1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody here who voted for Trump Switching to Biden?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Aug 19, 2020.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

AS far as I know per polls roughly 95% of the GOP were still hanging with Trump at least until recently . I suppose his complete fucup w. Covid might be persuading some.

The whole Dem Convention seems oriented toward appealing to Republicans who might switch, white suburban housewives and liberals who get very excited at a person's gender, race or sexual orientation regardless of policy positions.
    Pretty similar to the Hillary Campaign. I sure hope it works this time.

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I doubt anyone here who expresses support for Trump would say they support Biden. They mostly have resorted to trolling.

edwardc, Blatz, Reeko and 2 others like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You sure like stirring **** up!

Jayzers_100 and RayRay10 like this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I voted for Gary Johnson last go around, but will vote for Biden, despite not really wanting to.

Joe is too old, too full of gaffes, & too creepy, but at least he is a human being.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No body here voted for Trump, so...

But, maybe @RocketsLegend ?

Hillary vs Biden is apple and oranges.

Republican AND independent AND some DEM were willing to give Trump a try. Well, now they know what they got.

Just on math for Biden. A Trump to Biden switch count as 2. A non-Trump and non-Clinton to Biden switch count as 1. A non-voter to Biden switch count as 1. A Hillary to Biden switch count as zero.

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  7. glynch

I don't think I know anybody who has switched. Several of my wife's Latino relatives switched last time after year of voting GOP. I have been stunned that for instance a doctor and two lawyers I know are still hanging with Trump. "I think he is doing about as well with COVID as anyone could do".

deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  8. fchowd0311

At that point I'm assuming those doctors are clinging on to Trump due to culture wars.

malakas and deb4rockets like this.
  9. glynch

In one case, yes, but in the other two I think just an allegiance to a lifetime of voting GOP.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Voted Johnson and was willing to vote Biden/Anybody But Harris. Ive largely been apathetic towards Trump and avoided his constant goading of the Left. C19 definitely made me anti-Trump. His recent comments about running a 3rd term and the only way he could lose is if the elections were rigged have pushed me into Anyone But Trump. I'd be much more open to Democrats if they would get off the identity politics.

DonnyMost, Nook, sirbaihu and 7 others like this.
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

@Os Trigonum did not vote for Trump in 2016 and will not vote for Trump in 2020.

Nook, Rashmon, foh and 5 others like this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

'zactly. Jo Jorgensen 2020

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Great thread and question @glynch.

My take is that this DNC strategy is based off of the data they and really we've all seen from the 2018 midterms, and the special elections. The messaging is basically a blunt instrument geared towards those suburban voters that swung typically "lean red" districts blue in 2018.

I think this strategy bodes better to winning the Senate and growing House seats more than the presidency to be honest. If the strategy is to win the presidency, then the messaging needs to be much more focused on.... frankly old people in Florida (go hard on social security), blue collar workers in mines, and trade messaging to steel workers, etc. to win the rust belt.

The messaging this time and the speakers are more in line with broader themes that speak to the broadest consensus possible.

To be fair though, if you would have told me a year ago that the Dem candidate would openly be putting "Black Lives Matter" in their opening video of their opening video of the DNC, I would have said that it's much more likely that the candidate is Bernie Sanders rather than Joe Biden. So I think keeping things into perspective, it's not like Biden is JUST trying to court John Kasich voters.

The main takeaway that I have is that Biden is going big and going for Arizona, Georgia, and Texas.... and that comes with HUGE risks. There is a chance that those suburban voters end up "coming home" in November. Then there could be a domino affect if he flames out in the next 30 days, the suburbs "come home to the GOP", and there could be a diluted message for the battleground states which ends of losing him the states that decided 2016.

His strategy could be a catastrophe, but it also could win Senate seats they have no business winning in normal election cycles & giving Biden more power to pass progressive legislation than any president since FDR.

To answer your question though:

Nobody here I can think of in the DD, but I bet there are people in the GARM that this question would be better directed towards. Especially their wives. If they are here, they probably were engaged prior to 2016. If they are still in the GARM, and don't go here, they are probably the best people to ask this question to.

#13 dobro1229, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Too funny. Green Party voter fo'sho.

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  15. fchowd0311

She has such nuanced policies such as wanting to eliminate the department of education. And you probably laugh at people like AOC for not being pragamtic.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think there are several here who voted for trump and persist in saying they didn't, yet continue to defend everything he does (and doesn't do).
    Good luck getting them to admit it. Kudos to the few who said they did and are voting for Biden this time around. Those are the sane people. In my opinion.

Two Sandwiches, Reeko, Lar and 4 others like this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not "probably." I do laugh at AOC.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Exactly. I think the outspoken ones here are locked in. And you really need to be locked in to continue to excuse what he's done. As I said above in my wall of text, the right place to ask that question is actually the GARM. The strategy of the Biden campaign is to win over people in the suburbs of cities like Houston that don't like to engage in politics at this level. The D&D isn't the place you'll see movement in polling. The GARM is.

Deckard, RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  19. glynch

I guess I should have asked if the folks in the D and D know anybody who is switching. I frankly don't know that many Trump supporters who I can ask in real life.

edwardc and RayRay10 like this.
  20. fchowd0311

I know plenty. Some are switching to Jo mainly after Mattis threw the gauntlet on Trump. But the vast majority are still defending his ass religiously.

edwardc likes this.