1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

This is a good point. If you don't own home or properties, then stop throwing your money towards a depreciating item like a car. Get only what you need and minimum car you can get away with. Your home will go up in value in 6-7 years time while your car will be worth close to nothing after that same time.

#921 Zboy, Mar 14, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    Exiled likes this.
  2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Show me please. I want to keep my liquid. Delivery is scheduled for this weekend.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

PM me your email

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

PM'd

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Instructions emailed. Read them carefully. You can get everything done in one day and have the check overnighted to you if approved.

I would start the process ASAP if I were you since delivery date is close.

RKREBORN likes this.
  6. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Got it, thank you! Waiting on the updated MVPA from Tesla :)

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Speak of the devil, Tesla just raised prices across the board significantly, about $3-4k on most models, $12.5k on the model X plaid. Yes there are inflation pressures that are driving this, but also Tesla has a 6 month backlog on its cheapest variant and that was before gas prices went through the roof, they can afford to jack up prices as there is plenty of demand to absorb it.

https://electrek.co/2022/03/14/tesla-increases-prices-whole-lineup-cheapest-electric-csr/

Zboy likes this.
  8. CXbby

CXbby Member

@Zboy i appreciate that you have actually done the research on this topic. People snicker at me in these tesla threads because they think I am a fanboy or that I have money tied up with their stock. In reality, I did the same comparative research that you did years ago and came to the exact same conclusion, that there was no one close (especially at that time) so I bet every dime I had on them and it paid off.

You are absolutely right that the supercharger network is a huge competitive advantage that isn’t going away any time soon. Tesla is expanding their network exponentially the more money they make, meanwhile no other oem has a network of their own. The closest thing is Electrify America network that Volkswagon was forced to create as a penalty for their diesel gate fraud case. But because this was only created out of punishment, it is poorly maintained and it is 50/50 whether you are pulling up to a working station. Also the major difference is that Tesla is able to use any of these third party networks, meanwhile the best networks which is their own proprietary one is exclusive to Tesla owners.

In addition to the network I would say there’s two other major upsides to Tesla.

1. Brand value. No other brand in the world currently, outside of maybe Apple, have the cult like following of Tesla. This translates to insane resale value which has been industry leading for many years(before any of the current industry wide jacked up second hand market due to chip shortages).

2. Tech and software updates. Best tech on the market and no one else updates with new and improved features regularly. Going from our bmw and Lexus to Tesla a couple years ago was like jumping 20 years in tech. Let’s not even talk about fsd since that’s such an expensive option, but mind blowing.

#928 CXbby, Mar 15, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    RKREBORN and Zboy like this.
  9. Sajan

Sajan Member

47 pages in...so who all has a Model 3?
    How has the service experience been? Asking for a family member. I keep reading not so great things about the service/parts side.

Cxbby no need to respond. We know it's been great for you.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve had my Model Y for two years. So far, so good. Depending on where you live and the issue, Tesla will send a mobile team to your location to fix the issue. The one time I had to take it to a service center on Westheimer, they issued $500 of Uber credits to use for a couple of days.

I will not be going back to an ICE car.

jiggyfly, CXbby and Sajan like this.
  11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

This is after 1k increase just a few days ago and increase around December as well.

Saw it coming which is why I placed multiple orders back in November.

My car's value has gone up by 6k for Model Y and $7500 for Model 3 Long Range ($2500 Massachusetts State Rebate) since i ordered them (you lock the prices when you put your $250 deposit down) and I haven't even taken delivery for all of them yet. :)

#931 Zboy, Mar 15, 2022
    CXbby likes this.
  12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Same, my Model 3 drives effortlessly and smoothly. And I never have to worry about range with a level 2 home charger at home and superchargers available wherever I go.

Hard for me to go back to ICE.

RKREBORN likes this.
  13. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My model Y has appreciated $15k. $20k appreciation if you factor in FSD (it was $7k when i bought it. Now it is $12k). Your cost of ownership with a Tesla is so much lower than any other car.

Zboy likes this.
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

Service is an issue due to how fast the company grew, deliveries and actually selling the car obviously took precedence over service centers, especially a few years ago when the company was struggling. Now they are printing money and investing heavily in service infrastructure and charging infrastructure, but that takes time. The dealership networks for legacy auto was built over decades, gas stations were built over 100 years. Tesla is trying to go as fast as they can. Good thing is most people don’t have to deal with service, best service is no service.

15. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

anyone know what type of wiring is needed for the tesla wall charger?

house is kinda old, am i worrying too much?

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Standard 240v outlet used for dryers etc.

17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If your house is old and you have a 100 AMP panel then you will need to do a load check. Get an electrician to make an assessment. It should be free. Just tell him you are thinking of installing a car charger and need an estimate. He/she will do a load assessment.

Or you could charge the car at night while not much else is running. Just have to be careful.

1) You can connect your Tesla to a 110V receptacle but you will be getting only 3 miles of range charge per hour.

2) You can connect to a 240 V, something that is used for a Washer/dryer and that will give you faster charge.

However be careful connecting your Tesla directly to these kind of outlets. Most of these use really cheap receptacle which can overheat and catch fire with sustained long duration charging of Tesla. Even when you ask electrician to run wires and install a 240V 15-40 Nema outlet, they seem to use the cheap $10 receptacle.

Tesla recommends a few good quality one. I spent $100 on one of these...

https://www.kellyhayes.com/hbl9450a...g-single-straight-blade-power-receptacle.html

These are high quality ones that should go with your Tesla charging.

You can connect your Tesla plug straight into the 14-50 NEMA receptacle but I would advise against it if you are charging it daily. You dont want to play around with the receptacle and you get no smart charging or usage monitoring this way.

3) Instead, I recommend getting one of the charging units. You can get a Tesla one for $450 which is a good option but I believe the new ones can only be hard wired.

I went with Chargepoint Flex because I can charge Tesla or any other EV using it AND I wanted a unit that can be plugged into the 14-50 NEMA receptacle instead of hardwiring it. Easy for me to replace the unit in future:

It's a nice unit. I can control it via app even when away, monitor usage, and schedule charges etc.

One thing to note: If you decide to do a plug in install then the max you can draw is 40 AMP with a 50 Amp breaker.

If you want to draw 50 Amp then you need to hardwire it and use a 60 Amp breaker.

Whichever way you go with, ask your electrician to use a high quality copper wire for your wiring that runs from panel to the receptacle, one that can support at least 60 amp of current. I believe I went with 6/3 Copper to future proof my install.

PS. You could claim 30% of equipment and labor cost to install charger at home on Federal tax return. But I believe it ended as of Dec of last year. You can try to verify if it's still available.

Also check with your state and power utility provider. Some of them give incentives for installing charger at home. Here in Massachusetts we have a lot of incentives via various programs.

#937 Zboy, Mar 15, 2022
    CXbby likes this.
  18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is it just me or are most new cars ugly?

thegary likes this.
  19. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

appreciate this post. will definitely print it off and show, going to call an electrician to come out and take a look sometime for sure.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You're just getting old. lol. There are some questionable and/or dated designs out there, though. lol. I still like Audi designs and even Hyundai/Kia/Genesis have some sweet looking vehicles. The electric vehicle designs are pretty "meh" for the most part, but they'll come along.

Ubiquitin likes this.