1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't even think that's possible.

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

an Aussie in Austin.

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Camping out? Is this Black Friday at Best Buy? Only in America.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yeah, kind of like lining up for a midnight video game release, or the people camping out for Iphones. Most people are just going the morning of 3/31 though.

Two reasons why someone would want to camp out or line up. You may not be eligible for the $7500 tax credit if you are too far back in line, and you may have to wait months to a year extra to receive your car if you are too far back in line.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

From what I understand, when they start rolling them out, it will be starting from the west coast to the east coast. It doesnt sound like line placement matters much.

8. Salvy

Salvy Member

I want a Tesla so bad but it would be a really bad investment for me at the moment. When I heard Mitsubishi would stop making Evo's I jumped the gun and got me a new one. The value of my evo is not bad but a years worth of car payments would go down the drain. I still want a Tesla thou, must contain myself..... UGH...

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

The roll out will start from west to east coast but that doesn't mean they will deliver every west coast car first before moving east. The highest vin numbers in the east will still come out before the lower ones out west, but overall yes there will be some regional priority. The Model S and X were both ramped up in a similar fashion. The first Model Xs were delivered in CA, but there are now some in NYC while many are still waiting out west.

Also, by getting in line on the 31st, you will be guaranteed to be ahead of everyone who orders online in your region.

10. Swishh

Swishh Member

I wanna buy an electric car within 2 years. One that looks as nice, or close to a Tesla, just a little cheaper. 25-30k tops. Anything fit that description?

11. Swishh

Swishh Member

^ I know the new one will cost 35k. Looking for one between 25-30k tops. If one doesn't exist I'd probably just get the 35k Tesla.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

After federal tax credit, a base Model 3 will cost $27,500. Although, I'm not sure what it will look like yet. They are supposedly aiming for a drag coefficient of less than 0.2, which so far has only been achieved by cars looking like weird-mobiles. We will find out on the 31st.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Chevy Bolt?

14. Swishh

Swishh Member

Are you guaranteed to get the federal tax credit though? If so, then that sounds like an amazing price. The pre orders are $1000 and is refundable, correct? In that case, there is no risk associated with pre ordering it.

Thanks for the suggestion. Looked it up and I don't like the look of it, and it cost $32k, so I'd rather go for the tesla.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

You are not guaranteed the tax credit, it is likely to expire sometime in mid/late 2018. Which is the incentive to get a spot early in line 3/31. But yes the deposit is refundable so you could always cancel if it looks like your order date will miss the tax deadline.

Also the $30k for the Chevy Bolt is including the $7500 tax credit. (kind of shady that they quote that price)

An apples to apples comparison would be $35k for the Model 3 vs $37,500 for the Bolt. Both without the incentive.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

The problem with the Chevy Bolt, and many other pure battery electric cars from traditional OEMs is that they are uneconomical and held back due to high battery costs and perhaps the manufacturers own desire not to cannibalize it's traditional gasoline lineup.

A Chevy Bolt at $37500 is uncompetitive against any gasoline car in that price range when it comes to specs and amenities. It will only appeal to those considering an electric car for environmental purposes. It won't touch the mass market. Objectively, the Bolt's competition is other subcompacts like the Honda Fit or Kia Rio which sells for $15k.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If the Tesla Model 3 is anything like those, at $35k, it would be a huge failure and never reach the masses.

Fortunately, according to Tesla, the Model 3 is supposed to compete with the BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Mercedes C class etc., which all start above $30k. They are able to achieve this because they have the cheapest and most advanced battery tech in the industry, and they do not fear cannibalizing their own legacy gasoline car sales(they have none). This allows them to actually make an electric car with desirable styling and competitive economics.

The Model S overtook the Mercedes S class and BMW 7 series last year as the best selling luxury sedan in the US. If the Model 3 can replicate that success in the $30k market, it will be a massive success and start an industry shift towards EVs.

#56 CXbby, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I got the 90D about 6 weeks ago and I'm pretty happy with it. The all wheel drive is pretty awesome and the semi automated driving is very solid. I'm sure the model 3 when it comes out will be even better. Right now I use it most in stop and go highway traffic and it's amazing. I don't have to pay attention to the road, but the Tesla yells at me if I don't pay attention for a couple minutes. The seats are also much improved over the previous Tesla I had.

There are still some minor issues with the dashboard rattling a bit during highway driving. It was an issue with my first Tesla, but the service center fixed it. The other issue I have with Tesla is that their service center already has trouble keeping up with issues. If you have a problem you often have to follow up with them to get a call back and the wait time for service can be a couple weeks if the issue isn't major.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Am I the only one that thinks the Tesla's look bland and generic? Moreover, while I certainly appreciate the overall push it is having on the environment and world, it's just odd to see so many well-off caucasian males who previously couldn't give two ****s about the environment driving Teslas. I get the strategy and understand why its working, I just find it humorous.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Its not even an environmental thing now, as much as its a status symbol for most people that drive them. Not taking anything away from the people that do actually care for the environment but the first rollout was more of a "I got one and you dont" kind of thing.

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

Very nice robbie. Rumor is that Tesla will be equipped with gen 2 Mobileye hardware suite in the coming months, which would technically allow full autonomous drive once the software side catches up. Presumably the Model 3 would have this when it launches in 2 years.

I think most people buy it because it is a great car. The Model S is objectively the safest car on the road according to NHTSA. Has the performance capabilities of a million dollar supercar(or Six Flags rollercoaster ride). And offers the most advanced suite of semi-autonomous features available on the market.