1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone ever been to or lived in Monterrey Mexico?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rox_fan_here, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Hey guys. Serious question. It looks like I will be headed to Monterrey for a while. I know how bad things are right now with the violence, I get security updates daily on the latest shootings, massacres, and violent crimes between drug gangs so I know what I am getting into. Despite all of this I am not worried and thankfully Americans are not being targeted. It is a matter of wrong place wrong time and not putting yourself in stupid situations.

Considering that I may be there for a few years, I wanted to know from those who have personal experience how is the city? Recommendations? Being an eternal optimist, I am pretty excited and would love to get some advice from those who know the city first hand.

Thanks in advance.

2. 713

713 Member

stay strap bruh

3. LAFIRMA22

LAFIRMA22 Member

Can u add me to your will?

1 person likes this.
  4. VanityHalfBlack

Monterrey Mexico is the new Connecticut, you'll be safe bruh...

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I have some friends that lived there and for the most part it's not seen as a cartel hub. It's a major manufacting/business city. Lots to do and a great Soccer club. Not saying there isn't violence but most of the horror stories are from border towns that live off of drug traffic.

1 person likes this.
  6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I've spent a lot of time there, mainly in San Pedro. Of course, I am surrounded by locals when I'm there and sometimes security. Los Zetas are a little bit scary, I guess you could say. Just avoid attracting attention and you'll probably be fine. Monterrey is a beautiful place.

1 person likes this.
  7. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I've been several times...

It's a beautiful city, lots of nightlife, lots of scenery. Lots of great food.

For bars, there's the Centrito. Kind of a 6th street feel. Also a few breweries in one little area - Carta Blanca, Indio...

Outdoorsy stuff: great rock climbing, a cool lake just to the south (Gomez?). Sierra Madre is everywhere you go. So are Sierra La Silla and Topo Chico - it's a beautiful backdrop.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Monterrey isn't so bad, just be extra nice to everyone because you never know what kind of ties they might have. I went a few years ago, ate a hot dog and a churro and got Hepatitis A...I almost died....true story...don't eat anything off the street and good luck.

1 person likes this.
  9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

If you can tour the mountains, do that its pretty fun. Not sure how close it is to Monterrey but Cola de Caballo is the one I hiked when I was younger. There is also a a water resort named Bahia Escondida with water slides, wave pools, regular pools etc.

As far as the danger of it all I can say is just lay low and like another poster said don't attract too much attention to yourself.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rox_fan_here

That's where I am going to be staying. I heard that the district is beautiful and that everyone has a lot of wealth within.

11. Rox_fan_here

Wow, as a self proclaimed foodie, always eager to try what the "locals" eat, this information is scarier than the violence. Thanks for the warning. Any restaurants you recommend?

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

Just remember Que pedo punalito means how is it going friend.

1 person likes this.
  13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My best friend was born there. Says there's no way in hell he'd go back right now, even with family there.

14. tomato

tomato Member

Ay caramba!

15. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Cola de caballo was awesome when I WAs a kid.