1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone else shave their head for the "summer cut?"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LonghornFan, May 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I've always been a vain m'fer when it comes to my hair, as it's thick, I'm in my 30's and not losing any. I finally got sick of the products like gel, taking time to fix it in the mornings and my head just always felt hot.

So I shaved it. Not like a 1 or a 2, but with just the blade of the electric razor...and I LOVE IT! Jump in the shower, out, ready to go to work!

Only thing is, I went out for a bit Saturday evening, and some dude came up to me at a bar and asked me if I was a "Wood". I didn't even know how to answer or what that meant, so I just said "prolly not tonight, you know whiskey dick and all, but most likely in the morning." He kinda laughed, but then asked to see my tats. I totally thought I was being mazyar'd.

I finally found out that he was asking if I was a Peckerwood, some racist gang in prison. :eek: So because I have a shaved head and tats that show, does that really make me look like a racist? I wear very nice dress clothes to work and nada really happens then, but when I'm out out and about though during the evenings with any color showing I notice I'm getting a lot of bad stares.

I have a lot of German/Indian in me which makes my skin naturally tan, and my hair is super dark brown and I also sport a kinda long goatee, top shaved not the bottom. I'm not a blonde, blue eyed Caucasian young man.

I really just want to know if this look is a "racist" look to some people or something. It's mostly Hispanic's who are giving me the evil eye, I don't hate, and I don't want to be shanked.

I can grow the hair back pretty fast, but some people are very ignorant and waaay to quick to judge. I'm probably gonna have to take up Karate.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I do it year-round now, I used to only do it for the summer because I played ball. But, it just feels really good in the winter when the wind goes through your hair.

3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Haha! I just shaved my head today, first time in my life. Love the cool breeze by the ears, but people think I'm a "thug" now :(

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Me too

5. LonghornFan

Yeah, I don't get this. I have a college education, great job, and I see people with shaved heads all the time and never thought anything of it. Plus I'm not a kid, although I do still get ID'd for beer sometimes which is pretty rad.

Mebbe I'm just being paranoid, only thing is my fiance noticed the stares as well but LOVES petting my head now. I'm kind of a big fan of that. I'm also very thankful I have a perfectly shaped, round head. I was scared I was gonna have one of those square heads or something and regret it.

Did not happen. Pretty relieved.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

If i was to go bald, I would look so pastey. I am in need of a haircut real bad.

7. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I'd just like to point out that pretty much every prison gang is racist.

The whites go with the whites, the blacks with the blacks, the hispanics with the hispanics. At least that's how it is in Texas prisons.

8. LonghornFan

Yeah, I watch Gangland too. Just never been asked if I was a "Wood". I guess I missed that one.

9. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Hahaha...just don't get any tatoos of lightning bolts or eagles. :grin:

10. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

I have to say that if I see a bald dude with tats I wouldn't assume he was a gang member/racist, but I wouldn't be surprised either. Bonus racist points if you're in good shape!

11. luisantonio1014

I've spent the last three summers with my usual hair style and I've gotten tired of it! I'm definitely getting a buzz cut cause my hair is also thick, and the humidity just makes it worse!

12. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

I am def into buzz cuts , mine is almost less than a 1 . Also it probably has to with me losing hair ....... lol

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

1 on the side and 4 on top for me

14. Omer

Omer Member

Didn't shave it but I just got one of the shortest haircuts of my life two days ago and it feels nice.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm thinking about getting it cut really short. Since I started going to school in colorado, I've been keeping it a little longer as well as growing out the beard during the winters. But I think it might feel nice to cut it all off for the summer back in Houston

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I always keep the 1 blade all the way around... Great for basketball...

17. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I used clippers for 3 years, it changed the way my hair grew. It used to be real wavy/curly, and when I try to grow it out now, it's a stringy mess that is neither straight nor curly.

Saves you some cash though.

18. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Shaving makes it too itchy and prickly. I just keep it trimmed.

19. luisantonio1014

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Great Thread.

I've always gone for a #2, but during the summer I go for a #1. Now, my neighbor has a shaved head and I have discussed going skinhead with him, and I must say, I think I will try it this summer.

With my beard, the way it's been grown out for the past 2 months, I think it would looking pretty rad.