1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not going to say anything you stated is true or false. I was referring to the original post that was made with the tweet. Just putting it in context. I have nothing against Tesla or any other manufacturer. I especially have nothing against electric vehicles since I'll eventually own one. I'm only looking for honesty in how information is posted about the tech/adoption and just saw a ton of ambiguity in percentage stats and no mention of whether they reference (ICE + electric) or electric-only or (BEV + PHEV) or I-don't-know-what numbers being used in a percentage stat. That's all.

Sajan and dmoneybangbang like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Honestly, that's probably still the only major thing that keeps me from getting one. I just need more range on these things without them going into the 6-figure range. Either that or make charging stations way more ubiquitous. I think the Polestar 2 has something like a 250-mile range or something, and I'm always worried if that's a best-case scenario. That would be ok for me nowadays just tooling around the city, tbh, but whenever I get the urge to take a road-trip, I'd be hunting maps for charging stations and where to charge.

basso likes this.
  3. CXbby

CXbby Member

https://insideevs.com/news/564628/europe-plugin-car-sales-2021/amp/

Here are the numbers for the entire year in Europe. Agian, note that due to the import tax and diminished incentives for imported cars Tesla competes at a price disadvantage and doesn’t dominate in Europe as much as they do in other major markets like the US and China. That will all change as they open up their manufacturing plant in Berlin this month. But with that said, in 2021 the Model 3 was still the best selling EV in Europe, outselling second placed by 100%, meanwhile second place, the Renault Zoe ev, costs less than half as much.

#903 CXbby, Mar 13, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, it's not ideal, and why I think a hybrid of some sort, even if it's just got a three gallon tank, is more practical right now. but even with $5 gas, it would take me a long time to justify the cost of the Polestar.

in my ideal world I'd have a solar roof, big battery on the side of the house, and an EV. we're just not quite there yet.

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

The original tweet was talking about tesla sales vs total sales for legacy oems(which include gas cars). Yes, their total sales still far surpass Teslas, but EV sales overall have reached 20% market share in Europe and taking over fast. Tesla is one of the leaders there, with the best selling overall EV in 2021, although when accounting for all plug ins(which include plug in hybrids) Tesla is not as dominant in Europe as they are in other places, though things are about to change as they start European manufacturing.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is why I said the tweet was a bit misleading and disingenuous.

Yes, Tesla is starting up over there compared to other manufacturers.
    Yes, Tesla will be bringing their Berlin plant up to speed.
    Yes, Tesla will be selling more vehicles there soon and could soon be #1 in non-ICE sales.
    No, Tesla didn't sell the most electric vehicles there that month.
    No, Tesla didn't sell the most BEP + PHEV vehicles there that month.
    No, those numbers don't necessarily give any apparently meaningful indication about electric vehicle sales.
    No, those numbers didn't mean Tesla was destroying electric competition at the time.
    No, those numbers didn't mean Tesla had put a scratch into overall car sales (when including ICE) there.
    Yes, those numbers included ICE vehicles, but we know ICE sales were wrecked during COVID, so of course, they'll probably be down as whatever inventory ICE dealers had were being sold off and not being replenished due to COVID and semiconductor shortages.
    Yes, Tesla did and probably could manage COVID and semiconductor shortages better than legacy automakers.

Personal opinion : those percentages in the tweet really don't point to anything other than a mishmash of data thrown into one pot and arriving at a seeming positive for Tesla which the original Tweeter wanted to convey (or was led to convey).

Also personal opinion : this doesn't mean Tesla bad.

jiggyfly and Sajan like this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Ours actually has the tiny gas tank, a "range extender" in BMW speak, and we've used it once or twice. In this case, it actually just runs a little generator to provide extra juice. But yeah, I'm a fan.

We're lucky we haven't needed much range -- the i3's very much a city-only type of car -- and got such a happy price on a barely used EV. We've absolutely loved the thing.

Ubiquitin and basso like this.
  8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Fair. I think the most you can take from that data is that Tesla managed the semi shortage much better than legacy oems.

But again, ev sales ARE taking off in Europe, reaching 20% overall market share recently.

Tesla is doing well in Europe despite the obstacles I stated, with the Model 3 as the #1 selling BEV in 2021 by a margin of 100% over #2. (When accounting for all the models and phev Tesla falls more behind)

9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a colleague who loves her i3 as well, and the range extender takes some of the angst/planning away.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. Sajan

Sajan Member

Just FYI, I sold 100% more cars this year than I did last year.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Ironically, just got rid of my BMW M3. Model 3 ordered and should be here next week.

