1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone ever use Lowes/Home Depot contractors to install a fence?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I need about 22 panels of stockade fence put up. I can do it myself, but it's freaking hot as Hades outside.

Anyone ever buy the pre-constructed fence panels at Lowes or Home Depot then pay their contractors to put it in? I'm wondering what the labor cost would be. Since I'm buying the materials myself, I won't get gouged there.

2. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

See those brown people in the corner of the lot under the tree? They'll do it for 10 bucks plus lunch.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I was wondering about these contractors too, not for fencing, but other things they offer to install. What all do these stores offer installation for?

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure it's just about anything. I've always wondered if they're any good, as well.

1 person likes this.
  5. Xerobull

I considered that. But then I'd have to be out there providing direction. Might as well do it myself if that's the case.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think these guys are specifically Lowe's employees or anything, are they? I think they just call out to contractors on a list they have. They're all different contractors, so just because some people have had good or bad luck won't mean you'll get the same treatment. Maybe I'm wrong. I've heard mixed reviews about these contractors from Lowe's and Home Depot. Of course, I guess the plus would be that if they screw up, you have some place to go b**** about it. That, and they're backed up by money if they totally screw something up. For something as seemingly simple as this, I guess they couldn't screw up too bad.

1 person likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Any of you weekday guys do this?

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Let Lowes do it pre built. Labor and materials will be $13.85 per foot. There should no longer be hard dig charges. That is included, unless they use a jackhammer for rock. It is tax free, and guaranteed labor for 1 yr.

See your local Lowes' PSE for a fast free estimate... :grin:

1 person likes this.
  9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I'm leery for home depot / lowe's installs since they subcontract out. But this is just a fence. If the price is right for you, go for it.

1 person likes this.
  10. Xerobull

NICE!

So that's $1828 for 22 panels worth...I assume that's Pine. I'd like to go Cedar for looks and longevity. Do you have any idea of how much that is?

Does this include metal posts and cement, hardware, etc?

Does this include demo and haul away of old fencing?

Also, would they apply the 10% coupon you find in the Post Office moving packet?

Would this qualify as something I can finance 12 months interest free on their Lowes CC?

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Nearly everything. They installed my water heater. The problem is you get charged extra for any actual work they have to do.

I know they do:

Fencing
    Garbage Disposals
    Flooring
    Water Heaters
    Major appliances
    Cabinets
    Counters
    Doors
    Windows

1 person likes this.
  12. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

If I were you OP and I would do it myself if I could. Its not that hot out when you wait til its 6 or 7 in the evening. Do it yourself, break a sweat and save some money.

1 person likes this.
  13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: I am one of those "brown people", sir, and I resent this statement. We'll do it for a case of beer plus lunch. Get it right, man!

1 person likes this.
  14. ROXRAN

Actually (correction) it is stick built NOT pre-built. Cedar fencing would be with treated rails and posts. Haul away and rip out is $3.00 per foot. The bundled price for cedar of approx. 15.23 per foot includes everything. Gates are about $100 though additional off the top of my head. They will use the coupon...Installers are licensed and insured. They may do the 12 month no interest even if not actively promoting, but ask...

1 person likes this.
  15. ROXRAN

Doing it yourself stick built will save you $7.50 per foot btw. However think about your time. What that is worth and how hot it is...

16. Xerobull

Do you think it's worth it to have steel posts? I'm no expert on how cedar ages.

17. Lil Pun

I would not post you phone number on an Internet message board. Hopefully, one of the mods will remove it.

18. Lil Pun

What do you mean any actual work? The reason I am asking is because we need to have a door and window replaced and I'd really like to get the hardwood floor replaced eventually (estimates range from $1000-1800 just to get it repaired).

19. ROXRAN

For the looks, no..but you may request steel posts, though they may only have the chain-link kind of posts avail. I have seen them done by a DIY and it doesn't look great..

A wooden fence will give you 10-12 years. A vinyl fence will last longer but runs at least $22.00 per foot (labor and materials) for the least expensive type (The 6'x6' Brighton)..You never have to stain/paint just clean (pressure wash)...Also if you go with wood. pour UV protection such as Thompsons in a cheap pump sprayer and apply 2 months after fence is built.

20. ROXRAN

I can speak for windows...If you have wood existing expect $400-$450 for typical size combined labor and materials. Make sure to have windows wrapped (this is in the price figure)...If you have metal or vinyl, expect $440-$500 approx. due to extraction costs...If you get Pella get sundefense and it will stop the heat big-time.

remember this is the last year for the $1500 tax credit (it may not get repeated) calculated at 30% of window costs.