1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

While in line, news reporter asked me, "What makes you want to buy an electric car?" I told him go find the waiting lines for Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt.

People still don't get it. If you build a better car, people will come. That's how you push electric, not with these econo-boxes that people wouldn't want to be caught dead in.

#121 CXbby, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

will it be pointless for me to reserve online tonight if I want to get the 7500 credit?

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

If nothing changes, then yes it may be pointless. BUT, Elon tweeted this a couple of days ago.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Looks like we may need to increase production plans for the Model 3 <a href="https://t.co/fmCPFC9FEm">pic.twitter.com/fmCPFC9FEm</a></p>&mdash; Elon Musk (@elonmusk) <a href="https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/714963420316049411">March 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is reinforced by 100 fold today.

My prediction is that Tesla will need to raise massive about of capital after today to ramp up production much faster than planned in order to meet this demand. This changes a few things re: the tax credit.

After 200k is reached, the next 3 months will still be eligible for the FULL tax credit, for all Tesla's produced. Then 50% credit for 6 months and 25% for 6 months.

Depending on how high Tesla can ramp up its production, they could fit a lot of people into those first 3 months. If they produce 100k Model 3s in those 3 months then the first 100k preorders all qualify etc.

It is my speculation that they will raise a lot of money and build an extra factory because of what we have seen today(there's already speculation of one in SuZhou, China), if that happens then a lot of people can qualify for the tax credit.

4. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I live in the city and down the block from our local Tesla dealership. Waited in line this morning and put in my deposit on my way to work. Oddly I've been strongly contemplating the Model S to buy this year and didn't even know about this model until reading this thread yesterday. Decided, why not? I'll keep following this thread to see what the damn car actually looks like. Tesla guy said it should be unveiled tonight

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

400+ at Dallas.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/txa1Ptaht_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Leaked image. Looks legit.

[​IMG]

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Thanks for all of the info. I think I'll pass since I couldn't make it out to get in line.

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

How is it a better car if you haven't even seen it, seen the specs or anything? Not judging but that's like me saying the apple 7 will be a better phone.

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

For many people the Model S is a better car than all its competitors. It is the highest rated car in Consumer Reports history. It has the highest customer satisfaction(99%). It has supercar acceleration and performance in a family sedan while giving you better mileage than a Prius. It is the safest car ever tested by NHTSA. These superlatives have not been seen combined into one car before. That is why it is the best selling high end luxury sedan in the US in 2015 above Mercedes S class and BMW 7 series.(even though there are still people who have never heard of Tesla yet)

The Model X just launched recently and will win similar awards from what I've seen.

From this they have built a brand. With the Model 3 while people have not seen it yet they have an expectation. If it is the same quality vs a CLA/3 series/A4 as a Model S is vs S class/7 series, then it will be the best car you can buy for $35k.

Also, while we have not seen the car yet or know its specs, we do know Autopilot will be available. Autopilot and the over the air updates(free of charge and continuously improves your car) that will eventually get it to Autonomous drive changes the way people transport in a way not dissimilar to how the Iphone1 changed the way we use the internet. This we know it will have.

And if it sucks, the preorder is fully refundable.

#130 CXbby, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  11. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Argh. I did not realize that foreign stores would also be open to take reservations today. I could have easily gone to the Munich store.

Oh well -- have to set my alarm for 5am then.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Hearing 1000+ people line in CA. This is nuts, way beyond what I expected.

What's crazier is that for most of the nation, your average joes have never even heard of the Model 3. This is all just tech geeks, environmentalists and Tesla fans.

The Model S got the attention of these people.

The Model 3 will get the attention of the mainstream.

The craziest thing is that this is still an expensive early technology. The internal combustion engine has been developed and refined for over 100 years and hundreds of billions of dollars of R&D being poured into it over the years. Tesla has been around for 10 years.

One day they will make a $10k model that is equally as compelling as a $25k Camry and render gasoline and the internal combustion engine obsolete.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Even a Hispanic security guard wants one! JayZ BTFO!!

Yeah! No one has poured any money into battery chemistry or electric motors. Tesla is such an innovator!

14. marky :)

marky :) Member

Let's say I get this Tesla Model 3. What is the resale value for me in 3-5 years? Are there people willing to buy this model after 3-5 years of wear and tear?

I'm guessing that this 35k-45k price range Tesla will increase overall count of Tesla's running on the road. Where do I go to get this serviced at and I can only get it serviced from Tesla?

Not hating or anything but these are questions I have about it if anyone has some info on it.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

These might as be rhetorical because it is obvious no one knows. All previous models have been luxury cars owned mostly by people who don't drive much.
    One of the reasons certain states are at odds with Tesla selling their cars. States have dealership network requirements for service and support.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

You can go buy a 3 year old Model S today. They hold their value as well or better than a Mercedes.

You get serviced at a Tesla service center, which they continue to build and expand. They will also eventually have Tesla certified shops when numbers get big. You will also go to get serviced less compared to gasoline car since there are less parts to break.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Online ordering at <a href="https://t.co/46TXqRrsdr">https://t.co/46TXqRrsdr</a> will now open at 7:30pm Pacific to ensure no server overload. Presentation still at 8:30.</p>&mdash; Elon Musk (@elonmusk) <a href="https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/715637755598901248">March 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I find it convenient that the media is not reporting how many people got trampled in line in the rush to get a Tesla.

I think Elon Musk is quietly silencing these reports and videos.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

could you just imagine how that would look? A bunch of middle age white guys yelling, "That's assault!, Assault!, I'm calling my Lawyer!, I'm filing reports!"

20. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

it would be funny if this thing looks like garbage like all the other sub $50k EVs. I personally think the model X looks horrible...