1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone else happy for Lowry and Dragic?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shortfuse3, Jan 30, 2014.

1. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

I wasnt the first one to bring up Lins name..it was long time Rox fans pining for these guys, with Lin references for the first few pages before I decided to comment

and, yes I dont feel anything for these players because... Rox could not give them what they wanted so they left..

If I was Lin I would be pulling a Asik sulk... before Harden comes back and Lin goes back to sucking it up playing SG again bricking 3's

2. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I remember there was a big debate over who was better, Lowry or Dragic. Lowry was unquestionably the MVP of this team and getting all star considerations in the first half of the season, then he got hurt and Dragic played even better than Lowry for a stretch of 20 games. However Dragic wasn't invincible. He deferred too much when Lowry came back which caused that epic collapse in the final ten games when we had a 94% chance to make the playoffs.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes I understand this a vicarious reasoning.

I'm not trying to convince you why Rocket fans are happy for Dragic and Lowry.

I just want to converse amongst Rockets fans.

4. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

okay ill leave you to talk with long time Rox fans...

let you be happy for former guards who get to play Point Guard for their new teams

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Both players are doing great with their current teams. I wish Dragic would have stayed though.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

it is indeed ironic that the two PGs we let walk are both better than either PG we have on our roster, and neither makes more than Jeremy Lin.

Lowry helped net us Harden so no regrets there, but letting Dragic walk appears to be a mistake. We'll see though ...if we end up with a max free agent in 2015 free agency because we didn't cave on the extra year player option, the decision to let Dragic walk will have been a good one.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Blah blah blah, again endless of excuses for why Lin isn't performing.

And no Lin isn't playing out of position, he has always been known for his ability to penetrate and score, plus he has improved drastically on his three point shot this season, so you can't make that stupid argument of standing in the corner bs.

Hey get this, everyone on the team past or present gets compared with each other, it's what fans do. I can say Aaron Brooks was **** compared to Kyle Lowry while they were playing, I can also say Budinger was ass compared to Parsons, or how much of a upgrade Aaron Brooks was from Rafer Alston, I can also say Dwight Howard will never be the player a healthy Yao was etc.

Just because Lin has delusional fans like you, doesn't make him immune to criticisms and comparison to past players. Just because you don't like the fact that 99% of the NBA agrees that Lowry and Dragic at the moment are both performing better than Lin, doesn't mean we will stop talking about them.

8. Fighton

Fighton Member

so you'd give him that 4th year option and have that eat into your cap for the chance to land an all-star in 2015 free agency?

help me understand here, because the issue wasn't about money; it was about that 4th year player option in 2015. if you gave that option to dragic, you're limiting your ability to acquire players going into the huge 2015 free agency. so you're ok with a player of dragic's caliber preventing you from going after all-star free agents? lin's contract will be up in 2015 so you don't have to worry about him eating into the cap. so will asik if he's not traded by then.

2015 has always been a huge target acquisition year for the rockets even before they landed harden and howard. remember, harden was totally unexpected. we didn't go after him in free agency, he was traded to us! howard didn't want to come before so no reason to think he would change his mind. at the time of lin and asik's signing, it was painfully obvious that they were signed as a gamble to see if they would pan out in a three year window. they weren't signed as cornerstones of the franchise - there was a possibility they could be, but it was a gamble. and back then, that was fine, since the target has always been 2015 and as long as they don't jeopardize it, that's fine. if they pan out, great, sign them in 2015 with longer term contracts to lock them in as key pieces to the team. if not, not harm.

even today, if morey could trade lin for dragic straight up, i don't think he would do it. he'll still be stuck with dragic's contract in 2015 preventing him from going after a big money player. and honestly, with the need for harden, howard, and parsons to get their touches on this team, having dragic wouldn't make that much of a difference. it will most likely be the same situation as lin, come in off the bench to maximize his abilities while shoring up bench scoring.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

As Morey said, you have to give something up in order to get something. GMs don't just take trash in return for great assets.

