzzzz ...

I just watched a watched a couple of guys steal a catalytic converter from a car parked in front of a Ring-type camera. One dude notices the camera and casually just walks up to it and covers it up with no mask while his buddy finishes the job. I really don't think most of these guys even care. lol. But yeah, it's probably a better deterrent than none. Although kids don't seem to care as they go around ding-dong ditching the neighborhood. :D It may help a bit with porch pirates, though.

Xerobull likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Thats true…it’s only a deterrent if they care. Like door-checkers.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

If you have an HOA see if there’s budget for license plate readers. Those + a ring will help tremendously. Ring catches a vehicle description. Police can match the time and description to the plate at the entry points of the community.

Or get a big dog and have a fence that extends to the front of your house. That works well too.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Somebody on Nextdoor posted a pic the other day of somebody driving around stealing stuff in broad daylight. A video camera "busted" these guys. Will they ever be found? Probably not, but who knows. But like I said, a lot of these dudes probably don't even care.

[​IMG]

6. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Just got those installed at the entrances to our subdivision. We’re paying around $2,000/year. One camera at each entrance (2 cameras). Solar powered/cellular data/license plate reader/Police dept has access to the feed. Problem is thieves use stolen cars/fake paper plates.

Jontro likes this.
  7. CCorn

CCorn Member

If the neighborhood is sharing with PD, known stolen vehicles and stolen plates will automatically alert PD.

Jontro and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. Xerobull

....uh, isn't that a white power symbol?

9. Buck Turgidson

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There's always a catch, isn't there?

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

It’s a tree branch

Xerobull likes this.
  12. Xerobull

13. Buck Turgidson

The "uh..." threw off my sarc meter

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I thought this would be a good place to put this... watch very closely

WARNING : MAY NOT BE FOR THE SQUEAMISH

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

These are the women fatty be taking on dates.

Andre0087 likes this.
  16. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Can anybody please recommend a decent security camera system on amazon? I've started looking around online this morning and I'm getting somewhat of an info-overload. Is NVR and POE the same thing? I'm wanting to get a few HD cameras where I can store the video locally. No WIFI or monthly fees. Being able to view on PC and have playback in fast-forward is a plus. Would also like to save them as other types of media files. I'm assuming they all have decent night vision. I think I would want 24 hour recording too.

POE, NVR, DVR?

#56 Blatz, May 8, 2022
    Last edited: May 8, 2022
  17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

A DVR is the CPU that the cameras will record to its hard drive. An NVR is a networked DVR that you can view remotely online.

POE stands for power over ethernet. The cameras will have to be connected to your NVR/DVR to record, either by WiFi or ethernet cable. Cameras also need a power source, either hard wired or battery. You can go completely wireless with batteries and Wi-Fi cameras, but you'll have to recharge the batteries and the Wi-Fi signal can be inconsistent. POE allows you to power your cameras through the cable that connects to your NVR/DVR. Your NVR or network switch has to provide POE to power POE-capable cameras.

I wired my own POE cameras and NVR using Dahua equipment. They are a major camera manufacturer that most American brands will rebrand from. Hikvision is the other major manufacturer. The American commercial ones will probably have more user friendly software, but will come with a markup.

Xerobull and Blatz like this.
  18. Xerobull

I upgraded my NVR (Network Video Recorder) last month and decided on Annke as a brand because their reviews all cited a great phone and desktop apps, and I haven’t been disappointed.

I ended up getting a 16 channel system with 2 ip cam (which I had) channels which brings my total potential to 18. It came with 8 hd cams + wiring and power which worked for me to replace some of my older cams.

I discovered that if you order from their website it’s much cheaper so that’s the way I went. Got to me in a week.

The apps do live up to the hype. The desktop app takes a little configuration but once it’s running it’s golden. There are cool features like person recognition and boundary setting that allows you to draw lines around an area to trigger recording.

Check them out on Amazon.

Blatz likes this.
  19. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

You definitely want POE cameras and NVR. You already have to run ethernet to connect your cameras to the NVR. If you do non-POE, you have to run electrical wire to power the camera, too, which running electrical near low voltage can create signal interference. You can get by with a non-POE NVR, but then you'll have to plug your cameras into a POE switch, then into your network. It's better to avoid doing that by getting an NVR that can provide POE.

Sometimes, you might have to use external POE switches if you can't get your runs back to your NVR. For example, when I added ethernet drops in my attic, I could not run them through the floor to master closet where my NVR is. Instead, I ran the ethernet drops into my living room, where my builders installed a conduit for the TV wiring, and connected those to a POE switch that plugged into an existing ethernet port the builders installed. I know it sounds confusing, but as long as your cameras have power and are connected into the network somehow, the NVR can find it.

I wouldn't worry about hard drive space. How much you need will be determined by your amount of cameras and how much footage you want to store. With my setup of 8 cameras at 1080p, I have two 3TB HDDs, it gives me about a month's of storage. But HDDs are cheap and can be replaced later.

First, you should decide how many cameras you need to determine your NVR size. I knew I would need at minimum 7, so I started with a 16-channel NVR. POE is a necessity. To learn more, go to ipcamtalk.com. There's a ton you can learn from there, but it'll require lots of groundwork reading as they are not very newbie-friendly when you ask questions. Most of the time, they'll tell you to search for the answers since your questions have likely been asked numerous times.

Blatz likes this.