1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody ever have to deal with flooding in a garage apartment?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s land balla, May 24, 2017.

1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I'm thinking of potentially purchasing a house inside the loop (not in the floodplain) that has a known issue with flooding in the 600 sq.ft. 1-bedroom detached garage apartment (the main house does not have any issues with flooding).

The garage apartment already requires quite a bit of renovation work, so if I move forward with the deal, I'd be doing a complete renovation of it anyways.

The current tenant of the garage unit has been living there for 18 years. I spoke with her about the flooding and she indicated that if it rains really hard, and doesn't move along for two days or so, there's a chance she'll get water. It starts in the back corner of the unit (opposite from the front and only entrance) and comes up from under the bathroom. She currently has false bottoms in the closets for this reason. She mentioned that a tiny bit may go along the back wall as well.

The next place that water would enter is from the kitchen. The tenant has a pump and if she puts that next to the bathroom, it does a pretty good job of staying ahead of it.

When I viewed the garage unit in person, my initial thought was to slope the driveway more because I figured the water was coming in through the front. But now it sounds like the main problem is water coming through the back (there is no back door to the unit; on a front entrance).

Anyone have any experience in rehabbing something like this? I was hoping to spend no more than $10,000 on rehabbing the entire 600 sq. ft. unit (floor, cabinets, counter tops, sinks, paint, bathroom, shower stall, etc.). The goal is to rent it out for approx. $1,000/month.

Doable? Or steer clear?

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Steer clear. It is probably worse than they are telling you.

s land balla likes this.
  3. s land balla

I was thinking this as well, but she has been living in the unit since the 1990's and has been dealing with flooding since Allison.

If this was an issue with the main house, I would definitely be steering clear. The main house is about 4 or 5 steps above ground on a pier and beam foundation, so there is no issue. I had the house inspected and this was confirmed.

For what it's worth, the current owner has been in the house since 1988, so it's not someone who is bailing on a property they recently bought.

Astrodome likes this.
  4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Are the sides of the apartment properly graded? If the sides face grass and soil, it could be as simple as adding graded dirt and plants to push water away from the apartment (plus plants help absorb some of that).

We had minor water issues in our basement in heavy rains. We just bought a bunch of dirt, did the grading ourselves and put in plants and haven't had any water since then.

s land balla likes this.
  5. s land balla

Will look into this when I'm at the property this weekend. One issue we noticed when the inspector was there is that there's no way to get back behind the garage unit (other than using a ladder and scaling the entire roof of the garage). Since the tenant said water typically enters from the back of the unit first, this seems problematic.

6. geeimsobored

Ah that's not good. Worst case, you might have to invest in drain tile and a sump pump. That's a few thousand dollars up here but it might be more expensive since people in houston don't usually have that stuff.

But grading does wonders. Everyone here is religious about it since flooding is normal due to snow melt and the litany of streams that run under every house here.

s land balla likes this.
  7. s land balla

There's a huge tree stump to the right of the driveway....I'm going to request that to be removed because I think it'll allow for alley access to the back of the garage unit. The garage tenant is currently using a sump pump. Interesting thought on the drain tile, I'll look into that.

The thing is, the current owner doesn't seem to be the most construction savvy person, so this might be a totally easy fix (she is in her late 80's and lives alone).

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Are there gutters?

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Get a drainage company out to design a repair plan. You'll want to make sure you have the basics:
    • Proper grading
    • Downspouts with extensions
    • Effective gutter system
    • Replace dirt near the structure with gravel
    • French drains
    Then the higher grade drainage system components come in. It's possible you can pump the water out and away from the garage. Sump pumps, pop-ups, etc... moisture barriers on the walls, internal/external. if you're not boxed in by other structures there's definitely a way to waterproof that garage. But you're looking to spend at least $3,500.

s land balla likes this.
  10. geeimsobored

There's a lot you can do. Sump pumps are only half as effective without drain tiling to direct water to the pump. Also, look into french drains if you're going to do any work in the exterior. French drain and drain tile are terms used interchangably but we've only done the french drain from our window wells so they didn't connect to the actual house. But a full drain tile system includes tiling to push water to a central location and then there are the actual drains and/or sump pump to push it out of the structure.

There's lots of flood mitigation options you can do. Just make sure that the foundation and the building structure don't have any issues from water damage.

#10 geeimsobored, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    s land balla likes this.
  11. s land balla

Very helpful, thanks! That $3,500 would be very well spent. The current tenant of the garage is only paying $450 a month since she's been living there for 18 years and I'm sure her rent hasn't gone up at all since then.

If I renovate the whole unit ($10,000 budget) and fix the flooding issue ($3,500 budget), I'm pretty sure I could rent out the place for close to $1,200 a month. It's in a pretty sweet location in Montrose.

12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

This is what I was going to say. First would be to make sure there aren't any foundation issues since there's supposedly been flooding problems since allison.

13. s land balla

Good stuff, gentlemen. My dad is a structural engineer so he's going to go out there later this week to look at the foundation of the garage. I called a drainage contractor to take a look as well.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, foundation/structure is most important and then preventing it once you're all in. Also I can't recall but make sure it's insurable, I have heard of issues if structure was completely flooded multiple times.. I realize it's rental but just want to make sure you're covered in case you resell it.

Especially if they're not telling whole truth about flooding etc

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And the 18yr tenant gets the boot. She must be chatting with you hinking you're going to help her and fix the problems around the place, but your plan is to get rid of her, likely making her move from Montrose, so a revolving door of foreigners with more money from OKC or NYC -- or maybe even Russia -- can move in, to increase the charm of the "sweet locations" in Montrose.

Sad story...

Truly don't mean this as disrespect or judging, because it's what any new owner would and should do to improve their property,,,just makes me sad for her part of the story.

s land balla likes this.
  16. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Is this the longest CF thread asking for help without a lame joke posted?

s land balla likes this.
  17. s land balla

I agree with you 100%. But that's life. She is more than welcome to sign a lease with me once I fix up the place, but she'll have to pay market rent.

18. s land balla

I was thinking the same think. :D

Just goes to show you that Houstonians have a soft spot (no pun) for flooded homes.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Joking about this deserves its own thread.

Os Trigonum likes this.