1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone ever use Lowes/Home Depot contractors to install a fence?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

What does that mean, having them wrapped?

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

One wouldn't want the house to get pregnant.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If something is different and they have to change something. The prices they advertise are generally for identical hookups. Usually stuff you could probably do yourself easily, but don't know you can. Call around on your windows and get some estimates from other companies(Lowes usually has reasonable prices though). Hardwood flooring you will find cheaper elsewhere. Same goes for Tile. Carpet on the other hand is very cheap at Lowes/Home Depot.

4. juicystream

The credit can not be taken on the labor, so make sure you would only take 30% on the windows/doors, and they have to meet specific criteria(see energystar's website). Also know that the credit is non-refundable, which means you have to have a tax liability to claim the credit against.

5. AustinBriggs

AustinBriggs Member

I've gotten home depot to install a garage door... the best part being that they haul the old one off.

I swore to myself I wouldn't take the easy way out though, next time I would actually go directly to a local business so that the national brand wouldn't get a cut. All their contractors are just local tradesmen anyway that usually do their own business but just do it discounted through a big chain as work allows.

If you get someone that is insured/bonded then their work is guaranteed by a 3rd party anyway... you can always check them out as a contractor through the BBB.

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Obviously. I stated so. 30% on the windows. Just make sure they are .30 or less on both U-factor and SHGC.

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Aluminum trim on the exterior..covers brickmould or outside framed exterior...basically ensures it is maint. free and supports fill in after sash extraction. Do it!

8. juicystream

Most of my clients that have made improvements have assumed the credit includes labor, thats why I stated that. And many installers don't break out their invoices/receipts(which they should be anyways to accurately show sales tax). And there are people like me who would get no credit because I ate up my tax liability with the credit on my new heat pump. :eek:

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Finally went by Lowes today and couldn't get a straight answer out of them on a by-the-foot price. They wanted to send someone out to do an estimate...for a $35 fee. So I went across the street and the orange guys gave me a phone number to call. Haven't called it yet.

ROXRAN- is pricing still similar to what you mentioned in August of last year?

10. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

They are self-righteous, but trustworthy...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The fence they build may be too small for your liking.

1 person likes this.
  12. Xerobull

I laughed.

13. Xerobull

Tapping this up one last time. Thanks again for all of the advice earlier. I can't remember if I repped folks the first time around, but I'll do so for every person who posted later today.

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i put up about 40' of fence a couple weeks ago - it wasnt as difficult as i thought it would be. digging the fence posts was the biggest hassle, since i didnt rent an auger, but even that wasnt so bad - bought a post hole digger for $25 and did it myself.

timing was good as the city was doing their bulk garbage pickup so when the old fence fell down i just put it out at the curb and they hauled away all the lumber.

the total cost for all the wood, nails and quick-crete was about $225. if i paid someone it would have cost me about $600. me and a friend got it up in about 8 hours, and that was w/ neither of us really knowing what we were doing.

i spent 1 day taking down the old fence, another day at homedepot buying all the supplies and prepping the area and the 3rd day putting it up.

1 person likes this.
  15. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

A tornado took our fence last October...no..it literally took our back fence - I couldn't find the panels anywhere. I rebuilt the fence myself & it wasn't too bad. Digging the post holes is the hardest part if you buy the prebuilt fencing panels at Lowes or Home Depot. You can buy a prebuilt panel for around $35 bucks per 8ft piece. I built my entire back fence for half of what people wanted to charge me to build it.

1 person likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Repped everyone who has posted in this thread. Thanks again.

Re- pre-built sections- If this were a small job, I'd consider it. We aren't talking about 8 or 10 sections. We're talking about over 550 feet, which is 60+ 8-ft sections. It's a big job. I'm a huge DIYer, but honestly, I know when to hire someone, and this is it.

The fence will be stick-built, which means they put it up board by board. I don't know if you've looked at the pre-built sections, but they're not put together well. You can see them falling apart in a few years. Also, if I contract through one of the stores above, I can finance on my store CC for a year with no interest, get 10% off with the post office Lowes coupon (HD accepts it), and get the fence warrantied for a year. That means it will go through all of the cycles of the weather. If it's falling apart in 10 months, I'll have them rebuild it.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

One more thing - I'd get metal posts, if possible. I had a new fence put in a little over a year ago and the two things I looked for are metal posts and that they used screws instead of nails for the fence. It would take an F5 to bring this b*stard down now. :grin:

18. Xerobull

Ah yes, good point- that's a definite. Wind up here in DFW is nuts.

19. Xerobull

Had the Lowes guy out to give me a quote. Sounds promising.

Any creative ideas on what to do with 500 feet of old fence?

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I had a front door replaced by Lowes. The guy was a little rougher on removing the interior trim than I would have been (we reused it because it was custom trim). But overall, he did a good job and I'm still happy with the work.