1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone had a pinched nerve (neck)?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROXTXIA, Jul 11, 2018.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I tried to edit my rotator cuff thread and couldn't. Don't think that's the problem.

After an xray in my neck showing degenerative discs, the doctor ordered a cervical MRI to see if a pinched nerve is causing my arm/hand numbness/weakness. (No fap jokes. This has been no fun at all.)

I wonder if anyone here has had a pinched nerve and the symptoms/solutions. I don't know if this is what's going on but it would follow. You always know when something is not right but finding what it is can be a b****.

Sorry about all the physical ailment type threads.

2. smokieethabear

I've had a pinched nerve in my mid/lower back which caused tingling and stiffness down my right leg and even pain behind the right knee. I was worried it could be a blood clot but thankfully the doctor's said it was a pinched nerve. They prescribed me a heavy dose of naproxen and also a medrol (if needed). The naproxen it self helped a lot (it was a 7 day regimen), didn't have to take the medrol. In addition, I purchased a TENS machine from amazon which helped alleviate pain and get blood flowing. I would also alternate with 20 minute ice pack and then 20 minute heat (I used a electronic heating pad).

In about 1.5 week doing all those things, my pain went down significantly (50% or more) and movement in my leg improved. I continued the ice/heat treatment and the TENS machine for another week or so and it went back to normal.

Your situation is a bit different with the Degenerative Disc but see if the docs want to prescribe something. You can always do the other treatments at home.

Good luck!

P.S. - Quitting fapping could help too.. sorry just had to do that =P

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Should still be able to choke chicken with other hand.

Anway... I am 32 and 3 back surgeries in because of hernias/degenerative disease. About two years ago, I had turned my head slightly and felt an explosion in my mid right neck area. Hurt like **** in that moment and was sore approxiametly 2 weeks. Movement and turning of head went from 0 after the initial twinge and gradully restored. I still have nerve pain in my neck and back regulary and this tends to radiate throughout your body via sciatica and such.

A great anti inflammotory drug that has worked for me and my father is Meloxicam. Helps with numerous things (IE some arthritis that I already have) I swear by the stuff.

Seems like the biggest thing with my neck is not falling asleep with it all crooked. My friend Pat got hit in the head with a beer bottle and then screwed up multiple nerves in his neck. No fun and no fun looking like a tardo when you can turn your dome.

Meloxicam/Ice/Laying on an even pillow where you don't feel a lot of pressure over the next couple days when you can should help.

Torn n Frayed and macalu like this.
  4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Yep, I've had a pinched nerve for the last six weeks. Causes numbness/tingling in the left arm if I position myself a certain way. Researched about exercises to alleviate the pain which has helped but the pinched nerve is still there. Went to a massage therapist and that didn't work either Finally gonna see a neurologist on Monday.

I'm pretty sure it's caused by poor posture in my case. Sitting with my head forward in front of a PC at work 7 hours a day and watching TV at an angle at night. I'll try Francis suggestion of Meloxicam.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I have this now....started as bad shoulder pain (like a really bad crick in your neck) with pain shooting down my arm...it hurt to even laugh for a while, but now the shoulder pain is gone...I get the numbness/tingling in my arm from time to time during the day. Been this way for a few months. If I were in pain with it still, I'd go see doctor...but since I'm not, I'm just waiting it out. Takes a while for it to go away completely. Aside from exercises and pain killers, there's not much they can do about it.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Symptoms vary by person. I have an MRI scheduled for next week. Frustrating because I don't know if what I have is a pinched nerve. Every case is different. Some people have pain, some no. Stiff neck, yes, but weakness in hand/arm that really shouldn't be there. Quite a decline from only a month ago.

It started as a tingling/numbness/weakness when I twinged something in my shoulder and even though I thought it was better it got worse that week.

Frustrating because my wife thinks everything is psychosomatic (who knows) and she is not helping my stress. You know when something is not quite right.

Torn n Frayed likes this.