1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electr...icated-fire-salvaged-car-buyer-reveals-video/

There’s reasons for most if not all of those cases. Teslas have been on the road for 9 years and there are currently >1m total, there have never been any widespread, systematic cases of battery fire, only very rare outliers mostly caused by external factors. The first 3 battery fires in 2013 came closest to a manufacturing “defect” issue, where they ran over large road obstructions and punctured the battery pack.(it can be argued that any car, battery, gas or otherwise would have had major issues running over large objects at highway speed) Tesla made their future vehicles with reinforced steel underbelly so that issue went away. Nothing else has been anything more than one offs.

Bolts have a design defect, the pouch style cells are far more susceptible to thermal runaway than Tesla’s cylindrical form factor. That’s why the recall affects all Bolts ever built and production has been completely halted. This could have industry wide ramifications as gm is not the only manufacturer using pouch batteries (vw). Tesla is the expert in batteries and there is a reason why they have stuck with cylindrical cells after all these years, 1. Cost, it is the same form factor as laptop cells which are produced in bulk already. 2. Safety, with thousands of cells as opposed to only a few dozen large ones, Tesla’s heat management can isolate individual problematic cells before thermal runaway happens. Large pouch cells is like a forest fire that you can’t put out.

It is not even close to the same ballpark to equate the Bolt’s issues with anything that has ever happened with Tesla. Tesla would have gone bankrupt 10 times over if this happened to them.

#881 CXbby, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

3. Jalen Green OnlyFan

4. Buck Turgidson

5. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

You should not be excited about a stock if you are not excited about the company.

7. Buck Turgidson

I don't care about either, I was just asking.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

“You” in general I meant.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Competition is coming! Especially in Europe where they are killing Tesla!

Space Ghost likes this.
  10. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

interesting...

i am heavily considering trading in a 2017 honda accord and purchasing a model 3. i definitely want to go EV eventually. should i just wait a few more years and see what the other manufactures are doing?

i assume with the competition that would drive prices down as well?

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Can you show totals?

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yes, I would assume prices would come down in a few years as more people switch over, and yes, obviously there will be more choices in a few more years, but getting rid of a 4 or 5-year old car? Is it giving you problems?

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

If you can hold off, right now is not a good time to be buying cars period, with supply shortages driving up prices industry wide. Although in a few years in all likelihood Tesla will still be far ahead of the competition, but by then the competition itself will have gotten better vs what they are now, so doesn’t hurt to wait for prices to come down then compare.

#894 CXbby, Mar 13, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

No. In early stages of disruption the trend is more predictive of the future rather than totals. Its like asking what the totals were for Blockbuster and Barnes and Nobles when Netflix and Amazon were just starting to take off and crying competition.

15. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want the polestar.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yes, but there is also the skew that percentages give to your stats, no? I mean, that stat, for that month, included ALL cars manufactured or just electric? And it's a percentage. And if you looked at the totals instead of percentages, wouldn't you have a better idea of the actual competition?

To use an analogy like yours, it's like saying last month I sold nothing, this month I sold 1 item. I have INFINITY% month-over-month sales!!! GO ME!

Not to mention Volkswagen outsold Tesla that month in terms of BEVs and PHEVs. Here are the actual numbers for that month since year-over-year percentage is a bit disingenuous and clouded without more information which the original tweet didn't provide.

https://insideevs.com/news/532799/germany-plugin-car-sales-august2021/

[​IMG]

Sajan and dmoneybangbang like this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The 1 or the 2? It makes a difference, you know. LOL.

Sajan likes this.
  18. CXbby

CXbby Member

More context: august like July are the first two months of the quarter when Teslas are in transit on ships to Europe, because Tesla does not have a manufacturing plant there yet and import all their cars, look up the numbers in september, when the cars arrive. Also, due to import tax and restrictions on invectives for imported cars Teslas are at a price disadvantage in Europe. That all ends when the Tesla Berlin factory starts production…this month, and ramp up over the course of this year.

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the 2. wish the range were a bit longer, however. I have a lease on an Alfa that's ending in a few weeks, but the purchase option is so attractive I'll probably just buy it instead.