1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone Going to SXSW This Year?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vwiggin, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Spent most of yesterday at the convention center and making the free rounds up and down 6th. Lots of free day-passes available through radio stations that can get you into the convention rooms.

Warning: Unless you want to spend half the day looking for a parking space, your best bet is to find a free parking lot outside of downtown and take the bus. Downtown traffic is a nightmare.

Heading back out today.

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

ok, as far as parking goes... are there available lots anywhere? i don't mind paying, i just don't want to be driving around for two hours.

any tips?

i'll probably get there around noon.

3. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Unfortunately, the answer is no. Your best bet is to drive around EAST of I-35 until you locate a spot and start walking. I suggest starting down E. 5th.

Good luck.

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

found my way to Houston and am headed to Austin this morning. Gonna hit up Cafe Mundi, Guero's Taco Bar, Maggie Mae's, and some other local non wristband venues...

5. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

Its been my first SXSW experience this year, and honestly I'm a little let down. I guess I wasn't really sure what to expect. I've got a few wristbands from friends who actually knew what they were doing, but I haven't cared for a lot of the music / crowds so far. I'm trying to buck up for the weekend, so maybe I'll change my mind by Sunday.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just a warning that tomorrow is going to be cold and rainy.

7. the futants

Yacht and Man...or Astroman? were AWESOME yesterday at the MWTX Party. My brain hurts...

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I know this is probably too late, but like I mentioned before, it is best to find a park and ride and take the city bus. The downside to public transportation is the eclectic people you encounter. The upside is the eclectic people you encounter.

Otherwise, parking is like playing the lottery. You get lucky sometimes. The time on the bus is less than the time driving around in gridlock looking for a spot.

We saw Cracker, Bodeans and Cheap trick last night.

9. DanzelKun

DanzelKun Contributing Member

Was hoping someone would mention this show, so that I could brag about being up on the stage with VIP passes... Parked myself right by the guitar tech so I got the chance to see all the cool guitars that Rick Nielsen has up close... Cheap Trick still rocks pretty good... for some old dudes! :grin:

10. the futants

DJ Spooky played with a string ensemble and Graham Reynolds on drums and Peter Stopschinski on keys at the MWTX party yesterday also. Quite cool.

11. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Gwar was fun and messy. They had a guy in an Obama costume. Needless to say, he did not "survive".

My highlight of the weekend was going to see Kurupt, Murs and DJ Quik (missed Xhibit) at Club Deville. Bone Thugs -n- Harmony came out during the DJ Quik set and did a few songs which was really cool.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm jealous you saw DJ Quik.

I saw Boxer Rebellion@ Cedar ST and Smokey Robinson@Austin Music Hall.
    Smokey rocked the joint, he's 70!

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i heard lots of good things about that show. wish i had gone.

i saw like 15 bands - all during the day and all for free.

i ate at that empanada stand on 5th and brazos like 3 times. taste buds enjoyed - corn-hole did not.

f***ed up & holy f*** @ mwtx fest on sunday - i was feeling sick that day and as much as i wanted to see andrew wk and gwar, it was getting noticeably colder by the hour and by 6:30 i just wanted to get home. hadnt heard holy f*** before though - those guys are amazing - bass/drums and two guys doing keys/loops/samples/live sound manipulation/guitar - really amazing live band.

thurston moore doing solo set on 12 string acoustic guitar at the french litigation musuem

liars at club deville

acid mothers temple, these are powers and tobacco in a parking lot

dengue fever and califone at flamingo cantina

most pleasant surprise/new discovery was DARK CASTLE at emos - bad ass 2 piece shoegaze-drone-metal.
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WOppzawo2XQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WOppzawo2XQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

14. tinman

Supporting Member

I was thinking about heading to check out the shows at the french litigation, that place is really nice.

Did DJ Quik sing "Just like Compton?"

My favorite DJ Quik song!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U5nlEQ84h7s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U5nlEQ84h7s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Yep. He put on a real good show and did several songs from that album. He even gave me daps at the end for telling him thanks for coming out to Austin. :cool:

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Did he say that "Austin" is just like Compton? ;) :grin:

17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

tinman, did you make it to the Distant Relatives show? What did you think of it?

My older bro. was there and he said it wasn't as crowded as he thought it would be.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

at Emos?

Dude I went up there (I have no wristband) on Thursday and the line was out the wazoo. The Emos person told me that the public tickets sold out a few hours ago.

I also tried to see Crystal Method at Elysium and that was sold out too :mad:

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Yea, it was at Emo's but I thought it was on Wednesday. My bro. was telling me he saw the same people walking in and out of that show repeatedly, so he figured the line must have not been that long. But he was inside the whole time. I guess there must not have been a line for badge and wristband holders. Maybe people buying single tickets only?

20. ocelot4ark

ocelot4ark Member

I went. My favorite shows of the weekend:

Black Keys
    Neon Trees
    Ha Ha Tonka
    Frightened Rabbit