1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody remember Kes from Star Trek : Voyager?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Nothing can really touch TNG imo as it was the first since the original series.

I do recall liking how Voyager ended, though. They wrapped it up nicely and didn't leave a bunch of loose ends. I never got into DS9 at all...was unwatchable imo. Enterprise was tolerable.

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Can you skip the crap seasons of DS9 and still be able to follow it ok? What season would you start at?

3. Nero

Nero Member

Never found one thing to like about TNG. It was pretentious, lame, and way too touchy-feely. I mean, seriously, a 'Counselor' always on the bridge? So they can all talk about their feelings in every episode? Whoopi Freaking Goldberg as a Haitian refugee bartender?

Data was cool. Everything else was stiff and lame and boring.

Voyager was much more of a character-driven series, because it took the familiar setting of 'Starfleet Ship in Starfleet', and flung them across the galaxy, saddled with a load of criminals as well, all of whom had to learn to work together. I enjoyed the show for the most part, especially the Doctor, and Janeway, Q, Seven, etc. Plus, it had the best opening theme music of any Trek show.

DS9 was meh, it seemed like they took way too long to find some sort of fotting and identity, and by that time I had totally lost interest.

4. SuraGotMadHops

[​IMG]

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

TNG and DS9 were my Favs
    Voyager was ridiculous to me . . .The Lack of friction on the ship after 2 episodes was stupid
    Never warmed up to Janeway but his 1st officer was too soft to be a Marquis captain. After a couple of seasons they got lost in 7of9 and Doctor land . . .which they had to do because they were the most interesting characters on the show

Rocket River

6. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

imo, you can totally skip seasons 1-4. The best part of the show is obviously the war with the dominion. I think this, more or less, gets going full throttle in season 5. I think if you understand the basic premise of the show, it shouldn't be too hard to pick up starting from season 5.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

TOS is my favorite, I don't think any of the others come close to how good it was

Data is probably my all-time favorite character in the Star Trek Universe, but I though the show was hit and miss. Character like Troi and Riker are unbearable. It was good but overrated.

I grew up watching Voyager as a kid, so it holds a special place in my mind. I also think Seven and the Doctor are some of the best characters in the Star Trek world. Also think Janeway is very nderrated.

I've been trying to get into either DS9 lately or Enterprise since they are the 2 I havent seen, but I'm having trouble with both

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Looking at the wiki, there were a lot of garbage episodes early on.

I'd catch the tailend of the 2nd season for some slow episodes that serve as setup for later arcs starting with #39. They're Voyager quality with the show still trying to figure itself out.

Maquis episodes are bleh, but it serves some character development and quite frankly, it's been so long since I watched the show that I can't remember what to skip in between seasons 3-4. There's some slow ones that sets up a reoccuring character for a follow up episode a few seasons later which made the story more interesting.

I like Garak stories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._Nine_episodes#Season_2_.281993.E2.80.9394.29

#48 Invisible Fan, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Watch all the episodes like I did. It'll give you an appreciation for how good it got! :grin:

TNG was always my favorite, and I always thought DS9 sucked because it was some goofy long-running soap opera. Someone on here once posted to give it a chance after the first couple of seasons because it really got good. After binge-watching TNG, DS9, and Voyager, I'm glad I gave it a chance after the first couple of seasons. Once it got good, I thought it was as good, if not better, than anything TNG put out. Those two were my favorites. Voyager had individual episodes that were pretty good here and there. I loved the Species 8472 storyline, and loved the series finale. I still need to watch Enterprise, although I've heard it sucks from many a Star Trek fan. :grin:

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It says right in the article, Tennessee, that means meth.

11. Invisible Fan

I haven't watched much Enterprise episodes, but the last two seasons started doing standalone 3 episode arcs that were good like how the Klingons looked differently than the TOS Klingons.

Seemed like the cutting block upped their game...

I would check out Babylon 5 if you liked DS9. Fillers aren't too terrible and the CG gets much better later on.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OK, if we are going to drift out of Star Trek worlds, I'll have to chime in with Babylon 5. I thought nothing could be better. I laughed at my friends who said, "But you have to watch BSG." I'm like...what, that stupid show I watched as a kid. Then a friend pinned me down to watch his recording of the premiere like 2 yrs after airing. So I got to put BSG ahead and then, same thing happened with Firefly. Like DaDakota says, that's #1. I watched it after DD's high rating.

Duck and Cover if Dr of Dunk doesn't want his thread morphing like this.

Thanks for the thread and posts, DoD. I'm actually watching Kes again because of your post, and will retry DS9. cheers.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Couldn't get myself to watch DS9. Maybe it's the earlier eps. Felt it doesn't even belong to the Star Trek family.

TNG is my favorite (Picard, Data, Forge are the best). Voyager was ok at the start, but quickly fall off. Enterprise was boring as hell, which is a shame because CGI and makeup is so much better.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The first half of DS9 was pretty unspectacular, but the second half of DS9 is easily the best Star Trek ever produced IMO. The writing was on a completely different level becuase they didn't have their hands tied by the Star Trek rules that the good guys must always be perfect and largely self contained episodes. The good guys did questionable things, and the show was very serialized.

In the Pale Moonlight in particular is among the very best episodes of any show, Star Trek or not.

I liked Voyager, but it was a missed opportunity. They were given carte blanche in a new galaxy and never came up with much. the Maquis angle was almost completely forgotten after the 2nd episode. Never clicked as a "great show". If those shows aired today, DS9 would be watch it live, and Voyager would be DVR and watch when I can.

15. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I totally agree with both of these points, especially In the Pale Moonlight, which is straight up AWESOME. I didnt like the show until the Dominion War became the focus.

16. Invisible Fan

Both good shows. I didn't like BSG's last 5 episodes, so I don't recommend them. The entire series is like what Voyager could've been with a different premise.