1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone else concerned we couldn't pull away and blow them out in Game 5?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by andyacecandy, May 1, 2014.

1. andyacecandy

andyacecandy Member

When we got up 51-34, I thought for sure this was going to be a rout. Then suddenly, it's a 3 point game again!

With everything on the line for us, we played some of our best ball (relative to the rest of this series anyway) and it was still barely enough (that 10 point win is very misleading if you watched the entire game). We had to hit some clutch shots down the stretch to seal this one.

As a Houston fan, I'm scared of game 6 as much as anyone else. If Portland were to ever get up by 17+ like we did, I don't think we'd have it in us for a comeback...

I wish Dwight would dish the ball out sometimes. He needs to do a better job at identifying the double team and swing the ball out. Maybe that would get Harden a little more interested? ;)

2. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

not really

weve had multiple 10+ point leads this series and have been choking them away....its become a thing

4. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

Isn't this the story the whole series so far? IIRC we had a double digit lead in at least 4 games if not all 5 games.

I was worried the last 5 minutes but winning by 10 points is the biggest winning margin this series. Keep it going in game 6!

5. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

tbh with all the O/T's, road wins, and questionable officiating.. it appears the NBA's is trying to stretch the number of playoff games. Seems like anytime there is a sizable lead.. come the calls or non-calls that swing momentum 180.

1 person likes this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Really, it's just harden I'm concerned with, and I've become mighty concerned.

I actually think the rest of the team is playing extremely well. If Harden plays anywhere near the level we've come to expect we probably would have swept this series, 5 games tops.

It's a superstar driven league and unless Harden comes to the table we aren't going anywhere.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

We won by ten and we won.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Portland is the greatest 3 point shooting team ever.

9. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Portland has won 3 games to our 2, and not once have they've blown us out.

10. torocan

torocan Member

One thing at a time.

The Biggest concern this series has been our ability to keep a lead. We pretty much kept the lead in Game 5. That's a big thing.

Pulling away is a much lower priority...

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Harden was terrible. Don't expect us to route the other team unless he really steps up.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Evenly matched teams. OT in multiple games. Should be no surprise that neither team has blown out the other. Should it concern Portland fans that they're trying to close out a team that they haven't decisively beat in any game?

13. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

We could have pushed the lead into the 20s. There was a time when neither team could score - and that was right when we had the biggest leads. We couldn't capitalize on it at the time and ran bad sets that lead to missed shots or turnovers. Have to calm down in those moments and run good sets and not settle for 3s.

14. txtodd

txtodd Member

"Give Portland some freaking credit." -Phil

Lillard and Matthews were amazing, Batum and Lopez were real solid.

Team's just too good to really bury.

15. Nook

Nook Member

How many blow outs have you seen in the playoffs this season? For whatever reason, virtually every game is close. When a team does get a big lead (Grizzlies, Raptors, Rockets, Warriors) typically they don't hold their lead.

While a 20 point win would be great, I don't expect it.

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

No not concerned. I think there is a chance that Game 6 will be the game that we build a good sized lead and keep it.

The team is coming together and if we can win this series, watch out.

If Harden regains his confidence the Rockets move on.

17. coffeelover665

Yeah Harden is hurting the team right now and he needs to step it up. Whenever your shot attempts and defensive possession can be given to someone else and the team come up VERY POSITIVE, you need to work on your game.

18. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

it concerns me. the problem IMO is that once we get a big lead, we don't have very good defenders to protect/maintain the lead. So the lead disappears after our players let up on the pedal. hopefully we can get a couple good defenders in the offseason.

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

It's hard for a car to go fast and pull way with a flat tire. The Rockets have played the entire series with a flat tire. Somehow we need to inflate James Harden.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Portland is a good team and this is a hellaciously competitive series.

The Blazers haven't won a playoff series since 2000.

You think they're hungry enough?