1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone here lives in Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by stonegate_archer, Jan 19, 2007.

1. stonegate_archer

stonegate_archer Contributing Member

I am moving to Hong Kong for work in September and just want to know if anyone lives in Hong Kong and if you can give any information about living in HK it would be great!!! I am a little scared about the apartment price although company chimes in quite a bit. Also I am so used to living in the states where you can just google everything, even though I am Chinese. So the anxiety level is quite high.

Think about it this website is the best, a virtual place for everyone no matter where you live.

2. Yan_Yao

Yan_Yao Member

Do you speak Chinese? If so, do you speak mandarin or Cantonese? If you don't speak Cantonese, learn how to speak it, because it gives you a higher status Chinese.

But seriously, if you're Chinese, I don't think it will be a problem for you at all even if you haven't go there before, it's just like NY but with more people and more skyscrapers built closer to each other, it's one of the greatest city in the world.

3. Yan_Yao

Yan_Yao Member

OH YEAH, IF YOU SOMEBODY TO RESPECT YOU, YOU BETTER HAVE DINERO.

4. pchan

pchan Member

I used to live in HK.

Which area is your apartment located? The simplest way to get around the city is to use the MTR (the subway or whatever you like to call it). It is a little expensive.

The first thing to get is a octopus card, you can get it at any mTR station. http://www.octopuscards.com/consumer/en/index.jsp

Basically, you put money in it, and you can use it to travel in pretty much all public transportation, and even in the convenient stores like 7-eleven and supermarkets.. it is really convenient.

5. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I guess this is only in HK? Im pretty sure their indifferent in the mainland. Im interested because I'm cantonese and I didn't notice any preferential treatment when I was in HK.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Never lived in Hong Kong, but I used to travel there frequently when I was with Dell. The thing that I liked best about HK is that just about everyone speaks English. Cabs work pretty well there and are pretty reasonable, but as the other poster suggested, the octopus card is the way to go. Tunnel fees from HK island can get kinda pricey (35 and 25 HKD).

The first thing you should decide is whether or not you want to live in Kowloon or Hong Kong Island. HK Island obviously is considerably more expensive, but it's also right in the heart of the financial district and nightlife (red light district and Lan Kwai Fong).

As far as options, you have plenty, but here are my recommendations:

1. Lantau Island: There are a ton of new beautiful high-rises popping up on Lantau Island, which is basically one large rock that was grinded down to build the airport about 10 years ago. It's kinda far from the city, and you have to pay a bridge toll when you pass by the port. But the prices there may be a little more reasonabble.

2. North Hong Kong: Again, lots of new development as you move towards the China-HK border. A lot of these new buildings are located in close proximity to the train, which takes you right into the Hung Hom Station in the heart of Tsim Sha Tsui

3. Tsim Sha Tsui East: Not as busy as the regular TST with all the tourists, but still convenient to HK Island, as its right on the edge of Kowloon.

4. HK Island: Again, this is where the rent can get extremely pricey and even more than Manhattan in a lot of cases. If you enjoy being in the heart of the action though, there's no better place to be.

7. stonegate_archer

Thanks a lot guys, it is good information. As far as where I live, it is gonna be the HK island since I will be working for a wall street firm.

One of the comments bothers me a bit, that if I speak Cantonese I get better treatment, that is really not right. I speak Mandarin only.

Also, where can I get a good map of HK online? I have been googling around but found nothing impressive.

I am also a table tennis player and won the college team tournament here in the states once. Hope I can find good clubs there too.

One big loss will be not watching Rockets live ( I will have to kiss my Tivo goodbye too), thank God we have this site.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I travel to Hing Kong often, although I dont live there. From my experiences, HK is very very cheap, and everyone speaks english. Much more american-like than any other city in Asia

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

When and where did you play? Just curious, we may have crossed paths. I played for Florida a few years ago, when we were still routinely in the top 5.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I'm a table tennis player as well, although I played juniors overseas. I didn't know colleges in America had table tennis teams.

11. stonegate_archer

I played and won for Bradley University in 2001. American College table tennis was at very low level when I played, that is how we could win the whole thing. I am a good player but not professional. Nowadays they have semi or former pro players in the league so it is much more difficult to win now. I am lefthanded and an agressive attacker.

For Mr. Brightside, not every school has a team, but there are clubs all over the country.

12. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

I studied abroad in Hong Kong a couple years ago and had the time of my life. I agree with the comment above that almost everybody speaks English. You will have no problem communicating in either English or Mandarin, which most people know how to speak as well (students are required to learn Mandarin in schools now).

Like the others said, MTR is the way to go! With the subway, trains, buses (you'll learn which ones to take once you move there), minibuses, and taxis, in my opinion this is some of the best and most affordable public transportation in the world.

Rent may be expensive, but I think it cancels with the cheap and delicious food you can eat (there's pricey stuff too, if you like). Bottom line is this is one of the best cities in the world - I'd want to go work there for a little while too if a company lets me do so.

P.S. Watch Rockets games streaming live p2p!

13. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Small world! That was my last year of undergrad, although we weren't that good at the time. I came back for grad school a year later and that's when we started qualifying for the championship meets. We ended up meeting Texas Wesleyan (all pros) in the bracket one year. We made it entertaining, but I don't think there was much doubt who would win that match-up. :(

Yes, there is the NCTTA. All school teams are basically started by and managed by students, so if there isn't one at your school you're going to have to start one and find funding from the school to get going, which is rarely easy. Right now Texas Wesleyan has a full blown program, w/ pro coaches and scholarships. Their team is loaded w/ professionals w/ Olympic and World-Class experience. I believe Stanford and Maryland also have one or two national team members now.

I imagine both of you must be pretty good, or at least avg by tournament standards. Do either of you play in USATT tournaments? I'm about 1800 right now. I used to split matches w/ 1900-2000 players in club play last year, but I've moved now and there's not much competition.

14. stonegate_archer

Cool, small world indeed. There is also the ACUI individual tournament, which is a seperate tournament.

When I was playing a lot I was about high 2100, close to 2200. But since I got in buisness school I rarely played, oh boy i miss the game. But, the career is much more important, so I guess I need to wait to train my kids.
    Anyway it is good to know you also play.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

You should shoot for a place around Victoria's Peak if you have the cash. Here's a couple of shots from my last trip there. The first is me, and the next is the city view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. micah1j

micah1j Member

I hear the air pollution is getting bad there.

17. stonegate_archer

Dude, appreicate your pictures but I cant' see them (forbidden), can you post them here?

18. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Copy the link and paste on your browser. Should work than.

19. stonegate_archer

No, still don't see them, "not found" this time, did you manage to see them?

20. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Yeah, when I clicked on the link I couldn't see it, but was able to see it when I copied the link and pasted it to my browser. Second pic is a nice view of the city. First pic is Baqui posing in his UT shirt.