For Lowry we got Harden.

For Dragic we got flexibility at the 2015 trade deadline and free agency, which may net us Kevin Love.

10. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I bet your passive aggressive behavior works great irl

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh yeah, Lowry and Dragic were here a LONG LONG TIME AGO.

Sorry 'Pre-Lin' <> long time ago

12. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

he is still standing in the corner...shooting 3s which is his worst shot by far...
    and that is a good majority of the games

Lin is not good enough player to play off the ball... he needs the ball in his hands and needs picks/screens to be set for him...

if anything I think the delusional ones are the ones who expect Lin to put up better numbers when he plays off the ball so much, out of his normal position and waiting to do what he does worse shoot 3's

I will argue if you had put Lin on the bench with Asik and given them enough minutes to do some PnRs... Asik, and DMO would not be asking for a trade and this team would be winning even more games...with less injuries

instead yes Lin still gets around 30 minutes... but its 30 minutes still playing mostly SG with mostly starters

id rather you give him 20 minutes off the bench with the 2nd unit...

the way I see it the starters are played too many minutes and you are creating another Melo, Tmac type player with Harden

13. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

well thats the distinction isnt it?

new Rockets fans from 2012 onwards are not real Rocket fans

14. rokit

rokit Member

He would be a nobody without Houston, McHale loved him so he and his agent (McHales BFF) became greedy. Thank God for Morey.

15. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Excellent points. I agree with Moreys decision on not wanting to jeopardize 2015. It's not like Dragic was a sure thing either, and he still isn't. The only PG he'd keep is Chris Paul, Irving, or Lillard. Then again Dragic could explode again next season.

16. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

thats why Lin and Asik's Contracts are set to expire in 2015

but they signed Harden to a long term deal...

I get it...

and I get why Lin was relegated to mostly corner 3s and the bench this year

he is not in any longterm plans for the Rox since day 1

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Okay can we stop with this whole evil Rockets vs Justice League: Lin.

18. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

Usage Percentage; an estimate of the percentage of team plays used by a player while he was on the floor

Jeremy Lin:
    2012-13 HOU 20.8 USG%
    2013-14 HOU 20.2 USG%

Kyle Lowry:
    2012-13 TOR 20.3 USG%
    2013-14 TOR 20.6 USG%

gtfo of this thread

Since when are Kevin McHale and Rade Filipović bets buds? Hilarious.

1 person likes this.
  19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Rockets fans that join at ANY time are Rockets fans.

People who complain constantly about a certain player who happens to play for the Rockets, no matter WHEN they join, are not Rockets fans.

If the Rockets win their next game and Jeremy Lin has 0 points, would you be happy? If you won't be, then you are not a Rockets fan.

1 person likes this.
  20. Play07

Play07 Member

I like dragic hes solid, has a high bball IQ, and has good handles, his defense is below average.

but where was all this talk last year when the suns were a bottom team in the west before they got a new head coach ? and what happened the year before that when the rockets had a 94% chance to make the playoffs but couldnt buy a game at the end of the season when we needed them ? I was at all those games down the Stretch and it was a HUGE disappointment,I remember ESPN even gave us a game on TV because of the hype and every fan had a red rockets shirt in their seat so we could rep on tv, we had playoffs in the bag and idnt get done.

If he wouldve got us in the playoffs im sure morey & less wouldve took his player option without thinking twice. But we didnt make the playoffs, les saw what another guard was doing leading his team to wins that lead them to the playoffs and wanted him.

You can blame it on lowry coming back and wanting the ball but its people here want him in a rockets jersey now too, james wants the ball here also and we have howard needing it here also.

Dragic is has a great season shooting 15 shots per game being the main guy with the ball on the floor with no post players. you can watch those suns games and get excited all you want but understand his primary ball handler and shooting 15 shots per game "last night 22" will not happen here.