1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody trying new recipes during this pandemic?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by donkeypunch, Mar 30, 2020.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Was wondering if anybody has unlocked their inner chef during this time? I just ventured into making a potato soup, in a hypothetical preparation if **** ever really hits the fan. Its simple, cheap, filling and delicious. Great recipe to know since ingredients are everyday items and plentiful.

Anybody experimenting with new stuff?

ico4498, deb4rockets and malakas like this.
  2. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’m going to try and make some boudin.

Working with restaurants I’m always experimenting from what I’ve seen traveling the country for work over the years. But boudin is one thing I haven’t tried to make.

3. Asian Sensation

Makes thread about recipe. Talks about said simple, cheap, filling and delicious recipe. Doesn’t share the recipe. I just bought a bunch of potatoes when I was at the grocery as well.

[​IMG]

ico4498, mikol13, Blake and 3 others like this.
  4. donkeypunch

Well, the title is a question. It doesnt state- try this recipe I just made. I just shared what I ventured into. The question is if you did or not too.

Crisp up 6 pieces of chopped bacon.
    Take out bacon pieces
    Add butter
    Saute a large chopped yellow onion til tender
    Add 1/4 cup flour
    add in 2-3 lbs chopped potatoes(1 inch), salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese(optional), 4 cups milk, 4 cups chicken broth
    Boil 10-13 mins til potatoes are tender
    Mash some(half) of the potatoes or use a immersion blender
    Serve with sprinkled bacon bits and shredded cheddar.

Google is a powerful tool. You should use it sometime. It is now available to the public for FREE during this pandemic.

#4 donkeypunch, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. donkeypunch

Nice. You gonna use real casings? Smoke them? Im too lazy, Id just stop at the dirty rice and eat that.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Not trying new recipes, but I'm going to wear out my grill. The smoke from a thick ribeye on the coals and our 75 pound four legged beast will ward off any virus lurking in our backyard. I'm even grilling my S.O.'s "Beyond Burgers." She's a vegetarian, but used to scarf down BBQ. She says it makes a huge difference with how the artificial meat tastes. I feel weird even typing "artificial meat." What is the world coming to?

I don't have a problem with not eating meat at all. One of our kids is vegetarian, the other is like me, an omnivore. What freaked me out was trying one of the really good "fake burgers" off the grill and discovering that it actually does taste a lot like a real burger. If science can come up with some strange concoction out of a test tube that resembles hamburger, surely they can find a cure for this damn virus!

ico4498, mikol13, Mazulis and 5 others like this.
  7. CCorn

CCorn Member

If I can find them, if not I’ll just make patties. Maybe throw some ghost pepper in them.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Saw this on tv over the weekend, once I'm done with the fajitas I cooked last night I'll try this:

Oaxacan Green Mole with Chicken

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and halved
    Kosher salt and ground black pepper
    7 6-inch corn tortillas
    1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
    4 medium garlic cloves, peeled
    2 medium tomatillos, husked and halved
    2 serrano peppers, halved lengthwise
    1 poblano chili, stemmed, seeded and quartered lengthwise
    1 small white onion, root end intact, quartered lengthwise
    1 bunch cilantro, leaves and tender stems
    1 cup lightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1/3 cup loosely packed fresh mint
    1 teaspoon fennel seeds
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    8 ounces small Yukon Gold potatoes (1 to 1½ inches in diameter), halved
    6 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 medium yellow zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 2 cups)

Season the chicken with salt and pepper.

In a large pot over medium-high, combine the tortillas and broth, then bring to a boil. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tortillas (they will have softened) to a blender, add ¼ cup water and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.

Pour the puree into the boiling broth and stir to combine; rinse out the blender and reserve.

Add the chicken to the pot, cover and reduce to low. Cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat as needed to maintain a gentle simmer, until a skewer inserted into the chicken meets just a little resistance, 30 to 35 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the broiler with a rack about 4 inches from the element. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.

Arrange the garlic, tomatillos, serranos, poblano chili and onion in an even layer on the baking sheet. Broil until the vegetables are lightly charred, about 4 minutes, then flip them and continue to broil until the second sides are lightly charred, 3 to 5 minutes.

