1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

anybody here live in UK?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by YoYao, Aug 18, 2003.

1. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

You will have trouble watching the NBA unless you are talking about nationally televised games, which you can find on satellite.

You will probably need a sportscoat and slacks, but not necessarily a suit for university. But a suit would work.

Don't ever order a Bud Light, Miller Light, or Coors light. Go with Newcastle or Guiness, you will get in less pub fights with the locals with one of those in your hand.

Clothes may be cheaper over here but I miss London shopping.

I imagine with your sense of humor you will be able to party like animal over there. Most Brits are open minded and like to laugh. I would stay away from soccer stadiums unless you are with a group.

2. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

That's a much better way of describing the basketball you'll be able to see. Sky generally only pick up nationally televised games.

I'm still not sure that you'd need clothes that smart if you're just attending university, but then, like I said earlier, I have several suits, so I probably don't notice.

LeGrouper is right, London shopping is good. Norwich ain't London though, and it'll take about two hours to get to London from there on the train. Norwich City is a soccer club with a good reputation in terms of fan behaviour, I wouldn't be too worried about going to a game there.

3. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

So YoYao, have you decided between Leeds and Norwich? Or had you already made your final choice before you started the thread? I still say Leeds. :D

I don't really think you will need smart clothes if you are just going to go to University. I mean, I think people would be a bit surprised to see you walking into a lecture with a suit. ;) I'm not even sure you will need a sportscoat and slacks. Depends on what type of events you are planning to attend. But if you are just thinking in terms of going out and university, casual and your usual clubbing gear should do.

4. YoYao

YoYao Member

I already made my choice like half yr ago, can't change now, among all the univeristies that provide courses related to my major are leeds and UEA, and I picked UEA. hopefully, I made a smart choice.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Thanks for the help. I will throw another question out there how are girls diffrent in London compared to here.

6. YoYao

YoYao Member

yea, do they dig tall handsome chinese dude? :D

7. YoYao

YoYao Member

who can also dance by the way :D

8. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Absolutely. Do you know any tall, handsome Chinese dudes? :D

9. YoYao

YoYao Member

I am not sure, him?
    [​IMG]
    he seems really charming to me

10. LeGrouper

I found the girls to be way more forward over there so that will probably be good if your are shy and like the girls to come talk to you. In certain parts of England it will be hard to make friends with locals because they can sometimes be anti-American, not like they want to beat you up, but just that they don't really want to hang out with Americans or want Americans hanging out at their pub, stealing their women. But in others the locals seem to seek out foreigners because they find them interesting, so if one area gets you down, keep looking cause you will find places you like to hang out.

11. YoYao

YoYao Member

so should I tell them I am chinese or I am american? :cool:
    I thought I would be the exotic species over there :rolleyes:

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

"exotic species"

that is a diffrent way of putting it.
    :confused: ;)

13. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

yea one of the things i noticed when i was in london last summer was that there aren't that many Oriental people living there (or at least i didn't see many, other than tourists)...in the US, when you use the word 'asian' to describe someone, people almost always assume you're referring to an Oriental person...but in london, when you use the word 'asian' to describe someone, people almost always assume you're referring to a South-Asian person (ie. Pakistani, Indian, etc)...i guess there are a lot more South-Asians living in the UK than Orientals...

14. YoYao

YoYao Member

It is all about demand and supply :) seems like I would be in a good market :D

15. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

All of y'all talk about being in the UK and seeing magazines in the past year.

Anybody happen to see my brother? (He got paid for a day's work of 'modeling' as an American for some magazine article. He was rated out of the others from Scotland, Ireland, other places. He got third:(.)

Anyway, if you're looking for a job there, good luck! The market is horrible right now. He was in search of a film/documentary/news position in the year he was there. He had a crappy, tiny one room (about half the size of a normal dorm room) that was actually right near the Museum. He ended up working as a temp for a small production company, taking and making phone calls, and was a usher at the worst play by night.

The good thing is he did meet his current girlfriend (whom he now lives with in DC).

By the end of his year there, he couldn't extend his visa (too much red tape). On his way out, he was offered a job at ABC News London. He couldn't take it.

So now, he still is jobless, lol.

What's the point? DON'T EVER MAJOR IN TELEVISION/RADIO/FILM unless you plan to a talking head.

Of course, this was London....

Good luck YY.

16. LeGrouper

Just be yourself, I'm sure you'll do fine. Just remember not to order girl drinks at pubs and never ask for a light beer.

17. YoYao

YoYao Member

why is that?

18. Zion

Zion Member

Should have gone to Leeds. I did my undergrad there (University of Leeds) and had a ball.

19. YoYao

YoYao Member

had a ball?

20. LeGrouper

They will think you bat for the other team.