1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone ever been to Jamaica?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketRick, Jun 11, 2010.

1. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

My wife and I are going at the end of this month till July 7. Anyone have any good recommendations on where to eat, what to do and where to go? Do they have lobster to eat at this time of year?

2. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

Da Place is AWEsome Mon!

1 person likes this.
  3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

It's a big island. Where specifically are you going? Ocho Rios, Montego, Negril? You may want to avoid Kingston right now.

4. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

Negril is the best...

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

you HAVE to do Dunn's River, if you don't mind climbing up the historic waterfull, place is freaking beautiful, here are a few of my pics when i went last Sep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and just because I like to represent the best team in the world, worldwide :)

[​IMG]

lobster should be in season, we were able to eat at a restaurant name Sharkies that was near the beach, got like 6 lobsters with veggies for like $60

[​IMG]

just like in any other countries, watch out for the ones that take advantages of tourist

are you going there by cruise? or just flying in?

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

That bus ride is an experience to say the least to ultra rios. When i go now, i just stay in monteego bay.

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Hold on to your wallet/purse tight. We stopped in Jamaica while I was on a cruise a few years ago. It's beautiful, but a little scary. I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed. Went a couple years back and Dunn's River was a really great experience. With that said, my only recommendation is to stay within the tourist areas as much as possible. Jamaica is a beautiful place but can also be very dangerous.

9. SunsRocketsfan

yup i went there about 2 years ago and also did dunns river falls.. it was definitely a fun experience. I wouldnt say its the most gorgeous place I've been though or anywhere near that but it was still a great time

10. AB423

AB423 Member

I went in January, we stopped their for a cruise. I gotta admit, that place is pretty scary. But its pretty though. Lots of beggars so be prepared for that. Me and a whole bunch of friends were taken on a bus to this place that do rafting and my friends got scared cause they thought the Jamacians were trying to take our money lol. And we seen people walking around with machetes lol. But other then that, its nice. We were all drinking and smoking a joint rafting down the river.

11. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

We are actually going to Negril, staying at the Riu.

12. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Thanks for the information and yes I heard that Dunn's is great. We are flying in via Continental, First Class baby! We are landing on a Wednesday at 12:30 PM. Is the line for customs long when you landed?

I just booked our trip next year to Rio de Janeiro as well. Can't wait for that.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Enjoy the drive from the airport. Whether they take the mountain route or the coastal route, it's an adventure.

My wife and I went in 2001 to Sandals in Negril. We never actually left the resort. Had all the drinks, eats, and greenery we needed. I barely remembered my name by the time I got home.

14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Rough place, but pretty. Stayed in Ocho Rios, did the waterfall thing, hung out on pretty beaches, and ate a ridiculous amount of jerk chicken, washed down with Red Stripe. Good times.

Bus rides are the cheapest thrills on the island. Be prepared for a never-ending stream of folks hassling you for money.

15. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Its like an hour and half ride, right? A van is picking us up as part of our package not the bus. Heard they drive crazy there.

16. YaosDirtyStache

You are goin for the vacation...she is going to get her groove back.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

Stay out of Kingston, and son't give to the beggars or they'll never leave you alone.

18. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Haha.. We are going for our honeymoon. Sort of a late honeymoon since we married in April.

19. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

You know if you say BEER CAN, with a British accent, it sounds like BACON in Jamaican.

20. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Yeah, I heard about the Coke guy they were after and the shootings in Kingston. I spoke to people who went recently and its almost a 4 hour drive from Kingston to Negril. They didn't even know anything like that was going on. Too bad I can't bring my AK...