1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody say no to Grevis Vasquez?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vega_281, Jun 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. pnr

pnr Member

He is not a good defender. Ask any Hornets fan and let them tell you about his defense.

2. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Lin isn't a great defender either and hurts you more on offense with his turnovers. Lin is at his best in the pick n roll but unfortunately the Rockets have possibly the best pick in roll player in the league in Harden. Their shooting numbers are comparable but I'd guess that Lin was getting better looks than Vasquez was last year. Throw in that we save $6MM dollars and I'd jump at the chance to make the swap.

3. thisiscaketown

Greivis Vasquez isn't as much of a Moreyball player as Jeremy Lin is. He doesn't get to the rim at a good rate, his 3-Point Shooting is marginally better than Jeremy Lin's, his defense is worse than Lin's, and he also needs the ball to be effective. He would be terrible fit alongside James Harden. The contract is the only reason to consider this trade, but the Hornets have no incentive to trade for Lin now that they have Jrue Holiday. It wouldn't make any sense at all.

4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Lin wasn't aggressive going to the rim last year. Lin needs the ball to be effective. Lin is just as terrible a fit next to Harden as Vasquez and I think he is actually worse. Vasquez takes better care of the ball and with Howard the Rockets will likely slow down the offense some and run more plays.

5. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Vasquez is pretty good at the pg position. liked how he played last year. hopefully he doesnt fall down this year in the statistics department.

6. thisiscaketown

Yet he still got to the line more than Greivis Vasquez, who attempted more shots. Vasquez has a marginally better turnover rate of 18.6% to Lin's 18.8%, which includes Lin's rust after injury. Lin is also better in a half-court offense than in transition, so your point doesn't stand. The Rockets are better off finding a combo guard that can shoot 3's well instead of Vasquez and Lin.

7. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Lin is better in the half court if he is being used in the pick n roll but Harden is going to get most of those opportunities. Lin thrives driving in the lane and running the pick n roll but since Harden is at his best doing the same and does them better Lin doesn't get to shine. If Lin isn't going to be able to do those two things I'd rather have Vasquez who is going to create more and take better care of the ball. Vaquez's TO% was only a little lower than Lin's but he had a higher usage rate, a much better assist%, and a better A/TO ratio. However, I do agree that we would be better off with neither and a combo guard.

8. thisiscaketown

I'm not going to say much more because we both agree on the same conclusion. I used Turnover Percentage instead of the amount of Turnovers specifically because of the disparity in Usage Rate. As for the difference in Assist Percentage, that's a part of Vasquez being the main and only ballhandler for the Hornets, just like the difference in True Shooting % can be due to Lin having a better supporting cast. Isaiah Thomas would have been the best fit for our current roster, but I guess we haven't got him...yet.

9. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Slow on foot, poor defensively, bad off the ball, not a particularly good shooter, no transition game ... excellent passer (but of the mid-range to 3pt shooting variety, not at rim)

10. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

If he wanted to kiss, I would say no.