1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

anybody here live in UK?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by YoYao, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Evidently, yall were relaxing with a heaping bowl of p***y..........cat..;)
    You dont watch Bonzai do you?

2. YoYao

YoYao Member

do you know any thing about their computer graphic classes? that is the reason I go there. I could have gone to leeds, but I think they are more toward pure art and design than actually teach you the techique of how to do CG stuff. so how's the farming country? they do have clubs and pretty girls. right?

3. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Don't know if I'm late, but I'm staying in Southwest England at the moment. Cornwall for those who know of the country.

4. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

I've only been to Norwich once, but it seemed OK. If you were looking for nightlife, Leeds would have been a better bet, to be honest, but Norwich is a largish city, so clubs and bars should be plentiful.

They are both solid universities, but beyond that, I don't know much. I attended Durham and Newcastle, and the only person I know who went to UEA is my cousin, and she studied Law.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Where are you party? ;)

6. YoYao

YoYao Member

your cousin is hot? :D

7. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

My cousin is 26, and has long since left Norwich. Sorry! :D

8. YoYao

YoYao Member

do you think I should buy my cloth here in US or buy in UK? and anything I should bring with me?

9. YoYao

YoYao Member

man................... :(

10. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Get your clothes in the US, they're cheaper over there. Don't bother getting a tux, you can rent one if need be (you won't much). A suit? Dunno, since I've always had one, but I wouldn't call it a necessity. As long as you have smart trousers and shirt, you'll be fine.

11. reallyBaked

reallyBaked Member

toothbrush, toothpaste..

those arent available over there :D

12. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Leeds would be a way better choice for girls and night life. There is no doubt about that. It's good in terms of education as well.

13. YoYao

YoYao Member

did you go to church? Ace :)
    maybe I should go to leeds. man oh man

14. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

hey YoYao, buy your clothes from French Connection...they have really cool clothes and it's based in the UK

www.frenchconnection.com

15. YoYao

YoYao Member

by the way, can u guys actually watch NBA game there? I thought they only show soccer games. and they don't even have basketball court in university

16. YoYao

YoYao Member

****!

17. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Shame on you YoYao. Have you learned nothing from Baqui99?

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I may be living in London in a few months. I have a few questions if anyone could help me also.

What does a smallish apt. or flat cost, in terms of dollars. The apt. being decent and large enough for me and my girlfriend to live comfortably.

And what area would you suggest to live in. I will not have a car.
    Can you get around the city with fair ease without one?

Any help would be great thanks.

19. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

OK, I'm not resident in London full-time, so I'm not ideally placed to answer your questions, but here goes:

A car won't be an issue particularly. In fact, driving around London can be a nightmare. Other than going to the supermarket for groceries, I can't see too much need for a car.

Are you working in London? If so, then you should look to live somewhere that doesn't take you hours to get to work. There'll be a trade-off of accommodation cost and travel cost, but the shorter the commute the better.

I don't have any real concept of living costs in the US, but rent in London ain't cheap. I have two friends living in a flat in Putney (which is on the Thames, and not too far from central London), which is nice, but not huge, with two bedrooms, and they pay £1100 a month. I'll leave the dollar conversion to you, but there would be council tax on top of that (a tax by your local district to pay for amenities, trash collection and so on), but I think that utility bills are included.

Of course, the advantage of the size of London is that accommodation is available at almost any price, but your distance from the centre will be much increased. The other point to bear in mind is the length of lease. I'm not too well informed about short-term leases, since all the situations/costs I'm aware of are for people living in London long term.

Finding a couple of rooms in a shared house might be a good alternative, and enable you to live closer in. Of course, then you'll have to trust your judgement about the people that you're living with.

Drop me an e-mail if you like, and I'll get in touch with some friends living down there, and find out if they have any lettings agents to recommend.

Finally, areas to live in. It's very hard to give you areas to live in, as London is huge, and there are so many choices. Maybe an idea of budget, length of stay, and why you'll be here will help to come up with some ideas.

20. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

One of the satellite TV companies shows a couple of NBA games a week, although I don't think they're live. There is also an American Sports channel, which shows MLB games (and live, which means the middle of the night!), but I'm not sure if they carry the NBA.

I played basketball for my university (which should give you some idea of the standard!), and in general, UK universities have good sporting facilities. There will definitely be a multi-purpose gym with at least of couple of courts. Recreational ball is a definite possibility. Hey, try out for the team if you're any good.