CXbby and Ubiquitin like this.
  12. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

nope. but i want to go EV and dad is looking to get rid of a clunker he's been driving, figured if he wants to take mine, i can get the EV, but like i said not a pressing matter. just something i'm thinking about

Ubiquitin likes this.
  13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I had 3 Teslas on order, one being the Cybertruck.

I ordered 2 Teslas back in October knowing that they are going to go up in price.

I took delivery of one last week. The other one later this year and Cybertruck will arrive most likely next year.

The reason I did this was because of high used car value. I wanted to get rid of my two non EVs and cash in. I was able to sell both at crazy high prices.

On the other hand, since I had locked up the Tesla price when I put my deposit in, my Tesla has been going up in value since they have been increasing in price since then. Folks buying cars from other manufacturers are paying over MSRP, which is a really bad move. With a Tesla, because the price keeps going up, I am actually paying below MSRP at time of delivery.

Not to mention, Teslas hold their values very well. I would rather have the money tied in Teslas than non-Tesla. Non-Tesla values will come down drastically once the used car market inflation dies down.

BTW, the only other car I was considering was Hyundai Ionic 5 Limited at 55k. It has a lot going for it but two things made me go with Tesla instead. Tesla re-sale value vs Hyundai resale value AND Tesla's supercharging network.

I am very hesitant to recommend any EV other than Tesla simply because of the supercharging network. If you want to know more why I dont, watch this video in full (made by folks close to where I live)...

Most of the point he makes you wont get until you have gone through the pain of owning a non Tesla EV and the convenience of owning a Tesla.

I actually did a detailed analysis of Tesla vs Ionic 5 Limited. They both had their pros and cons but the tesla supercharger network was too much to give up on.

PS. If you are thinking of getting a Tesla might as well order now. With Nickle shortage and the gas prices going up, they should be going up even more in the future?

#913 Zboy, Mar 13, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    CXbby and cheke64 like this.
  14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have 3 Teslas and I have two Hondas. We are not the same.

$5 gas does not bother me though. But I realize it sucks for most people.

Exiled and RKREBORN like this.
  15. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I am torn. I have the BMW i4 on order as well, but won't be here until July. My Model 3 Long Range is ready next week. I passed on the Kia EV6 GT Line after dealer wanted 8k over MSRP. Don't know what to do between the i4 and the Model 3.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I have 17 Teslas on order

17. Exiled

Exiled Member

Its all about priorities, most can pay that but can't afford a shed like this
    https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/24137663/10819-84-avenue-delta

I wish I had doubled on real estate

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Kia and Hyundai dealership experiences are some of the worst ones you can get in this country. I would stay away from them because how they handled the whole Sonata engine failure issue when a lot of folks were going through that. They have a bad rep because of that not just with the consumers but with other car dealers as well. I was considering Ionic 5 but it was hard to overlook these factors.

i4 is half baked EV by BMW. I was contemplating it but decided against it.

They took the chassis of the ICE one and shoved EV parts into it.

Just look at the floor bump in the center rear . Its an EV, it does not need it. There is no driveshaft in the EV.

Also lower range than long range Model 3.

And again, more importantly, you will be passing on the Tesla supercharger network.

Range and charging network are two of the biggest criteria when purchasing and EV and Model 3 Long range has I4 beat in both those categories.

My recommendation: Get the Long Range Model 3 and pay $2000 for performance boost upgrade over the air. Best bang for the buck in terms of configuration. You get speed and range and your tires are nowhere as expensive to replace as in the performance model.

#918 Zboy, Mar 14, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    CXbby likes this.
  19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Thats actually a smart move. In the current market, you can sell your Tesla for more the same day you take delivery, given that when you take delivery the car would have increased in price.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesl...ause-of-inflation-says-analyst-153854335.html

You can do that with Ionic 5 as well because of their $7500 rebate program provided you are able to grab one at MSRP.

And if you do decide to keep all your Teslas, I can show you how to secure loan on them for 1.24% APR for 65 months for full amount.

#919 Zboy, Mar 14, 2022
    CXbby likes this.
  20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Honda Clarity is a bargain for what it is and how much it saves on gas. 40+ mile range on electric only before hybrid kicks in.

As is Toyota Rav4 Prime, if you can find one for MSRP and are able to wait for 6 months delivery time. The $7500 tax rebate on the Toyotas will dwindle down to $4500 next quarter though as they are close to meeting their numbers.

#920 Zboy, Mar 14, 2022