1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone ever throw their own tailgate party?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pgsxdjp, Sep 11, 2013.

1. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

I've always wanted to get some friends together and tailgate at the stadium. I know their are some big, serious tailgate crews and other corporate tailgates that would pretty much dwarf anything I could do but it would still be fun with some friends. Anyone have any advice or first hand experience? Things like lots, parking passes, tailgate tickets, etc.

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i believe if you don't have a game ticket you can't get into the lots. someone confirm.

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

You can purchase a tailgate ticket online. They changed everything after the drunks were fighting during that cowboys game in 2010.

4. droopy421

droopy421 Member

http://www.houstontexans.com/gameday/tailgating/policy.html

Gameday ticket or Tailgate Guest ticket... Apparently a season ticket holder can buy up to 10 guest tickets. Didn't that all start due to a cowboys/texans fight a few years back?

5. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

IIRC it began after the Cowboys/Texans game. It's a damn shame because that was the greatest Texans tailgate I'd ever been to. I remember getting free shots/beer/cigars?! Unfortunately, the Texans turned in a dud that game.

Ever since then, it's been downhill (still fun) but not the same.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

You have a typo. When you typed in drunks, I think you meant Mexicans.

2 people like this.
  7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

:grin: true

8. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

So what's proper tailgate etiquette for someone just browsing? Are tailgate hosts inviting, do you ask for some grub, is it rude to ask? On TV, it seems like one big party buffet. If you're a home team fan, grab a hot dog.

9. pd_

pd_ Member

tailgate tickets cost $10 a pop and are sold out from what ive been told. only place to find em now i guess is craigslist or nflexchange. not worth it if you gotta pay 50 each just to get into the lot and that doesn't even include parking. It's pretty fun though if you can get a bunch of people to go. Most other tailgates that are big usually dont care and will invite you for food and what not. When i did it, we had 20-30 people and others around joined us for drinking games and we shared food amongst the different tailgate groups

10. Mashing

Mashing Member

@pgsxdjp: The parking nightmare during the Dallas game was the reason they instituted the current policy. Not because of fighting in the parking lot. People who had PAYED for parking permits could find no where to park in their section. This was a huge problem and necessitated a change in policy.
    Sorry if that sucks for you, but as someone who does not always tailgate, I'd rather be guaranteed a parking spot you know.

11. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Anyone on here is more than welcome to come to my tailgate party. We are in the yellow lot.

Just a warning we are out of control rowdy

1 person likes this.
  12. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Sent you an email. We'll be in the yellow lot as well!

13. fredy

fredy Contributing Member

I have a blue lot parking pass. So are the parking people checking if everybody in the vehicle have tickets or tailgate passes when u first get in? Asking because I have some friends that don't have tickets but are wanting to come tailgate.

14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I've been Texans Tailgate Ambassador in Blue 21 since 2010. Anyone looking for a fun part time gig, check out Texans job opportunities in the off season. We get off at halftime and can go in the stadium to watch the game. Tailgate food followed by free admission to the game...not a bad way to spend a Sunday. Downside is getting there 6 hours before kickoff, which is 6am for all the noon kickoffs.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

In my living room, I don't live in Houston.

16. marks0223

Supporting Member

You may not necessarily get checked at the parking gate but 30 minutes after the game starts police officers and Tailgate Ambassadors visit each tailgate this is still going on to stub tailgate tickets and game tickets.

17. SK34

SK34 Member

This sounds interesting. So it's on the texans website or what? And we can only apply during the offseason?

18. marks0223

Supporting Member

Yes, their website: http://texans.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/

Scroll to the bottom, Tailgate Ambassador would be under "Event/Game Day Staff." It's not open now so there's no current openings.

19. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Thanks for the info and the interesting blip about tailgate ambassadors.

For anyone interested, there are still tailgate tickets available for the Jacksonville game on Nov 24. Typically the tailgate tickets go on sale before the season starts, and season ticket holders are notified. As most of yall know, they are all but sold out and we haven't had our home opener. You can also purchase a tailgate ticket package (one for each game) at a discounted rate.

20. The Law

The Law Member

We are in the Orange lot on the northwest corner closest to the Astrodome and Reliant Center if anyone wants to stop by. We start making breakfast as gates open and will have BBQ around 10:50. Just got done making 350 Jell-O shots for Sunday.

Reining HEB Tailgater of the Year!