1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone applied for unemployment?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDream, Oct 15, 2009.

1. DaDream

DaDream Member

I am getting laid off my job come Dec. 4th. I have not found another job that is within reasonable distance from my house. I already drive like an hour one-way. Anyway I was thinking about after that date attempting to start my own business. But that might take a little bit and I was thinking about applying for unemployment in the meantime.
    Anybody apply for unemployment before? Do you get a % of what you were making? Is it easy? ........etc

thanks....

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There is a max that you can get based on what you were making previously. Last time I was on it, it was $325/week. That was before the crisis (2004) so I'm not sure if that's gone up or not. Make sure you keep track of your job search. You file weekly over the phone, but they could audit you at any time.

You can do pretty much everything online. It's pretty easy. As long as you're leaving on good terms, you should have no problem getting unemployment from the time of your last paycheck.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its pretty easy. Just go online and fill it out. The most you can get is 1600 a month even if you made like a 100k.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I was laid off recently too. I put my claim in on friday. It was pretty easy.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

How many months can you keep getting the checks?

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Man, I am sorry for all of you that have lost your jobs especially with the holidays coming up shortly. I wish you good luck on finding something new and potentially better. :)

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Don't they cap it at 6 months?

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

That is what it said when I filled it out.

9. Air Langhi

I think it is 59 or 79 weeks. I am not sure. Also you have to apply for it every week. If you forget to apply for it for any week then they cut you off and its pain to get it back.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing in terms of fulfilling the "work search requirements"

It says something about doing 3 work search activities per week.

Is there a way I can half-ass it?

11. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I feel like I'm in the same boat potentially so this thread is "great". We just got a new contract that says basically I can take a 40% pay cut in January and "make the rest back in bonus incentives" or get "work completed".

On the bright side, this kind of forces my hand. Although I'm good at it, I don't particularly enjoy the work itself, so I might as well be a teacher, take a pay cut, but at least have a great schedule to allow for outside interests. I want to go back to school for either Colonial American history or take the dive and do theatre, but in this economy, it seems like a bad move to pursue something that has no guaranteed return.

The last couple years have been a very unique time to be coming out of college. I shouldnt complain, I know a lot of other people who have a it a lot worse with student loans and cant even find jobs. I definitely didnt imagine myself in a cubicle. Thats fo sho.

12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'm still unemployed since July. No work for Print Production Managers to be found so I'm still drawing unemployment and doing freelance design to make ends meet.

13. leroy

Sending in your resume is considered a "work search". The requirement used to be 5 per week. To be safe, keep a record of your "searches" in case they decide to audit you at some future point. They can also require you to come in to the center for a class on searching for a job. If you fail to go in, you can lose your benefits.

14. DaDream

DaDream Member

Do you have to show them filled out applications or something? How do you show proof of online applications?

How would they know if you were applying and also working at the same time (say a part time job)? just curious

15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

write down which sitesdates/jobs you've applied to

the employer's or agency's confirmation/reply email that they received your app/resume

also when you email out your app/resume you can show your sent box

I heard it will be extended to be more than 6 months

16. leroy

To be clear, it's 6 months in a 12 month period. If you go on unemployment for 2 months, get a job, and then lose it again, you only have 4 months worth left from the time you initially started getting benefits in that 12 month period.

That's assuming it has been or will be extended...

17. DaDream

DaDream Member

can you not apply until you are actually out of a job?
    for instance, I know my job ends on Dec. 4th. Should I apply before that date or do I have to wait til the 5th?

18. Air Langhi

You have to wait they will send you a letter usually 2 weeks after losing it.

19. leroy

Not true. You can apply the day you are let go. If you're getting a severance package, however, you won't start receiving benefits until that is over with. They won't pay if you you're still getting paid.

20. leroy

Wait until then. If you do it now, it will only screw things up.