1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone here works in Silicon Valley?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LegendZ3, Mar 28, 2008.

1. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

I think the sales tax is different in each city. In San Francisco, I pay 8.5% sales tax. In some places in the East Bay like San Pablo, its 8.75%

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

I think there are variation of percentages imposed by each city or county. %8.25 is what the State imposes, if I am not wrong.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

same in texas 8.25% sales tax

4. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Thanks for the input guys. So it's definitely doable on an entry level salary. But the commutate really is a turn off for me. I hate the 20 minutes drive I have to take to school right now. An hour each way will definitely drive me nuts.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

:D

An hour each way is nothing in bay area. That's like the average commute time.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I dunno about apartments and renting, but as far as homes go there is no comparison at all. The average house in Beverly Hills will go for twice or three times as much in Woodside or Marin County...

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Just remember a Cali commute is measured in minutes and hours more so than mileage.

A commute of 10 miles could be 15 minutes or 2 hours depending on traffic flow.

8. prs325

prs325 Member

I hate the commute also. It takes me 35-45 minutes to get to work. People typically have a drive time of 45min to 1hr even 1.30hr. Mine is not that bad but I would kill to 15-20 minutes commute. I would strategize to find a place near your employment especially if its in a nice location. You can either walk or bike it. Youd be saving gas, experience the weather/landscape, excercise and not have to worry about the traffic which is horrific :(

9. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

Or you could take the Caltrain and read a book on your way to work.

10. prs325

prs325 Member

Thats fine too :p

11. LegendZ3

Anyone know normally how long does it take to get a promotion over there? And how much raise would it be? I know this can vary greatly from company to company, but does anyone have a ballpark figure?

12. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

I work for Flickr -- I'd say that if you are living in the S. Bay, entry level salary shared for two people would get you by but you'd have little savings. If you are thinking of living in San Francisco (an hour away), then it would be harder to be comfortable -- it can be done, but rent is comparable to NY and you'd have to think about ways to commute (car payments, etc.).

Can't beat the weather, culture, people and the industry, though. Good luck.

13. LegendZ3

So you work for Yahoo right? Yahoo is one of the companies I'm interviewing with. Do you work at the headquarter in Sunnyvale?

#33 LegendZ3, Mar 28, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  14. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

Both - I switch off between Sunnyvale and SF.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I'll be working in the South Bay starting in July, but commuting from San Francisco. We'll have a car pool set up to help ease the stress of commuting 40 miles to work.

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

#36 Mr. Brightside, Mar 29, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  17. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i lived in cupertino for a couple of years. what you've read here is true.

housing is expensive.
    the weather is the reason.

11 of the 12 months the temp varied between 50-80. in august it might hit mid 90s.

oh and the scenery. it's amazing to be able to look around and see mountains. a 45 minute drive to see snow toped mountains in one direction, and 45 minutes in the other direction to reach the beach. yosimite is a must.

18. super_mario

super_mario Member

Get a roommate and you'll be fine. It's pretty common out there.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

varies by county, same as California.

is Marin up to 10 percent yet?

20. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

Once I finish grad school I'm also hoping to land a job out there, same field, preferrably after "The Big One" hits. That would suck to take the trouble to move all the way out there only to get Katrina-ed/Rita-ed.