1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody have the Big Green Egg?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Mar 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

I've had a BGE for a few years now. Pretty happy with my purchase except I would have gone for the biggest one I could have afforded at the time (or saved). I have a medium and for someone who likes to entertain, it's just too small. I'll usually cook on my Weber Kettle.

The BGE is a tank, does everything as advertised and holds pretty good resale value. Temp control is pretty awesome on it. I smoked a pork shoulder on there for 18 hours and it held steady at 225 for 18 hours on one load of charcoal. On the other end of the spectrum, I've got the BGE to temps well over 800F for searing. Burnt all the hair off my forearm because I forgot to burp the grill.

If I could do it again, I would opt for the XL or even an oval shaped kamado. It just makes more sense to me. The medium, though, is perfect for a couple or small family.

As far as cooking a whole chicken, co-sign on spatchcock. IMO the most important thing is to not over cook chicken, and the easiest way to do that is with a thermometer.

Finally, for some pretty cool accessories, check out

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/

I suppose if you already own a BGE you've seen this site before.

OK I'm done.

2. Buck Turgidson

...and quail, and dove, and...well I guess I've never tried a duck

Never heard of a spatchcock, I just always called it "butterflied"

3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Yeah me too until a couple years back.

4. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

5. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I just read some stuff on that grill. It looks to be pretty decent. You might want to head to Amazon.com and read some of the 1-star ratings, though. The quality seems to be a bit inconsistent and the customer service seems to leave people wanting. Some of the owners aren't too confident that the unit will last for the long haul. The Amazon model was discontinued earlier this year, but you can still get an idea of what the grill and company are like from those reviews. There are a ton of positive ones there as well.

At $350, though, it's probably worth the risk. I'd hope to get 4-5 good years out of it and then upgrade to a higher quality one if needed/wanted.

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

put it on a plate in the fridge, uncovered, and not touching anything else, for 1-2 days.

then grill.