1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody have the Big Green Egg?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Mar 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I live in Houston, but may have to get the Smokey Mountain just to smoke. I would have to store the Green Egg in the garage and move it a couple of steps every time I want to use it. If its that heavy I don't want to risk cracking a $1000 grill.

But I did want to use it to sear steak also and can't get my gas or the performer upto 800 degrees.

2. R0ckets03

wow...thanks for the help! i want something I can smoke, sear and bake pizza with. But I just don't know about spending a $1000 on a charcoal grill. Think you may have convinced me to start looking though.

3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Fajitas ala Big Green Egg

Skirt steak
    Fajita seasoning
    Pineapple juice
    Lime juice
    Worscheshire sauce
    Onion

Season meat then marinade in 3 parts lime juice and 1 part pineapple splash of the Worscheshire sauce the longer the better..

heat grill to medium high ~450-500

Grill over open flame 4 mins per side, remove to rest wrapped in tin foil.

Add cast iron skillet to grill and bring up to temp add sliced onion and a tbs oil. Sauté until soft. Add sliced fajitas to cast iron and finish with onions.

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. R0ckets03

Just saw the medium today at Costco for $579, but I need at least a large.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That's the biggest criticism about them. You have get the XL to get the same space as a Weber kettle. I would love to have them for pizza.

6. VanityHalfBlack

dat da cheapest one??? still some left???

7. R0ckets03

That's the only size they had. I was at the Richmond location yesterday and they had three or four boxed up.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Wait, why do you need an egg for steak? A kettle will sear a steak in 3-4 minutes. Load up a full chimney or two of lump charcoal.

Seriously, I am much more interested now why your performer cannot sear steak. Are you using just the built in burner to light the coal? No chimney?

#28 Bandwagoner, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  9. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Just got home from having some really great pizza a la BGE, it was superfantastic. Thanks Voodoo.

10. Bandwagoner

The whole problem with pizza is getting the air temp high enough so the top and bottom cook equally, and it is critical because pizza cooks so fast. Unlike steak you can't flip it so tons of fuel won't help much in getting your toppings cooked.

What I am getting at is any "pizza oven" that involves opening the top like a kettle or BGE to put the pizza in, has a major design flaw. All of your hot air is gone when you put it in and when you rotate. Your stone will be hotter than the air for a significant percentage of the cooking time.

Anyways not to bag on the egg, but for serious DIY pizza cookers you need a hacked weber or a real brick pizza oven.

[​IMG]

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Are there instructions on how to make the frankenweber. I've been looking for one because I don't make pizza enough to justify building a dedicated oven.

12. raj87

raj87 Member

It looks like the designer just topped off his kettle with a cupola that he grabbed right off the old Maginot Line.

13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Glad you enjoyed it.

And I completely forgot to take a photo of any of the 6 pizza's I made so here's a photo of my bird dog that decided to try to catch the birds in the tree 10 feet or more up an oak tree while I was cooking.

[​IMG]

14. Bandwagoner

Everyone makes them differently so if you DIY it will likely be a combination of whatever ones you found that you liked. This one is really low tech

http://backyardpizza.blogspot.com/2011/03/frankenweber-is-in-full-on-construction.html

but it just comes down to your cast and refractory cement recipe. If you don't care that much you could buy this

http://www.kettlepizza.com/

It won't be as good as a cement top but it will be better than opening the top.

15. R0ckets03

Anybody have the Kamado brand? Costco has the large version for $569 and the medium BGE is $579.

Same type of grill and about 30% cheaper.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think they have BGE "fests" year-round at different locations where they discount BGE's. Not sure how those work, but there's one happening in Austin in a couple of weeks (probably not worth the drive, but there may be one in Houston).

17. Bandwagoner

Even if the quality is the same the owner support and "eggcessories" pale in comparison.

Can we get back to why you cannot sear a steak on a weber kettle? I checked this thread for a while looking for that. The Performer is an awesome grill and is a steak making dream.

18. le081488

le081488 Member

Love my performer, just have trouble keeping the temperature at a certain range at times. Tips?

19. Bandwagoner

you mean stable when slow cooking or when searing steaks?I don't do much slow cooking on the kettle, but the best simple tip I can give you is to put more lit fuel than you think it needs and then throttle it back with the top vent with very small adjustments. Keep bottom wide open at all times.

Always easier to hold back a strong fire than to get more from an under fueled one.

20. R0ckets03

Don't think I said that a Performer or Genesis can't sear steak. I'll put my steak up there with anybody.

I mean't I want something that is easy to use for searing steak, smoking and baking a pizza. And now I've read that the Green Egg can be used as a tandoor also!

My dilemma is that my balcony is kinda small. I'm going to saw off the left side of my Genesis so it fits perfectly on one side. Can't get rid of my gas grill as I grill 3-4 times a week. And no way am I lighting up charcoal that many times.

On the other side of my balcony I think I have just enough space for the BGE. Might be coming home with one this weekend.