1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone else stoked for the draft lottery?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pr0wler, Feb 21, 2024.

1. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Okay so the fact we have to giveaway our 2024 Top 4 protected pick from like 4 years ago, in a horrendous trade that made no sense, is a bit frustrating. But the James Harden BKN trade was a HUGE win. Remember everyone was laughing at is at the mediocre return we got for a 31 year old Harden? Now the Nets are a mess and have to giveaway their pick to us this year, which has a 26%+ chance of being Top 4 atm.

What I'm most excited about its that we have TWO kicks at the can for a Top 4 pick. Between ours and BKN's pick, we have a 40% chance at landing at least 1 Top 4 pick this year. That's not bad at all.

That Harden to Brooklyn trade really salvaged our draft equity and now if we average out the two trades it's an overall positive at the very least imo.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not stoked but at least something.

I still view it as competition first and draft second.

You cannot draft structure, thank the lord we have someone like Udoka.

I really wished we can draft coaches and GMs .....that would be something.

3. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

I get on Tankathon 2-3 times a day to press the simulate lottery button until we get 2 top 4 picks. Helps me recover from reading all the negative threads.

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Go Rockets!!!

fryjol7 and jch1911 like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

jch1911 likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Stoked that we have a pick coming to us without needing to care about our own. In fact at the time of the trade I was very happy that we're giving up our own picks and getting someone else's. It takes away the option of the team tanking infinitely. A lot of teams mismanage the development of their picks and bandaid the situation by tanking forever.

To be able to add a top 10 pick to this impressive squad is such a huge luxury. I don't even care if we keep it or trade it, but I'm excited for what it means for next season.

roslolian, Xerobull and pr0wler like this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Our yearly tradition

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Posted 7/2/23 in "End of Season Predictions" thread:

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

8. Reed Sheppard.

robbie380 likes this.
  10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Sheppard looks like a throwback player honestly. Like a mid 90s shooting guard.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

SARR OR ULRICH OR BUST

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I wouldn’t say “stoked”. Unlike others I’m not optimistic Brooklyn falls further over the last 20 or so games. Sometimes a coaching change can actually energize teams. We’ll see. I see the rockets and Brooklyn both ending up with like a 27% chance for a top 4 pick. I’m also frankly tired of rookies. I’m just tired. Maybe it’s because we’ve been playing such bad basketball with youngsters for a few seasons now. But I’m sure I’ll get more excited closer to the draft. Regardless, we need to hit on whatever pick we get. With Jalen tanking his value and Tari’s mystery injury we need another ace up our sleeve.

#12 Aruba77, Feb 22, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    Invisible Fan likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No rookie from this draft is going to have a significant impact next year. If we can trade picks and/or players this should be the year to do it. I wouldn’t trade them just to trade them though. If we can’t make a slash then just take bpa and let them grow from the back of the bench

REEKO_HTOWN and Aruba77 like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, trade the picks for NBA talent.

DD

15. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am still intrigued because, even though it’s unlikely, it’s still possible that we could come out of the lottery with picks #4 and #8 and that is some serious firepower in a trade. Which brings me to this question: If we want to make a trade on draft day with our picks and need to include Tate, Jock, etc. for salary matching, will we have to wait to consummate that trade or can we do it then and there? Just wondering if since we would be picking up an option on them, does that mean they can’t be moved until August or October or January?

Bo6 likes this.
  16. MystikArkitect

The Summer League performance of whoever we draft this year is going to have a Donte Greene level of impact.

fryjol7 likes this.
  17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'd be more stoked if our pick was in the playoffs instead of the lottery.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hopefully shooting 39-40%.

19. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

This is a weak draft class coming up by most accounts. Not too stoked.

20. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Well, if odds are we can come out with someone like Artest, then we should be stoked.