Let cool for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a blender.

Add ½ cup water to the blend, then puree until smooth, about 30 seconds.

Add the cilantro, parsley, mint, fennel, cumin, 2 teaspoons salt and ¾ teaspoon pepper. Blend until smooth and bright green, about 2 minutes, scraping the sides as needed. You should have about 2 cups of puree; set aside.

When the chicken is ready, stir the potatoes, green beans and zucchini into the pot. Bring to a simmer over medium and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the skewer inserted into a potato meets no resistance, about 15 minutes. Stir in the puree, then taste and season with salt and pepper.

Yeah, I just ran out of the good stuff from Billy's, was going to try this recipe. I've cooked some of his stuff before and it was good:

https://www.wwltv.com/article/life/...-with-chef-kevin-fried-boudin-balls/460934174

Rashmon, adoo, Mazulis and 2 others like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

I dusted off the slow cooker recently

saw this on Instagram...I’m gonna try and make it this weekend

Rashmon and Killatron 2000 like this.
  10. Asian Sensation

Sounds delicious. As it should. That’s a lot of ingredients and steps for just me though even with this downtime.

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Smoked two racks of baby back ribs using Johnny Trigg’s candy rib recipe. Outstanding.

Here’s my fajita recipe which a Mexican cook in south Texas taught me

flank steak
    Jaccard the steak on both sides to tenderize.
    Season one side with Fiesta brand mesquite fajita seasoning
    Put meat in gallon ziplock bag and fill with regular (not zesty) Italian dressing overnight
    Pull meat from bag, season both sides with same Fiesta seasoning
    Warm grill and right before putting the meat on, season the grates with a half cut onion and then cook to medium

delicious

R0ckets03 likes this.
  14. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Tried this out today

Mazulis likes this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I've been dipping my balls in everything.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

Have good tea drink recipe, should up-ease caught:
    1/2 mid size ginger root (fresh ground)'
    thyme tea -2 bags,
    4 oz. Robitussin,
    lemon juice ( 2 lemons , before squeezing, rind lemon zest ),
    2 spoons oh honey
    10 grams of turmeric powder
    pour 1/4 gallon of boiling water , wait 10 min , drink hot and enjoy (nasty as sh**, but helps me with caught)

17. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Try this one...

Rashmon likes this.
  18. donkeypunch

This one is easier and tastes better.

[​IMG]

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Necro-bump

Recipe:
    Step 1: Marry this woman.
    Step 2: Step back.
    Step 3: Die young but very, very fat and happy.

Atternative recipe:
    1. Move next door.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If you don't have 10 hours to cook ... or ... How I gained 10 lbs during a pandemic ... Try this recipe:

German Chocolate Poke Cake

[​IMG]

Guys, this German Chocolate Poke Cake might be one of the sweetest things to ever come out of my kitchen! When it comes to dessert, this cake means some serious business!

If you’re a German Chocolate Cake fan, chances are you’re going to love this modern take on the classic!

A tender chocolate cake is baked in a 9×13-inch pan then soaked in sweetened condensed milk and topped with a silky smooth chocolate ganache made with German Chocolate.

It’s finished off with a super delicious Coconut Pecan Frosting which is the key to a delicious German Chocolate Cake recipe!

Step 1: You’ll begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F and mixing up your cake batter and baking it in a 9×13-inch cake pan until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Once baked, you’ll use a wooden skewer or the handle of wooden spoon to poke holes all over the cake.

Step 2: Pour a can of sweetened condensed over the cake layer and spread it out with a spoon making sure to cover the whole thing. It’s best to do this step while the cake is still warm so the milk absorbs better. Let sit for 30 minutes.

Step 3: Next, you’ll prepare your ganache with the German’s Sweet Chocolate and heavy cream. Once the ganache has thickened up, but it still spreadable, pour it over the top of the milk-soaked cake.

Step 4: Finally, prepare and top the cake with the Coconut Pecan Frosting, spreading it evenly over the top of the cake but it doesn’t need to go all the way to the edge.